Review for Peach Garden (OCBC Centre) (桃苑)

3.5

AsianCantoneseChineseDim Sum
Address: #33-01, OCBC Centre, 65 Chulia Street, 049513
24 Sep 2013

Sophisticated dim sum

It is a nice venue and they do care about your food and quality. Too bad the staff is not good yet.

More reviews of Peach Garden

Roasted pig

For full review, please visit https://phuachiuyen.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/roasted-pig/

Buy their roasted pig if you are looking into buffet celebration, birthday celebration, anniversary celebration, etc. Very fragrant, crispy and definitely delicious and appealing as well.

How Standards Have Plummeted

After a long hiatus of almost 7 years, we were back again at Peach Garden @ 33 for lunch. My last dim sum experience with the Peach Garden brand was rather mediocre so my hopes weren't high.

Carpeted floors, plush fabric seats and wooden paneling; classic decor of a slightly more upmarket Chinese restaurant. Comfortable but nothing out of the ordinary. Window seats are of course much sought after but those need to be booked a little in advance, something which we failed to do.

Seafood Soup in Melon - The old cucumber soup (老黄瓜汤) was nicely presented in a tall cucumber with its center carved out. Though filled up with bits of chicken, mushrooms, fish maw, prawns and dried scallops, the soup was rather bland and could do with more time on the stove. Lacking the punch the Imperial Treasure's rendition offers.

Jellyfish with Spicy Sauce - Nicely crunchy with a rather strong spicy kick. Great as an appetiser.

Siew Mai with Phoenix Prawn - Featuring a crunchy, whole prawn atop a not overly fatty meat and prawn mixture, the siew mai was pretty nice without coming across as too oily.

Prawn Dumpling - Crunchy prawns amidst a lightly elastic but a tad thick, translucent skin. Palatable.

Beancurd Skin Roll with Seaweed - Visually, this somewhat reminded me of CP's seaweed chicken roll but tasted alot better in my humble opinion. A crisp layer of beancurd skin enveloping prawns and bounded by a ring of fresh tasting seaweed for that faint taste of the ocean. Dipping one in the accompanying worcester sauce imbued it with a nice sourish hint.

Rice Roll with Prawn - Crunchy prawns missing a silky cheong fun skin. What a mismatch.

Fish Noodles with Live Prawns - In retrospect, this was probably the best dish of the afternoon. Delightfully chewy fish noodles stir fried in black sauce for a mildly salty and sweet taste and served with fresh prawns of varying sizes.

Custard Bun - Peach Garden's hallowed custard bun; the untouchable #1 on my custard bun list. Now rocking the bottom of the barrel with it's flat bun, sourish dough and awfully sweet filling. Where's the saltiness and the coarse texture of the egg yolk sediment? Probably one of the worst custard buns I've eaten to date. And I kid you not.

Spare Rib with Spicy Sauce - The spare rib used to be one of Peach Garden's highlights and was what drew us here (we would specifically drop by PG from time to time to take away their spare ribs). But even after waiting for close to 25 mins for this dish (after all the dishes had been cleared), it turned out to be one of the worst disappointments, alongside the custard bun. The spare rib had way too much fat and came across as dry, salty and spicy (due to a blot of chilli oily atop) with a lingering ginger taste from the grated ginger in the meat. The only consolation was the stalk of broccoli by the side and the mildly sweet onion below. Apparently the restaurant was experimenting with a new recipe. Gosh.

Due to the word limit, see my entire review and all my pictures here.

Good Dim Sum

This restaurant has a great view and we enjoyed a tasty dim sum lunch here. Service is good as is the food
Overall

My experience at Peach Garden (NTU)

My name is Noah, I'm a professional shipwright.
 I count patience as one of my greatest virtues for one has to be patient to be a good shipwright.
 My magnum opus, a vessel named The Ark, was an endeavor that took me 120 years.

This great endeavor compelled me to invite representatives from all in the animal kingdom (you know, husband and wife for each animal species) for a sort-of “boat warming” party.
 Even though it rained on the party, it was, on many accounts a very good party, except for one minor issue – the dinosaurs never turned up.

Their absence perplexed me thoroughly and haunted me for years.
 Did I send the calendar invite to the right email address? I’m sure I did because I received their “Accept” responses.
 Was the selection of food not appropriate? I know me and the boys (and their wives) had to harvest and cook the food, but none of the other guests complained, and some even said it was the best they ever had!
 Were accommodations for the night not suitable? No, it can’t be. I had made The Ark extra big on purpose so there would be rooms for all.

I did everything right, didn’t I?
 Even the closing ceremony. The budget was a little short for fireworks, but the rainbow and sunny sky was good right?

For years, I tried to find an answer.
 I even asked Russell Crowe when he played me in that movie about me why the dinosaurs didn’t come.
 All I got was a shrug. Not even consoling hugs from Jennifer Connelly or Emma Watson.

Today, I had my lunch in the Peach Garden restaurant at NTU.
 After waiting for an hour for the first dish, I looked around to see who my fellow patrons at the restaurants were.

That’s when I saw them. The dinosaurs. Still waiting.
Now I know why they never turned up.

Quality Traditional Chinese Food

Peach Garden has been a mainstay for a long time, and its due to its ability to consistently provide good quality Chinese food.

Some items to try are their soups, which are strong in flavour. An example is the fish maw soup, in which fresh fish maw is used with strong chicken broth to create a smooth finish on a rainy day.

Other items to try are their fresh fish, evident in the lack of fishy smell when steamed.

Finally, their fried rice also has a good level of wok hei.

Overall, an ideal place to take the family for a nice celebratory lunch or dinner.