Review for NOX - Dine in the Dark

EuropeanModern EuropeanWestern
Address: 269 Beach Road, 199546

07 Apr 2014

Interesting Dining Concept

Fantastic dinner with zero vision but awesome tasting on my boyfriend's birthday. Strongly recommend this venue for special occasion. For more information and pictures, you may visit my blog post http://lynnechua.blogspot.com/2014/04/bfs-birthday-celebration-scrambled-eggs.html, please scroll to the 2nd half of the page. :)

More reviews of NOX - Dine in the Dark

Loved it

As educated Foodies my wife and I have always been fascinated by the concept of dining with heightened senses through not being able to see what you are eating. The lead couple in the very good movie 'Once Again' met in a blackened restaurant. We attended Nox last night for my birthday, expecting to have a laugh and come out covered in food and wine. We absolutely loved it, and didnt drop a single morsel... The food, delivered to you in absolutely total darkness by fully blind waiter, was superb. Four tasting bowls per course, for three courses. The wine matched to the food was exquisite. The total bill came to $310, including food and matched glass of wine. At this price we wont be back regularly, but are already planning our next event with friends.
Overall

Interesting experience for a price.

We were looking forward to enjoy a different experience dinner. Overall the experience was different and interesting. I find the drinks rather overprice, the food was ok. Maybe we did not have a good menu this week, i heard this place changes the menu every week. But for the price, I thought it would be better. ( total bill$268 with a cocktail each) Overall an interesting experience, but s pricey one.

Birthday celebration

overall it was a good experience. but most probably I won't go back again as this kind of dining experience once is good enough.

when we reached, we were seated at a common lounge . Was kind to "forced" to order drink as we were seated there for quite long. Maybe it's one of their tactics.

Dinner was good. But without seeing the food I doubt you can truly enjoy the food. Nevertheless, the dining experience is something new. As we can't "see", my husband and I has more conversations instead of just seeing The hp. As the menu is fixed, definitely there are some food which I don't like.

Lastly, we were brought back to the same common lounge. As my husband order a birthday cake , the waitress just bring the cake out without saYIng any birthday greetings. She just place the cake on the table. So all your Neighbours will look at you. You will feel so awkwardlY. The staff didn't even bother to offer to take picture for a good dining experience.  My advise is don't bother to order birthday cake from there. Save your money. One slice is any $20.

Dine in total Darkness

For more details, please visit http://www.foodesteem.com/2015/04/nox-dine-in-dark.html

For those whom might not have heard of NOX, it is a concept where you basically dine in total darkness.

This is how the concept works the moment you stepped into NOX. The service crew will also present you a lanyard and some-sort of the carabiner to hook the locker keys, where you will be told to lock any light-emitting devices as well.

NOX's does not have a menu, where you get to decide what you would like to eat. Every course you have, will be a surprise from the start of the course till the end of the course. For those with dietary restrictions or food allergies, you may raise it up and NOX will make special arrangements to ensure you get the surprise, as well as food "comfort".

Amuse Bouche, is the only food where we get to the see its presentation, and know what we are eating, where to pick up the spoon to scoop, and place in into our mouths with unerring point.

Finally it was our turn to enter and only get to see partial of the ascending staircase that just went up to darkness. The visually-impaired guide introduced himself to us with politeness, and told us to place our hand on the shoulder on the person in front. We have no idea how the upper storey look like, panic rose as darkness dawn on me and my eyesight literally became useless.

Our sense of hearing seems to be more sensitive than before, amazingly. It seems like any usual restaurant, but the lights turned off and windows nailed with cupboards. You can hear people chatting, laughing, sounds of pouring water in the drinking glasses, putting utensils back on the table, as well as shifting of the chair, and so on.

As we reached our table, we were told to feel our own chair, and directed to turn to the correct direction in order to get seated. The moment I sat down, I felt a little more at ease knowing I am now seated, and a table is now right in front of me. We were further told to feel the table with our hands, where to the right is our serviette and a pair of utensil (fork and spoon) rest on the top, further up is an empty glass for pouring water, and a little to the left will be the drinks that we had ordered and brought up along with us.

We have the appetizer, main, and desserts in the same arrangement, with 4 small bowls containing different food and placed on a hotplate-like plate, all at the cost of $88++ set menu. We were told to start taking up the first bowl nearest to us, and then making our way to the other bowls in a clockwise direction. We took up the first bowl, tried to sniff out what it could be, and pick up the utensil to start tasting. We had to hold the bowl close to us, so that we can have better accuracy in having the food in our mouth. I shall not disclose what we had, but overall, the food ranging from appetizer to dessert, is fared above satisfactory.

Interesting Experience

More on: http://www.estherxie.com/2015/04/nox-dine-in-dark.html

we were led up by a server, who welcomed us and told us to put our hands on each other's shoulder in a row while we walked up the stairs. we were led to our seats. When I touched the back of the seat, I thought that the chair faced the opposite direction but luckily he guided me to face the correct side else I would probably land on my butt! At that moment, in total darkness, I needed and relied on the assistance of a someone else. THe servers made me feel comfortable and calm. The food was not spectacular but I enjoyed the experience of dining in the dark very much. I don't mind visiting again since the menu changes quite often!