Reviews for Ocean Restaurant by Cat Cora

AmericanMediterraneanSeafoodWestern
Makan Time

Great place for family

When there for a birthday celebration with my partner, find it quite noisy as there were kids running around especially near the tank.  Nevertheless , the staffs were quite considerate of customers sitting near the tank and would ask the crowd nicely to not block the view.

Initially , my booking was a table away from the tank however, upon arrival we were brought to a table next to the tank. Which was quite disappointing at first as frequently,  large group of diners would stand just next to our table to take photos. Therefore it is highly not recommanded for romantic dates.

All service staff was great in providing service, food looked presentable, taste was normal and the scenery was the utimate deal for the price.

I paid $60++/set for lunch, not including $10 top-up for the beef.

Complementary parking provided! Saved me the cost for $7/hr parking at rws. Wonderful!
14 Dec 2014 • 1 review • 0 follower

hair in our food!

We went for our anniversary lunch. The food was decent but we end up having hair in our main dish and the restaurant staff don't seem apologetic about it. The only thing they could do was give a 15%discount!!! There was no feeling sorry for d bad quality serVed
Duck leg , great favouring!
17 Oct 2014 • 4 reviews • 0 follower

Great place for family

I paid $60++/set for lunch, not including $10 top-up for the beef.

Seared hokkaido scallop, $62
30 Sep 2014 • 147 reviews • 6 followers

Disappointing

Since staying at RWS ocean suite will set one back by $2000 a night, I decided to enjoy the same underwater effect by dining at Ocean Restaurant opened by Cat Cora, a renowned celebrity chef and first female Iron Chef in Singapore.

My friend and I came on a weekday evening. Reservation is definitely a must. I underestimated their popularity. I called 4 hours prior to our intended 7.30pm visit to learn they only had a 9.30pm slot left.

We decided to go ahead with 9.30pm although the lady on the other end informed the restaurant closes at 10.30pm with last order at 10pm. Worried that my friend and I wouldn’t be able to finish our meal within an hour, I asked if we could continue to linger after 10.30pm. However, the lady must have thought I wanted to hang around to see the fishes cause she replied “But they switch off the aquarium lights at 10.30pm. So you won’t be able to see anything.”

We were also informed that we are required to spend at least $58 per person.

We were given a table just beside the aquarium. So I guess if one really wants a good table, do state one’s preference when making reservation. And it could be because we were given a corner table, coupled with the fact that we arrived pretty late, we did not have any issue where our view was blocked by other diners who would stand between the table and glass to get a better view of the fishes.

And from the menu, we ordered:- 1) Amuse bouche, Complimentary

2) Tartare of pink shrimp, $28 – Dashi jelly, compressed watermelon, avocado & yuzu-soy reduction. I did not like the taste of the chopped shrimps against the watermelon. It was an odd combination. The shrimps left a weird aftertaste in the mouth too.

3) 42 degree sous vide salmon, $32 – Salmon mousse, citrus minestrone, ikura & shaved fennel salad.

4) Beet & cheese tartlet, $22 – Layers of puff pastry with fontina cheese & beet puree. Surprisingly, of our choices for appetizers, it was this dish of non-seafood that stood out. Think layers of crisp, buttery pastry for the tartlet. Nice.

5) Lobster milk, $25 – Raw marinated lobster & creme fraiche. We were first served a bowl without the soup so that we could see the ingredients nicely plated within it. But what took me aback was how the staff roughly poured the soup instead of slowly into the bowl. To the extent that the soup actually spilled over the bowl.

Due to (silly) 3000 characters limit, continue to read my review here: PART2

I guess due to the really disappointing appetisers and mains, dessert was the highlight of our dinner. Which was a great shame cause one would think Ocean Restaurant would do well in terms of dishing out seafood items especially with their menu centering around seafood.

The lights for the aquarium starts to dim out by 10pm. So if one only manage to get a late time slot like me, do try to take pictures early! =)

----------