Reviews for Nolboo Hangari Galbi (Orchard Central)

AsianBarbecueKoreanSteak and Grills

Spicy Korean Steamboat

First try for us, after that I didn't go back, even now and then I passes by so many times.  The steamboat was alright for us, however, the side dishes weren't as good as compared.
14 Dec 2014 • 1 review • 0 follower

Nolboo Hangari Galbi - Top up $3 to have more lettuce for your BBQ, seriously?

We were loitering around hunting for food when we came across Nolboo Hangari Galbi at Orchard Central. It looks decent at first, so we decided to give it a try.

The service was awful. we waited a while at the reception, and the staff doesnt seem interested to entertain us. We did not really had a choice of where we prefered to sit, the other tables were claimed to be reserved (which there were customer who randomly walk in later and took the seats). We believe it was a marketing strategy to seat us by the main door to attract more customer.

The food was average. We ordered a BBQ wine pork belly and kimchi pancake. Despite the pathetic amount of lettuce that was served at the beginning, we were shocked to find out we need to top up $3 to refill the lettuce. I had never experience this at any of the Korean BBQ restaurant before. We started to wonder whether we will be charged for the kimchi that we requested.

To visit again? No, definitely not.

01 Aug 2014 • 7 reviews • 0 follower

Overpriced Korean food of meagre portions

The restaurant was empty when we arrived. The prices of the menu shocked us. A bowl of rice cost more than $2++.We ordered bulgogi ($28++) and seafood soup. The portions were not generous. No sauce for the bulgogi lettuce wrap (unlike it when you eat in Korea). Seafood soup is basic with a few small pieces of seafood in a small bowl. Kimchi are all vegetables + 1 fried fish (unlike in Korea you get crabs and squids) in little dishes.  The portions are not sufficient for 2 of us but as we like the fried fish, I asked for 2nd helping. What's good was they allowed me to have a 2nd serving of the fried fish.

For 2 pax, we spent $60. very steep. We might as well walk over to Concorde Hotel to our usual Kim Dae Mun restaurant (moved to 2nd floor) and have the very same dishes for less than $20 and in larger portions.

Service is ok and I believe most are Filippinos as they speak with the signature "yes mum".

Frankly? I won't be back. Food is mediocre but expensive. The irony is after we finish the dinner there, we walked down Killiney Road and found a new, nicely decorated Korean restaurant there!!! Looked at the menu and we moaned! Should have gone there instead alamak!

So far we have tried a few Korean restaurants in Singapore and must say, most if not all have quality of similar levels. The only difference as I see is price point. Kim Dae Mun is the cheapest as it's food court style. But it offers a quick and economical fix for me as I love bulgogi (after the first visit to Jeju). Of course, still nothing here beats the authentic Korean food I tried in Seoul and Jeju, better quality and cheaper. I wonder why. Most of them are opened by Koreans (or seem to be). Why don't they just taste the same or offer the same Kimchi and sauces as in Korea?
12 Jul 2014 • 316 reviews • 86 followers