Reviews for O-AN Japanese Restaurant

2.8

AsianJapanese
Address: Hong Leong Building, 16 Raffles Quay, 048581

Decent and affordable Japanese set lunches

Located at the basement area of Hong Leong Building in bustling CBD area, this enigmatic and quaint little Japanese restaurant holds its own rather well, especially during lunchtime. It offers bento sets, assortment of ramen and rice bowls, as well as delivery of party sets. the sets are very reasonably priced as well, ranging from SGD$13.90 to SGD$35++.

The first was the Chirashi Don set (SGD$20.00) , comprising of a bowl of Japanese filled generously with small pieces of raw fish (sashimi), a cold tofu starter, pickled vegetables, Miso soup, and two slices of water-melon.

The. Sashimi dices were quite fresh, with buoyancy that bounced with every bite. We spotted salmon sashimi, tuba sashimi, swordfish sashimi and salmon roe etc. It was delicately delicious, a satisfying set for lunch a la an adult's version of "happy meal".

Next, there Gyu Don set (SGD$13.90) and we turned it into Gyu Tama Don (beef with egg and rice) by adding egg at an extra cost of SGD$2.00. There were sweet onion strips, lightly flavoured, as well as tender beef pieces that melted in the mouth readily after a few chewy bites. The addition of eggs gave it a smoothness as well as hint of sweetness and more moistened

For full review and more detailed information, please feel free to refer to:
• 13 Aug 2015 • 1 review • 0 follower

The worst ramen in Singapore

Overall
I went to O-An for lunch with a few friends and from prior experience was prepared to wait for a long time for the food to arrive. The restaurant is packed at lunch time and appears to be severely understaffed. What I wasn't prepared for, however, was the bowl of horror about to masquerade as Spicy Tonkotsu.

I ordered the $13.90 lunch set (which is a trap, because I ended up paying $20.85 including service charge and GST) and added $2.90 for Spicy Tonkotsu ramen, with a side of chashu and (half a) boiled egg.

The pork bone broth was cold (think "Winter is coming"), the noodles had an entire ocean's worth of salt packed into them, and the pork...where do I even begin?

I picked up a slice of chashu with my chopsticks and chewed. And chewed. And chewed. And I think you know where this is going. Honestly, I have no idea how they managed to cook it so badly, why it was so dry and rubbery, and why the slices were so d*** thick! I spent a good amount of time Googling "How to cook chashu properly" in the evening, and I learnt two things:

1. It is not that difficult
 2. Do not look at delicious pictures of food after eating an unsatisfactory meal

Anyway, back to lunch. I am an optimistic person, so I thought, "Okay, so the chashu in my ramen sucks, but maybe all the extra chashu I ordered will be yummy."

No points for guessing what happened when I tried one of those slices. I even tried removing different parts of the slice and eating only the tender bits, but when there are no tender bits...sigh.

Keeping with my inability to write anything off completely, I have to admit that the chicken karaage that my wise lunch companions ordered was good, but if you need a ramen fix, please head to Circular Road instead.
• 28 May 2015 • 500 reviews • 7 followers

Decent and affordable Japanese set lunches

For full review and more detailed information, please feel free to refer to:
  • Exterior
• 11 Jul 2014 • 1 review • 0 follower

good for value set meal!!

Overall
good restaurant to dine w friends.
authentic japanese food with cheap price.
wide variety of set meal.

Need a table now? Book these restaurants in less than 2 minutes