Reviews for Oriole Coffee + Bar (Pan Pacific Serviced Suites)

3.4

Western
Address: #01-01, Pan Pacific Serviced Suites, 96 Somerset Road, 238163
17 Dec 2015

Good Food, Ambience & Service

My husband and I ordered a salad and 2 mains. with UOB 10% discount we paid $64. The food was yummy and had generous serving of fresh ingredients. (unlike PS Cafe Petit's overpriced cargo-laden food!). Our main were cheek pasta, seafood baked rice. I'll surely go back to try other dishes.

More reviews of Oriole Coffee + Bar

Overall

Great coffee, decent hearty brunch.

I’ve always loved the coffee at Oriole Coffee + Bar but I wanted to see if their brunch offerings were just as good. They have a pretty good selection of all-day breakfast favourites, mains, small plates, salads and desserts. So here’s what we tried for (a gigantic!) brunch on Sunday and some of the things we liked best.

I went for a healthy start with the Pumpkin Salad ($12) with kale, spiced pumpkin, cherry tomatoes, quinoa and feta cheese tossed with olive oil and a citrus honey dressing.

It was refreshing, light and went awesome with my cold Taisho M.A.D Milk ($8), their in-house freshly-brewed, dairy-free coffee made with blended macademia, almonds and dates. I’ve no issues with milk so even though this was quite an interesting change, I’d still go with their regular coffee.

Next, we shared their Seafood Ceviche ($12) for starters.

This was one of my favourite dishes here because not only was the seafood fresh, there were generous helpings of it. Also, the vegetables, including the corn, were all freshly-chopped and dressed in a delectable, refreshing lime dressing and topped with crackers for that contrast in textures. I really enjoyed this dish.

And what would lunch be without my Eggs Benedict? They call this the 2 Eggs + 2 Muffins ($13) and you can have your eggs done any way you like with add-ons like avocado, bacon, smoked salmon etc.

This dish actually turned out pretty inconsistent. While one egg was cooked pretty well with a runny centre, the other was overcooked. Also, I found the hollandaise somewhat overwhelming and a little too creamy for my liking. I usually like my eggs benny with smoked salmon so that’s what I ended up eating most of.

Sean went with the Country Fried Steak ($33) topped with Bacon and an egg sunny side up. Predictably, this was a huge portion, heavy and something any American diner would be happy to serve up. The meat was still tender despite being deep fried and the batter was crispy golden brown and very tasty.

And finally, we decided to try one more of their signature dishes, the Humble Baked Egg Skillet ($22). Not so humble as it turns out. This was a flavourful mess of runny sous vide eggs, potatoes, stewed lamb, bacon and a hearty tomato sauces topped with spring onions. The lamb was tender and well seasoned, making this a really comforting pan of meaty goodness.

All in all, a pretty good experience. Although the service was a little lacking. It was hard to get anyone’s attention and when we did, they all seemed pretty grumpy. Either way, for its quality and price point, it’s worth a shot if you’re looking for somewhere new to try for brunch. But if anything, go for their coffee. It won’t disappoint.

-- angelalimaq.com

a nice brunch in Somerset

This is an adapted review from my blog. Full review and more photos can be read from my blog here:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although the cafe c** bar opens until late night, we almost always patronize for brunch or lunch, not dinner. It has a hip kind of feel to its decor and I like the way they attend to the details, from the simple but stylish menu to the fonts on the table numbers.

Their non-alcoholic drinks are limited in choices but do have enough to cater to the caffeine seekers. If you felt like trying something new, do give their M.A.D. Milk a go - this is a dairy free nut milk pressed from macadamia, almond and dates, hence the name.

Oriole has a limited choice of hot meals and they are not economic for a frequent visit. Despite the limited choices, most of their dishes are of superb taste, some of them so addictive that you really want to ask how they make it. Some of our favorites are Capelinni Crabmeat and St Louis Pork Ribs. I am also biased towards theirFully Loaded, which got me hooked with its amount befitting the name of the meal. This is truly one hearty meal for a foodie!

Nice place to chill

Full review: http://www.jacqsowhat.com/2015/04/oriole-coffee-bar-somserset.html

Glad to know that Oriole Coffee & Bar has finally re-opened its doors back in January after a refurbishment of 2 months. Been here twice before they revamped and wasn't really impressed with the food. But glad to know that the refreshed menu offers a wider range of food after the refurbishment as well as bringing back their signature Raven & Yellowbird blends.

One of my fav would be the Fried Wild Rice $11. Crispy fried rice with smoked lap cheong and a not-so-secret onsen egg surprise hidden underneath. It's like a chinese-jap fusion kind of dish, pretty impressed with this one. The wild rice tasted like crispy claypot rice with a distinctive wok aroma. As well as Garlic Prawn Risotto $25, grilled garlic prawns with arborio rice and asparagus in rich prawn bisque. A mixture of moist and flavorful soft grains, together with a crunch from the asparagus.

For desserts don't forget to try Chocolate Coconut Affogato $9. A scoop of vanilla ice cream, cookie crumble and a shot of espresso. Mad love this one. More on the link :)

Disappointing service

Told service guy I was there for a coffee. So shocked he walked away without offering even a menu & i had to walk into restn to ask for svc. Coffee came 10 mins later. Other guests who came after me & are westerners were greeted with smiles. Utterly upset with the bad service!