Paradise Inn (City Square) (樂天客棧)

Summary

Boiled Soup, coffee pork ribs, crisp fried crystal prawns with salted egg, hor fun, seafood fried rice View all
Dinner, Large Groups/Gathering, Children/Family, Lunch View all

Paradise Inn lunch - palatable

During my posting on Paradise Dynasty, I made a brief mention of my experience at Paradise Inn, but there were no photos or writeup for it. Today, I set the lunch vennue with good buddy *Sheldon there, so that I could satiate my craving for the Salted egg prawns, and also write about this place.

There are many outlets of Paradise Inn, and we selected the branch at City Square Mall - 180 Kitchener Road #B1-01 / 02 City Square Mall, Singapore 208539 and the number is 6509 9337. While the decor is not as lavish or elegant as Paradise Dynasty @ Ion, of course, Paradise Inn still provides a tastefully-designed Oriental ambience for its diners. I liked the tiny golden teapot for our Chinese Tea.

The first dish that was served was our Seafood Fried Rice - a platter of delicious, egg-fried rice tossed generously with ingredients such as prawns, fish cake chunks, crabmeat, spring onions and roe. The taste was light, but redolent of the seafood's savoury flavor, and the texture is a nice softness that comes with a "mouth feeling".

Next, the Crisp Fried Crystal Prawns with Salted Egg - something I had been craving for a long, long while but am not sure why today it did not taste as nice as per my recollection. Anyway, here the prawns are succulent, springy in texture and fresh. The skin is crispy in texture, as the name implies, and the salted egg paste adds a sandy-ness to it that is both tasty and felt good on the tongue, like gold dust filling the mouth. Today, though, I thought that the paste was a tad salty?

For more detailed information and photos, do visit:

Most helpful reviews for Paradise Inn (City Square)

One of the worst restaurant that i have visited

the tables and chairs are not in proportion, tables are higher and chairs are lower, making us like drawfs eating at a giant table. when food was served, the server literally has his finger on the food in the dishes. plain water cost 30cents each but this was not informed when we ask for water. lady manager's customer service attitude was super unprofessional. No word or apology when we feed back on the finger on food and the chargable plain water. Food also taste so so... nothing fantastic. Not worth Paying premium price for this kind of tze char..... downstair's coffee shop might be a better choice then. at 1/3 the price.

Nice

The food is nice and worth a try. I like the way their soup is served, pot sitting on a flame, to keep its warm. Their staff are polite and friendly too.

slow service, cheesy decor, unimpressive food

This place is a far cry from the other Paradise outlets. I was there for dinner last weekend, by the time we finished ordering our food, the place was probably only about 30% full. Yet after waiting for more than 30 mins, there were no sign of our order. I reminded the lady captain, instead of apologizing, the first thing she remarked was that they take at least 30 mins to serve their food, nice! 10 points for customer service!

The decor of this place is rather cheesy and lack any sense of design. I couldn't stop myself from staring at the peach & pink lanterns hanging from the ceiling. It did not help that the lady captain likes to yell at the top of her voice across the restaurant, perhaps she used to work in a kopitiam. It was a perfect restaurant to have a peaceful dinner.

Food … not impressed, in fact, by now, I absolutely can't remember anything about it.

Not coming back.

Too salty and too much MSG for pricey food, except for the double-boiled soups

Read the full review at http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.com

Paradise Inn
 is the casual dining offshoot of The Paradise Group. Although I've heard rave reviews of the cze char at the Paradise Inn group of restaurants, I've mostly found their food to be a little too salty and/or reeking of MSG. While the food here is homestyled, it's a little pricey for its smaller-than-expected portions. Crystal Jade Kitchen would probably be a more value-for-money alternative. However, it does distinguish itself on one winning point, its wide choices of double-boiled herbal soups.

We had:

1) Hot and Spicy Beancurd "Ma Po" Tofu  ($8 for small), smooth and soft beancurd in a luscious gravy of spicy bean paste and minced pork.

2) Steamed Silver Cod with Spicy Bean Paste ($18 for small). the bean paste was soft, spicy and salty

3) Double-Boiled Spare Ribs Soup with Winter Melon and Conpoy  ($16.80 per pot) was a delicate, non-MSG-tasting, essence of pork bones, dried scallops and winter melon. We happily slurped this comforting soup up