Summary

Ambience3
Waffles View all
Ala Carte View all

Decent Coffee but food could be better

For full review and pics, do visit therantingpanda.com

If we may add, just skip the food here. Not sure if it was due to the shortage of manpower or was it because Oz just ain’t good with it brunch. Our Classic All-day Breakfast ($8.00)  was cold when served and it tasted totally home-cooked (read as: any one could have done it).  Not to mention, the near 20 minutes wait. Just saying.

Most helpful reviews for OZ Specialty Coffee

Good Coffee with Nice Food!

For full review & photos, please visit:

The day that i visited OZ was their last day of operation at Thomson V Two! They're known as "Pacamara Boutique Coffee Roasters" located at 185 Upper Thomson Road now.

They used Pacamara Coffee Roaster beans that you must try. Their coffee was mellow and aromatic that will definitely wake you up!

Do note that their new menu at 185 Upper Thomson Rd was totally different from their previous menu at the old location.

Good Coffee with Nice Food!

For full review & photos, please visit:

Lovely waffles!

For full review, visit http://www.ms-skinnyfat.com/2014/06/oz-specialty-coffee.html

OZ Specialty Coffee, an independent coffee boutique located just slightly off the main Upper Thomson Road, in the haphazardly organized Thomson V Two.

OZ is a really (really) small outfit but it provides a wide variety of beans from Brazil, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Indonesia, Thailand etc. Pacamara Coffee Roaster beans are used here.
You know they are serious about their coffee with the arsenal of brewing products on sale. Japanese Kalita home brewing products are available here and other commercial coffee equipment as well. I had the House Blend latte which had notes of milk chocolate, ripe fruits, roasted nuts with mild floral hints. It's mellow and smooth. Go for this if you want something strong.
Light bites are also on offer, including waffles (from $7) and sandwiches (from $8.50). Their breakfast dishes look run-of-the-mill though. I spied on the next table's scrambled eggs, which seemed runny enough but everything else was just heated/pan friend and thrown in I guess.
What you must definitely have is OZ's Belgium waffles! I swear it was actually a compressed croissant masquerading as a waffle. I died and went to waffle heaven when I bit into the dense buttery pastry (yes I can call it that!). The browned parts had a puff pastry exterior while the inside had the pull of a well made croissant. And that salted caramel was rich and thick without being cloying. Commercially produced New Zealand Natural vanilla ice cream was paired with it but even that didn't take its shine away. Ok NZ Natural isn't that bad I guess (there could be worse).
I really dig their waffles but the hole in the wall is too small a spot even for the little me. They have since expanded and is now known as Pacamara Coffee

OZ Specialty Cafe

For more details, please visit http://www.foodesteem.com/2014/10/oz-specialty-coffee.html.

This is quite an outdated post, and having said that, OZ Specialty Coffee has shifted and currently operating under Pacamara Boutique Coffee Roasters.

OZ Specialty Coffee's menu did a full coverage, starting from drinks to desserts. While their food and dessert are limited to finger-counting, their drinks are much thirst for with "stars" to indicate its hot favorites!

However, we have little interests in the drinks and decided to strike on their breakfast platters, which looks so inviting!

Big Breakfast ($14.00), consists of buttered scrambled eggs, perfectly-cooked bacon strips, pork frankfurter sausage, alain millet's strawberry jam with multi-grain toast, tomatoes, as well as mesclun salad mix with home-made honey.

I have to admit OZ Specialty Coffee really serve their scrambled eggs generously, which can be perhaps 2-3 eggs used? The sausage is another one worth commending, due to its juicy and dainty meat. If you are think strawberry jam with toast is too mainstream, then you are wrong. Alain Milliat's strawberry jam is not too sweet, yet still embraces your taste buds with the strong aroma of strawberry.

Salmon Platter ($18.00), consists of buttered scrambled eggs, 4-5 slices of smoked salmon, alain millet's tri-floral honey with multi-grain toast, tomatoes, as well as mesclun salad mix with home-made honey.

Specifically, not much difference from the Big Breakfast, except the replacement of frankfurter sausage and bacon strips for smoked salmon. OZ Specialty Coffee served pieces of salmon rolled up, and stacked neatly beside one and another. Salmons are well-smoked, but being a not-so-appreciative person (for the raw, fishy taste), I feel that this dish could have been undervalued by me. But other than the salmon, the rest of the dish is equally nice as with Big Breakfast! I enjoyed my mesclun salad very much with the honey, still leaving an amount untouched after spilling some on my soft & crispy toasts.

Ordered Belgium Liege Waffles which is limited per day. Salted Caramel & Banana Waffles ($10.90). A pair of puffy waffles with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and fresh banana slices, drizzled with homemade salted caramel sauce and toasted almond slices. Waffles are hard, but comes with a little crunchiness. Take it along with the ice cream and banana slice to appreciate the waffle more!

Drop by only if in the area

Wanting to check them out properly, I have been to OZ Cafe three times. But in all honesty, it was non-intentional. We came a third time because we did not manage to try their food on our second visit.

During our first visit, we came by after having a heavy lunch. Thus, we only tried their coffee and desserts (waffle and cake). On our second visit, although we managed to reach at 10pm sharp, they had already closed their kitchen (They open till 11pm with their kitchen closing at 10pm). And it’s only on our third visit during a weekday afternoon that we managed to try their mains.

And from the menu, we ordered:-

1) Big breakfast, $14 – Served with generous servings of buttered scrambled eggs + streaky bacon strips + large pork frankfurter sausage + specialty jam in a jar + multi-grain toast + mesclun salad mix dressed in home-made honey vinaigrette + home-made toasted almonds + tomato.

2) Salmon platter, $18 – Served with generous servings of buttered scrambled eggs + smoked salmon slices + multi-grain toast + floral honey in a jar + mesclun salad mix dressed in home=made honey vinaigrette + home-made toasted almonds + tomato. The salmon was a tad too salty. But scrambled egg was done in good consistency, being slightly runny.

3) Carrot cake, $5.50 – I was a little shocked when the cake was served messily. I felt they should at least (bother to) clean the plate of the extra frosting. And the cake was disappointing too. It lacked the texture (like crunchy bits) which I preferred my carrot cake to have.

4) Belgian liege waffles, $5 (+ $2, scoop of ice cream) – Came in 2 pieces, we opted for additional ice cream which flavour was vanilla (New Zealand natural). We were a little surprised cause the portion seemed pretty small. But after we re-remembered that the waffles are at $5, we figured it’s reasonable. And the waffles are not too bad. Liege waffles are meant to be dense in texture.

5) Latte, $4.50 (regular) – On our first visit, the coffee was really bad. I did not appreciate the coffee stain on my cup too. However, on our subsequent visits, the coffee was better. Guess it voiced down to who’s the barista that’s behind the coffee machine.

6) Cold chocolate, $4.50 – Make sure this is stirred well before drinking.

OZ Speciality Cafe is a very small cafe. Within the cafe, there’s only counter seats for 5. The rest are alfresco seats which are tables placed outside (of) the cafe, along the corridor. I do recommend dropping by if you are in the area. However, with the limited seating capacity and range of the food menu, I wouldn’t recommend coming into big groups. However, one of the plus point is that they open till late. And that’s good news for me when I need my coffee late into the night, since they are somewhat near to where I stay.

----------