Summary

Beer, Crackling Roast Pork, Fish & Chips, Pork chop, pork, steak, Black pepper chicken, Hainanese roast pork, chicken salad, clams in beer stock, next time going for fish & chips, pork fillet View all
After Work, Dinner, Lunch, Vibrant/Noisy, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Large Groups/Gathering, Boys Night Out, Chillout, Girls Night Out, Live Band, Cheap Eat/Budget, Hidden Find, Supper View all

Inconsistency Mars The Experience

Full The New Harbour Cafe & Bar review here: http://ivanteh-runningman.blogspot.sg/2014/03/the-new-harbour-cafe-bar.html

Located in Tanjong Pagar, The New Harbour Cafe & Bar serves a large variety of general Western food. Think Hawker style Western food with a Singapore / Asian flavour, but more upmarket. The biggest problem I have with The New Harbour Cafe & Bar is the inconsistency of both the food and service.

Ambience at The New Harbour Cafe & Bar is average. Think typical bar, dim lighting, functional but not so comfortable wooden furniture, and beer decor. The good thing about The New Harbour Cafe & Bar is they have quite a large indoor and outdoor seating area. Outdoor seating tends to be more popular, and the place can get pretty crowded.

Service at The New Harbour Cafe & Bar is sometimes good, sometimes bad. Non peak periods means the staff have more time to pay attention to you and food is served quickly. But peak periods can mean grumpy staff, long waiting times of more than 30 minutes, and poor food quality.

The New Harbour Cafe & Bar doesn't have a speciality cuisine, with the menu consisting of a mix of American, British, German and Asian flavours. Dishes are generally tasty with big portions, but similarly upmarket prices of hawker western food. I personally find The New Harbour Cafe & Bar to be poor value for money, and the food quality can be inconsistent as well.

The absolute best dish here might be the Fried Chicken Wings In A Basket, the perfect bar snack. Crisp, pipping hot chicken wings, juicy inside with meat that comes off the bone easily. The skin is crisp and fragrant, with a slight hint of spice. Excellent!

The Pork Chop With Apple Sauce is bordering on good. Nice pork flavour, and the meat was cooked through. However, it was slightly dry, slightly tough, and slightly overseasoned. Worse, I experienced 3 small bone chips. Plus the potato wedges were rather hard and dry as well. While I loved the sweet Apple sauce, done perfectly in the British style, I won't be ordering this again.

Most helpful reviews for The New Harbour Cafe & Bar

UTTERLY DISAPPOINTING SERVICE

Went to the cafe for a farewell lunch with my colleagues after getting some recommendations from our friends but we were TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED not by the food but the SERVICE.

An enjoyable lunch turn out to be DISASTROUS when we found white crawling insects which looks like maggots in our ketchup bottle after we finished our main course. We highlighted the issue to one of the waiter but nothing was done by the cafe, no apologies and explanation was given. One of the senior waitress even came with a bowl of ketchup sauce, claiming that there were no flies or insects in it. She even have the audacity to question us and tell us that we should have told them about it while we were eating. This form of customer service is totally UNACCEPTABLE. We inform the cafe out of courtesy and concern for other customers who would be dining there only to receive this form of treatment from the staff, no explanation or apology was given. The only thing we got was sacarsm from the staff. This was what the senior waitress said, " THANK YOU for informing us about it after your meal" and she rolled her eyes.   I mean why are we even paying the cafe customer service when this is the type of service we get.

We are ABSOLUTELY DISAPPOINTED with the cafe. Despite the nice chill ambience and relatively good food, we would NEVER EVER go back to the cafe again unless we are utterly bored and in desperate need to get pissed off by other people.

not fantastic

Food/Drink 1| Value 1| Ambience 1

Bad service staff. Insist that we ordered the crispy pork and even pointed her fingers at my friends. Bad attitude... Nothing fantastic about the food. Don't recommend going

Muddy Clam Soup & Poor Service

I had always like their clam soup but after last night's experience, I think I will never touch it again. Halfway through my soup, I found a clam with black mud in it and soon the soup turned muddy. I felt disgusted and told the Filipino waitress about it when she was clearing the bowl of clam shells. I told her politely to inform the chef to check before he starts serving to other customers. She said nothing and walked away. No apology. Nothing! Very disappointing.

Nice chill out place

Been here a few times and usually after work to have a drink and to have my all time favorite black peppet chicken!

Atrocious service!

Don't waste your time and money here. So the roast pork and wings are not too bad but it's not worth the risk of having your evening ruined by utterly bad service. Staff are rude and sure make you feel like you owe them big money. I don't wish to elaborate more cos it makes my blood boil all over again. This was my 2nd time there ( cos everyone deserves a 2nd chance) & sadly, both experiences have been most unpleasant. I don't ever write negative reviews cos I don't want to slam any businesses. My only contributions here are in the form of thumbs up for many other good restaurants but today I really felt compelled to express a little more for this place cos a happy birthday celebration was completely ruined by their appalling service and beyond bad attitude.