Nuvo has relocated.

Review for (Relocated) Nuvo

Address: #02-100, Marina Square Shopping Mall, 6 Raffles Boulevard, 039594
17 Feb 2014

Italian favourites with Modern Asian Flavours

Opened by the people behind the Lady M confectionery, NUVO offers some pretty decent food at decent prices. The restaurant has recently changed it chef and is now helmed by Chef Mark Richards, who is previously from Keystone restaurant. He is very well known for his sous vide dishes and has put an innovative spin on dishes, while showcasing the best of Italian and Japanese ingredients.   Our first appetizer – Crispy Calamari ($18), hits us with a blast. The Togarashi-scented calamari is deep fried perfectly to a nice crunchy texture, with a mild spicy taste from togarashi. Sous-vide watermelon with syrup balances the salad nicely with its sweetness. Toss it with some wild rocket and white balsamic, this is a good start to our lunch.   Curry Bread, or Kare Pan, is the King of the Japanese bakery. Nuvo’s Focaccia Curry Pan ($22) brings the traditional curry pan to the next level as chef uses wagyu beef in the Japanese curry sauce, and served with Japanese pickled cucumber and sour cream.   My favourite for that day is the Lobster Risotto ($28). Rich and intensely full-flavoured, the rice is cooked with bisque, edamame, ito togarashi, scented with truffle oil, fully evocative of the culinary pleasures of southern Italy.   Even though we were already pretty full, there’s always room for dessert, and the folks at Nuvo know how to satisfy a sweet tooth. I dived readily into their Green Tea Pan Di Spagna ($12) served with banana jam, matcha sponge, hello panda crumble, and found myself wanting more with every bite. Usually, I find matcha sponge too bitter and cloying but I was pleasantly surprised by how light the sponge was, without compromising on the flavour. A must-try.   Nuvo has a lot going for it if it can iron out the minor kinks. It has a good 3 course lunch menu of very affordable price at $13. You can also chill out and enjoy the view with special cocktails by the maestro Ethan Leslie Leong from Maison Ikkoku. I think the yuzu one will be a hot favourite among ladies!

More reviews of Nuvo

Refreshingly intriguing

For pictures and full review, pls visit:

Tucked in a corner of Marina Square Shopping Centre’s The Dining Edition, NUVO is a little difficult (but worth the effort) to find. Executive Chef Mark Richard (formerly from Keystone), helms the kitchen and marries Italian and Japanese cuisine to create unexpectedly exciting and creative hybrid fare.

The restaurant itself is spacious, decorated in muted tones and furnished with warm woods. It also has a lounge with an extensive wine list, specially crafted cocktails, spirits, rums and liquors, plus bar snacks for those who like to graze.

Our dinner started with warm herb bread basked with seaweed butter.

Oh, the velvety Vanilla Mushroom Soup was so lovely! The first thing that hit us was the aroma of the White Truffle essence, drizzled onto a flowy Onsen Egg.

The Salmon Crudo was dressed with Furikake Tobiko, Yuzu Pon and adorn with green apple. I was lukewarm towards this entree, but M enjoyed it.

The classic North Italian Eggplant Parmigiana with mozzarella and tomato fondue is given a Japanese twist with the addition of sweet miso. Nothing too fancy, just simple and genuine.

Made from roasted bone marrow, the Agnus Osso Buco Stew had an unusual partnership with Tsukii Oyster Fritter. The starter was spruced up with shimeiji mushrooms and pickled cucumber for bursts of acidity. I personally felt the combination too heavy, and would have preferred something lighter to highlight the rich flavors of the stew.

One of NUVO’s signature dishes, each strand of the al dente Angel Hair Wakame is coated with Lobster essence and Rayu oil (chilli oil), providing just the right amount of mellow flavour and heat. The simple but delicious pasta was adorned with Tamago Furikake, which added another dimension to it.

M’s Pepperoni and Ricotta Niku Dango was wholesome and gratifying. Tossed in spiced tomato sauce and sweet peas, each ribbon of pasta had a nice, firm bite and was not too thick, thus inheriting the flavors from the sauce beautifully. More Italian influence is observed in the tender Japanese meatballs, which had Ricotta Cheese embedded within.

Sweets included in the set meal were really dainty, but the Fuji Apple and Parmigiano Reggiano Torta dessert was so captivating I wished it was full-sized. The elegant pastry had a mild savory flavour imparted from the cheese, harmoniously complemented with Fig and Honey Ice Cream.

Less stellar was the Japanese Kinako Delight, with espresso and honeycomb giving the western touch. While the mochi’s texture was beautifully soft and chewy, the combination of flavors didn’t make quite make an impression.

