Reviews for Ooi Japanese Dining

AsianJapanese

Book a Table

Call our Reservations Hotline

+65 6884 6884

Wonderful dinner! Great people!

After a quick google-ing, I found out Ooi Japanese open till late. Thus, a call was quickly made to enquire and to make reservation. And over the phone, the staff said it was no issue if we could reach by their last order which was at 10.30pm. However… Maybe it was the hunger, or my Formula 1 wannabe friend that we managed to reach by 10pm! Yeah.

And from the menu (pages 1234567), we ordered:-

1) Seasonal omakase course, $250 comprising of:-

(A) Appetiser – Baby sea eels, black beans, vinegared sea cucumber, ginger, spring mountain vegetable, eggplant, herring roe and tofu. The Japanese sea cucumber was different from our Chinese’s. These were crunchy. Its texture somehow reminded me of fish head soft bone that I had elsewhere. For the tofu, we were told to try it plain before trying it with sea salt. And I preferred it plain. I liked how smooth and milky the tofu was

(B) Assorted sashimi – Prior to my visit, I had read fellow blogger Bibik Gourmand‘s post and learnt of chef Koichi’s skill which is not acquired by many. And thus, when I placed my order for omakase, I specifically requested for the mantis shrimp. My heart nearly dropped when they thought they had run out of the mantis shrimp. As one can see from the menu, items are crossed out when they’re sold out for the day. And I was given kanburi (amberjack), kinmedia (alfonsino), toro (tuna belly), nama shako (mantis shrimp), yariika (arrow squid), hirame engawa (flounder fin), nama maguro (tuna) and jisaba (saba mackerel). And indeed, we were told only a handful of chefs in Japan had the skill to remove the shell and serve these fresh without boiling. Lady boss was really cute as she joked with us, “Chef catch mantis. I catch chef (as husband).” Haha! However, the mantis shrimp was a little (too) mushy for my liking. But given that only a few chefs could serve this raw, and that we are lucky to have one of the few chefs in Singapore to try these mantis shrimp sashimi (conveniently), I say it’s a must try!

Due to the (silly) 3000 characters limit, continue to read my review on other dishes here:PART2

The warmth of the staff at Ooi Japanese left a deep impression on us. My friend and I felt very loved, which showed in the most simple task of topping up of our green tea. The staff would change the entire cups to ensure our teas were hot. And most of our dishes were also presented to us by lady boss who explained everything in great detail. We felt very special as she went “Chef specially prepared this… “, “Chef wants you to try…” But of course, after having tried their omakase course, I realised the various components are also available on the a-la carte menu. Thus, if one knows his/her likes, one may go a-la carte instead of omakase

Although they close at 11pm, they did not rush us when we only managed to finish our meal at 11.30pm. Lady boss and the staff even walked us out when we left the restaurant. Such great people, really!

---------
PS : I am a blogger too! Lifestyle blogFood Blog
• 07 Feb 2015 • 172 reviews • 7 followers

Wonderful dinner! Great people!

And from the menu (pages 1234567), we ordered:-

1) Seasonal omakase course, $250 comprising of:-

---------
PS : I am a blogger too! Lifestyle blogFood Blog
  • Appetiser of 'seasonal omakase course', $250
• 03 Sep 2013 • 2 reviews • 0 follower

yummy

Overall
Good authentic Japanese prepared by a chef who cares . Very fresh fish so go for the sashimi. Be warned you get what you pay for so not cheap.
• 30 Dec 2011 • 37 reviews • 18 followers

Charming.. just charming!

Overall
My friend loves Japanese food so I picked this place off here after reading the reviews.

As the reviews say, this place is tiny! As you walk in, first is the private room following by the "bar seating" style as you walk in, then 3 (or 4) more tables a few more steps inside. You can walk the length of this place in about 10 steps. But it's lovely, cosy, with their own Japanese folk coming in to dine; you know the place is good when the locals eat there ;)

We were told to wait for awhile (a few seconds maybe) as they apologized and thanked us for waiting while they cleared a table for us. Aww...

Cosy quiet little corner. :)

The menu took us some trouble to understand how to order, in the end we got the (only) wait staff to help us with ordering and recommendations.

My friend loves ootoro so we ordered some of that, a sushi plate with only ONE toro so we ordered another SINGLE toro separate (see pictures included).

The grilled fish was recommended by the staff so we took that. No regrets! Wonderfully tasteful.

We ordered some Japanese booze, and you get to choose your cup from a beautiful range which will be shown to you.

Sorry I didn't take a picture of the beef! (Can't remember what we ordered) but it was goooooood, the black sesame sauce over it added a fragrant kick that makes you go "mmmmmm" when you put it in your mouth. Friend and I were still 'wiping' up the sauce even after we finished the beef. That was the first dish, it was quite late and we were hungry.

Anyway, the sushi plate, you are at the "mercy" of the chef what fish he wants to give you. The toro is a definite. I cannot remember which dish the miso soup comes with, but the soup has a good deal of ingredients and taste.

As for dessert, we ordered green tea ice cream with red bean (Japanese classic) but they were all out of the green tea ice cream! Lady boss is ADORABLE (what my friend says "charming"), she came up to us to apologise and "cry" (imagine those cute Japanese girls with their two hands rubbing their eyes and crying), and even said "so pai seh", but offered us vanilla ice cream in replacement.

[You can ask for her name card. She's definitely Japanese but knows words like 'pai seh' and 'sayang'. Hahaha!]

The vanilla was HEAVENLY! Your usual sticky red bean "paste". Just nice sweetness that goes very well with the vanilla ice cream.

One thing to note, the telcom reception is a bit wonky, apparently a lot of her customers tease her about the bad reception; she joked with me saying her customer bully her about "not paying the phone bill" as my friend had to go outside to make a phone call.

Charming place indeed, with an even more charming lady boss. And a real deal of Japanese food! If you don't mind the price, of course... :P