Back to Ocean Restaurant by Cat CoraSEA Aquarium, Resorts World...

Anniversary7 votes
Birthdays5 votes
Relaxed5 votes
View/Scenery4 votes

Madame Chewy
 • 13 Dec 2013 76 reviews 7 followers
Overall
For pictures and full review (because there is a word limit), pls visit:

For the past few months, Hubby and I have been so preoccupied with work and since he had to clear some leave; we planned an excursion to SEA Aquarium plus a meal at Ocean Restaurant I felt I was dining under the sea!

Opened by world renowned Iron Chef Cat Cora, Ocean Restaurant is her 7th restaurant and the 1st in Asia. It offers a one of a kind dining experience. Guest can dine right next to the world’s largest aquarium-spectacular 18.2 million litre Open Ocean Habitat which houses more than 100,000 marine animals from over 800 species, including huge manta rays.
We made reservations a few weeks in advance. Upon requesting for a table next to the aquarium, I was informed that tables will be allocated on a first come first served basis. We arrived early and were glad that our efforts were rewarded!

Mirrors are installed on the other side of the restaurant so that diners can still enjoy the view (albeit it’s a reflection) should their backs face the stunning aquarium.

Ocean Restaurant features seasonal, light and sustainable seafood with Californian and Mediterranean accents, with Asian influences.  Most of the service staff seemed pre-occupied, perhaps because of the closed door event that was going to take place in the afternoon. The sweet and friendly waitress who attended to us assisted with picture-taking eagerly.  She informed us that Ocean Restaurant changed the set lunch menu recently. Her command of English was not very good so we communicated in Mandarin. Each course was served at a tortoise-slow pace. We welcome this as it gave us ample time to admire the magnificent view.  I get the feeling that this is deliberate.

Set lunch cost $60++ for a starter, main and dessert. Choices are limited but well-selected. Diners can choose from 6 starters, 6 main courses and 3 desserts. If do not wish to have the set meal, the minimum spend per pax is $38+. Drinks are on the high side- $8 for still or sparkling water and $6 for a glass of soft drink or bottled juice (no tap water).
I expected a bread basket but there was none. Usually fine dining places always have complimentary bread. Oh well. Perhaps the restaurant should look into this because food servings are petite; we didn’t feel full at the end of the meal.
Cabbage and Bacon Soup with Chicken liver mousse, toasted brioche and truffle oil ($18). The creamy, savory soup went well with the toasted brioche in the middle, adorned with onions and spring onions which gave a nice crunch.

42°C Sous Vide Salmon ($24) served with textures of lemon and dukkah spice. Dukkah is an Egyptian spice mixture blended from nuts, seeds and tasty spices. The most distinct flavours I detected were peppercorn and cumin. The right way to enjoy this dish was to get a bit(reached the word limit, pls check out my blog link above, have not even start on the mains yet!)

Anniversary, Birthdays, Business Dining, Fine Dining, Quiet, Relaxed, Romance/First Dates

umakemehungry
 • 11 Dec 2013 36 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Fried Pork Seafood Roulade was yummy and reminds me of a cut section from Ngoh Hiong. Looks like a fusion of chinese and french cuisine. It was fried to golden brown crisp,  made up of chicken egg yolk, sweet muscat vinaigrette and ginger oil. The roll packed a crunchy noise in every bite with the chestnuts fillings. the only let down of this dish was that the vinaigrette sprinkled on the appetizer was miserable.

When it felt wrong and ironical to have Sashimi with the live fishes swimming in front of you. It's just like telling the fishes "Look! I'm eating your pals!"

The pieces of yellow tail (hamichi) was prepared with Sake Mirin Emuslion. While I'm searching for wasabi, there was none and I found out that they tastes great even without those spicy raddish. The dish was rather refreshing with citrus juice from the grapefruit. Texture of the dish was enhanced by adding Avruga Caviar & pink radish ice.

Braised Boneless Wagyu was paried with celeriac Puree, Sauteed Mushroom and Caramelized Oat meal. Flawlessly prepared, the meat was crispy at the exterior with even wellness and filled with juiciness as I chewed. Light & satisfying indeed.

Slow cooked salmon was adorned by the popping fish orange roes on the small slab of rolled up salmon accompanied by cauliflower tempura, cream cauliflower and hazel nuts. The salmon was put under fire in slow process in such that the meat of the inner and outer was consistently cooked. It tasted abit raw and abit cooked. Just like the wellness of the beef, medium well.

Finally, the WoW reactions had come out from me. We looked at the desserts with wide opened eyes, it never disappoint. Vacherin had textures of Strawberry with Creme Fraiche. Presentation was lovely as it seems, just too bad that the portion was small.

Mont Blanc make up of hazelnut Meringue, Chestnut Paste and Vanilla Ice Cream. Artistically designed with a cross pattern with golden glittering color drawn on the plate which makes the dessert stands up and live up to its namesake.

Notes:
(1) Reservations to be advanced to avoid disappointment

(2) Carpark fees are expensive. We parked about 1 hour sharp costing $11.
(3) Minimum spending of $38 ++ per person is required.
(4) Place was rather cold, wear abit more.
(5) No serving of plain water.

Anniversary, Birthdays, Business Dining, Nice Deco, Relaxed, Romance/First Dates

dkc
 • 03 Nov 2013 6 reviews 1 follower
Overall
It's good they could accommodate children, although mine were a bit noisier than most ...

It was quite difficult to reserve seats. I guessed it was due to the small number of tables. A set meal was S60++ with starter, main and dessert. There was a minimum spending of $38++ if you went ala carte. I found the desserts better than the main courses. The Cripsy Kurobuta Pork Belly is good, crispy on the outside and tender inside.

The BAD - They didn't serve water, you had to ordered a bottle, juices or soft drinks. This is outrageous and it would keep me from going back ever. Most fine dining restaurants served water and it's readily available here. Food portions were small as well and you wouldn't be filled at the end of it.

Anniversary