Review for Onaka Restaurant & Wine Bar

InternationalVegetarianWestern
GoodFoodHappiness • 15 Aug 2014 • 49 Reviews • 1 Follower

Upsetting experience!

This restaurant has completely deteriorated in terms of service and offering. I hardly ever write such nasty reviews, but my experience today really upset me. I used to enjoy eating lunch in Onaka and have done so several times in the past, especially when I want healthy and reasonably affordable set lunches. I went back for lunch today and was surprised to learn that the set meal no longer comes with a drink. And apart from that, only a more expensive 3-course option is available unlike in the past where you could choose between 2 or 3 courses. Nevertheless, my friend and I still happily went ahead and ordered our lunch sets and asked for cold water to be served. Few mins later, they came back and served us piping hot water -- when we asked if they could change it to cold water instead (giving them the benefit of the doubt that it was an honest mistake), we were told that it was now their "policy" not to serve cold water unless we pay for sparkling or still water. When we asked whether they can serve ice on the side and we'll add it to our hot water ourselves, we were told NO because it was their policy not to do that unless we ordered a proper beverage. I thought that was absolutely ridiculous!! I wanted to walk out of there (unfortunately my set lunch had already come). I can't imagine that a proper restaurant would actually refuse to serve ice to their guests! The least they could do like other restaurants is charge a nominal amount for iced water. Needless to say I was completely unhappy and I'm surely never going back to Onaka. They may have saved a few cents from giving out iced water, but they have now lost a returning customer.
Overall