Summary

Mee Siam, Chendol agar-agar, Laksa, Tau Suan View all

Only if you like waiting

The food is good - almost every item is good, almost.  i love especially the mee siam, and the tau suan.  Some of the kueys are really nice as well.  That's the good part of this cafe.

The bad parts are many:
* Though the seating has expanded, there are still insufficient seats when there is a crowd.
* The prices are inching up rather quickly.  It is getting to be rather pricey eating there.
* The opening hours are no longer shown.  Last Sat, we had to wait for about 1 hour.  We were told it would open at 12.15pm.  (Last time it was 11.30pm).  But at 12.25pm, the queue was not even moving.  If not for my daughter who would act up I would have not even bothered waiting.  When some patrons complained about having to wait so long, they were told "It's nothing.  You were early".  (The audacity of it.  Your stall was late in opening and we were faulted for being suckers for waiting).
* I noticed the trend - everytime some people catered for food, the cafe goes out of whack.  They become late in opening as they tend to the caterees.  Everyone else have to wait.
* The gentleman serving is trying to be nice and tries to chat up every customer, and tries very hard to upsell you with other dishes.  Thank you but hello, can you serve faster?

Seriously, there are many good places for food in Singapore and if this cafe is too successful for its own good, then it is time people spend their time and money elsewhere.  You want to leave an eating place feeling happy about your meal and what you paid for it.  But not so for this cafe lately.  I'm so disappointed now that as for me and my family, we are staying away.

Most helpful reviews for Nonya Delicatessen

Bad Customer Service Unhappy Sour Plum Face!

I was there twice, food is good, service is very bad. I am a Peranakan myself. How can the standard of service is this very very bad? The shortest man is the boss the wife is the one that made the kueh kueh. I checking online see what's the comments out there surprising many people is unhappy about his service. I hope the Media and Public knows about this which is very unpleasant for customers and I believe they will lose the customers in the long run.

Bad food with horrible service to match

$6 for a bowl of mediocre laksa/mee siam with hard tau pok and lack luster broth. The laksa had no kick, you're better off having a bowl of $2 laksa at sungei road. The auntie next to me was also complaining about the hard tau pok and tasteless broth. The measly portion of mee siam tasted watered down, nothing fantastic. Their mango sticky rice had sour and hard mango with undercooked rice; Their chendol had packet coconut milk that was served in clumps, both did not constitute the high price. The kuehs were also disappointing.

But what irritated me more than the food, was the conceited cashier (could be the owner?). He thinks of himself as highly witty and intelligent, taking it upon himself to correct everyone's chinese when his chinese wasn't that great to begin with (let alone his English). When there's a long queue, is it really necessary for you to want ALL your customers to say 一杯 barley, 两碗 laksa, instead of just 一个, as long as you understand the order, isn't that good enough? His tone was unbearable, he even walked up to where I was sitting to tell me that my friend's chinese '很烂' (very terrible). Maybe the long queue isn't because of the good food, it's because the server takes it upon himself to give everyone an aural examination.

Very limited seating, only go if you enjoy squeezing and bumping elbows with everyone. Also, saw a baby cockroach running around in their kitchen. All in all, a horrible experience, you're better of eating anywhere else.

Dun bother.

Food is good but hate the pushy sales. Especially this short and stout guy who thinks he's very witty and know-it-all. Ask for tips shamelessly when u dint give exact and end up giving u 5 cents coins change when ure not tipping. Seriously, what's wrong with u. NEVER going to patronise again.

expensive food, small portions, long wait

Tried this restaurant the other day and agree with other reviewers that although the food is good, the servings are too small and the prices are really expensive. $5 for a plate of Mee Siam seems a bit too much and esp for such small serving sizes. I did ask the server about the price and he is a smooth talker and said it was because it was very good. Also agree that the server will try to steer you into buying more things and more expensive dishes. However he is polite and helpful. If price is no obstacle, I would recommend this place. If not, I would think twice before going back.

Don't bother

Ridiculously expensive kuih and the prices are not labelled to lead you into buying revolting expensive food that is completely not worth the value. The bread and butter pudding was priced at TEN DOLLARS. It was soggy, too sweet and a complete waste of money. The kuih was subpar and too oily for my taste. Didn't quite care for the slick and silver-tongued attitude of the cashier who was very condescending. Don't bother coming to this place. Waste of money.