Review for O-AN Japanese Restaurant

AsianJapanese
Address: Hong Leong Building, 16 Raffles Quay, 048581
17 Feb 2014

Groupon purchase.

Went here with the groupon purchase. Service is terrible. Not enough staff. Worst part is extremely terrible communication. Were told its 0.50 for a cup of tea. At the cashier then put out a piece of paper said 2.80. Talked to the guy and I think he's prob jap and don't speak to us at all and just keep pointing to the 2.80.

Totally disappointed with this place.

Will never come back to this place or recommend any friends to this place.

More reviews of O-AN Japanese Restaurant

Overall

Decent and affordable Japanese set lunches

Located at the basement area of Hong Leong Building in bustling CBD area, this enigmatic and quaint little Japanese restaurant holds its own rather well, especially during lunchtime. It offers bento sets, assortment of ramen and rice bowls, as well as delivery of party sets. the sets are very reasonably priced as well, ranging from SGD$13.90 to SGD$35++.

The first was the Chirashi Don set (SGD$20.00) , comprising of a bowl of Japanese filled generously with small pieces of raw fish (sashimi), a cold tofu starter, pickled vegetables, Miso soup, and two slices of water-melon.

The. Sashimi dices were quite fresh, with buoyancy that bounced with every bite. We spotted salmon sashimi, tuba sashimi, swordfish sashimi and salmon roe etc. It was delicately delicious, a satisfying set for lunch a la an adult's version of "happy meal".

Next, there Gyu Don set (SGD$13.90) and we turned it into Gyu Tama Don (beef with egg and rice) by adding egg at an extra cost of SGD$2.00. There were sweet onion strips, lightly flavoured, as well as tender beef pieces that melted in the mouth readily after a few chewy bites. The addition of eggs gave it a smoothness as well as hint of sweetness and more moistened

For full review and more detailed information, please feel free to refer to:

Terrible food

I went to O-an on a weekday evening with my family armed with a groupon deal and we had an education on how not to do Japanese food
Restaurant was 25% filled and we were seated at a table where the overhead lights were not working. I asked the waiting staff and he basically didn’t do anything

- Tempura was the most oily I tasted
- Ramen was salty and the 70% fatty pork char siew with really tough skin is an anomaly I never encountered
- Chicken karraage is fried till blacken in some parts
- Grilled saba fish is full of bones and too sweet
- Sukiyak tasted of MSG and I was really thirsty after

Japanese food is my children fav and they were polite enough to finish the food on their plate but told me afterwards in a soft voice that the food is really so as not to hurt my feelings for bring them to this place.

I tried 0-an’s set lunch last year and there were quite decent and value for money. Looks like O-an launched the evening groupon deal with an overworked skeleton crew of service and kitchen staff that produced the worst Japanese food I ever tasted.

The worst ramen in Singapore

I went to O-An for lunch with a few friends and from prior experience was prepared to wait for a long time for the food to arrive. The restaurant is packed at lunch time and appears to be severely understaffed. What I wasn't prepared for, however, was the bowl of horror about to masquerade as Spicy Tonkotsu.

I ordered the $13.90 lunch set (which is a trap, because I ended up paying $20.85 including service charge and GST) and added $2.90 for Spicy Tonkotsu ramen, with a side of chashu and (half a) boiled egg.

The pork bone broth was cold (think "Winter is coming"), the noodles had an entire ocean's worth of salt packed into them, and the pork...where do I even begin?

I picked up a slice of chashu with my chopsticks and chewed. And chewed. And chewed. And I think you know where this is going. Honestly, I have no idea how they managed to cook it so badly, why it was so dry and rubbery, and why the slices were so d*** thick! I spent a good amount of time Googling "How to cook chashu properly" in the evening, and I learnt two things:

1. It is not that difficult
 2. Do not look at delicious pictures of food after eating an unsatisfactory meal

Anyway, back to lunch. I am an optimistic person, so I thought, "Okay, so the chashu in my ramen sucks, but maybe all the extra chashu I ordered will be yummy."

No points for guessing what happened when I tried one of those slices. I even tried removing different parts of the slice and eating only the tender bits, but when there are no tender bits...sigh.

Keeping with my inability to write anything off completely, I have to admit that the chicken karaage that my wise lunch companions ordered was good, but if you need a ramen fix, please head to Circular Road instead.
Overall

good for value set meal!!

good restaurant to dine w friends.
authentic japanese food with cheap price.
wide variety of set meal.

Don't waste time..!

Don't waste time, unless you don't have a choice. The food was bad, 1 order of sashimi with 2pcs only and is not fresh, with huge variety on the menu but they only have 1/4 of the item available, ramen was overcook with vey little soup, Hand roll taste funny with low quality mayo, green tea tasteless and is $2.80. Run by Japanese sisters but can't even set a standard. Only one word for this restaurant "S**k"