Despite some misses, we felt NUVO offerings are appealing enough to warrant a repeat visit. On weekdays, the restaurant serves 3-course set lunches for $15++ and 4-course set dinners for $35++. On weekends, diners can look forward to Nuvo’s Bottomless Prosecco Brunch a la carte Buffet ($40++)

Very bad experience

Don't bother patronising this place. This place probably have the worst staff in the whole of Singapore. It's so bad that we didn't even bother sitting down and I registered myself in InSing just to provide my feedback! Entirely spoilt our NYE mood. The 85% vote is probably a hoax!

Lunch Review

Nuvo, located at the corner of Marina Square, may be a slightly difficult find, but the meal is certainly worth the find.

At a recent visit, I started with the Applewood smoked tomato soup, which had a nice roasted scent with a deep tomato flavour.

For my entree I had the Osso Bucco Stew, which was served in a small portion so it was not too heavy.

The main course was the Angel Hair Wakame, with the noodles well marinated in lobster essence and rayu oil

Finally for dessert, I had the Fuji Apple nad Parmigiano-Reggiano Torta. Paired with ice cream, it was a nice sweet way to end the meal.

30licious menu at S$30++

The restaurant is a bit out of the way, hidden from the main area. Interesting dining area style. We start the meal with a breadstick each and some butter. The breakstick is served hot and has tomato taste.

Applewood Smoked Tomatoes (usual $10)
Momotaro . Italian Sausage . Pecorino
The soup is quite tangy and creamy, but lacking of the sour taste which is commonly found in tomato soup.
Vanilla Mushrooms (usual $10)
Onsen Egg . White True Essence . Croutons
We could smell the truffle oil from far. It smells great and tastes quite rich. The only thing is that the serving looks quite small.

Salmon crudo (usual $18)
Furikake . Tobiko . Yuzu Pon . Coriander
We are surprised by the dish. Thin slices of raw salmon in sesame dressing, topped with crunchy green apple sticks. A great combination.
Angus osso buco stew (usual $28)
Shimeiji Mushrooms . Tsukiji Oyster Fritters . Pickled Crumble
Served with a basil tasting thick sauce, it helps to cover the strong taste from the deep fried oyster.

Angel hair wakame (usual $18/ $24)
Tamago Fukikake . Lobster Essence . Rayu Oil
It served pipping and looks quite simple, but tastes quite yummy for such a plain looking pasta dish.
Kurobuta pork belly (usual $32)
Kakuni Style . Seaweed Fries . Karashi Aioli
It is served on a wooden board. The piece of pork belly looks real fatty with its layers of fat, but it has melt in the mouth texture.

Japanese kinako delight (usual $12)
Azuki Beans . Espresso . Honeycomb
The Japanese style mochi is very smooth and light, while the red bean paste has salty taste, follows by a bitter aftertaste, unlike the usual sweet version. It is very unique.
Fuji apple and parimigiano - reggiano torta (usual $14)
Fig and Honey Ice Cream . Crumble . Flake Almonds
The dessert is served hot and soft. It reminds one of bread pudding with its texture, but very cheese after taste. The ice cream is crunchy and not too sweet. The hot and cold combination is a great one.

Although the servings look small for most of the dishes, we are both quite full after the meal. The place is quite relaxing and unqiue in its own way. The food served is unique and light in taste.

Terrible experience for birthday celebration

Wanted to try this place after reading some positive comments but turned out to be super terrible experience. Came here today with family to celebrate my son's 17th birthday. They did not put in any effort to make customers satisfaction for special occasion but instead they charge 'cake corkage' if you bring your own cake there :( We ordered the 30licious promo by Amex and turn out to be such a disappointment. Portion is extremely small trust me, I'm not exaggerating. We order the osso buco as entre` and only 1 tiny fried oyster served.... where's the bone marrow???? My family were joking about the main course which we ordered - kurobuta pork belly that serving could be just 1 tiny slice based on the entre` portion, guess what? we were right!!!!! 1 miserable slice of pork belly served. The highlight of tonight was supposed to be the surprise birthday dessert that Nuvo promise to serve with candles but end up another disappointment. The panna cotta served without candle so I asked if they can provide candle. The waiter told us the dessert is too soft to put candle not even 1 candle. Ok I can understand and didn't want to make a fuss but he hold the bowl and shake the dessert just to prove that it was soft and the panna cotta went swinging in the bowl making the dessert look DISGUSTING. Come on, the dessert was supposed to be my son's so call birthday cake and the waiter just ruin the whole d*** highlight. The whole ambience, experience, service and food portion are total let down. Taste was nothing spectacular and no wow factor. Will never come back. Worst dining experience and worst thing is celebration dinner.