I went to O-an on a weekday evening with my family armed with a groupon deal and we had an education on how not to do Japanese food
Restaurant was 25% filled and we were seated at a table where the overhead lights were not working. I asked the waiting staff and he basically didn’t do anything
- Tempura was the most oily I tasted
- Ramen was salty and the 70% fatty pork char siew with really tough skin is an anomaly I never encountered
- Chicken karraage is fried till blacken in some parts
- Grilled saba fish is full of bones and too sweet
- Sukiyak tasted of MSG and I was really thirsty after
Japanese food is my children fav and they were polite enough to finish the food on their plate but told me afterwards in a soft voice that the food is really so as not to hurt my feelings for bring them to this place.
I tried 0-an’s set lunch last year and there were quite decent and value for money. Looks like O-an launched the evening groupon deal with an overworked skeleton crew of service and kitchen staff that produced the worst Japanese food I ever tasted.