Summary

Poor service attitude View all

Penang Varieties - Hits and Misses

Located at the Kent Ridge Mall right next to the circle line MRT, I visited this no frills dining restaurant thrice recently. With an extensive menu, it is both designed for those who want a quick fix as well as those who are dining with their family.

When I was alone, I ate the Char Koay Teow ($8.80). The dish here had a good level of "wok hei" and was quite tasty - making this the must try dish here. Another individual dish which I tried was the Penang Street Signature Nasi Lemak ($9.80). Whilst the chicken was marinated well with spices and tender, the rice lacked the coconut milk after taste to it - so it tasted like a healthy nasi lemak more than the traditional dish.

When I was dining as a group, I ordered several dishes to share. The Fish Head Curry ($29.80) had a good meaty fish head but the curry was too watery for my liking.

Meanwhile, the Kangkong Belacan had a good level of spiciness and was quite crunchy. Another crunchy dish was the Marmite Baby Squid, deep fried and can be quite addictive.

From the drinks menu I tried the Air Bandung ($3.80), which came as expected. I found the Buah Long Long ($3.80) though to be a little watered down.

Aside from the food, service left me wanting. Many of them were poor in their command of English (or Chinese) and had a poor knowledge of the food, saying " I dont know " rather than going to the kitchen to try to answer my queries. Also, on a visit when I arrived close to closing time, most of them were focusing on cleaning rather than taking my order. Many of them seem lost as to what to do.

Most helpful reviews for Penang Street

Disappointed experience at Penang Street located at NUH Singapore

I do not feel the food taste as Penang Food, the standard still far away! In addition, tooooo expensive! Both my friend and I spend over SGD36 (including service chrg and GST) for one plate char kway teow and one bowl of prawn noodle with 2 longan drink. both plate has 3 prawn, longan 3 pcs.

Poor food coupled with poor service

Portions are small and inconsistent taste for the prices they charge. Walking to NUH food court will get you better food at lower prices.
Order roti chenai and it took them 30 minutes to serve two prata with curry. That is after asking them to check the order twice ! Bad service attitude by staff who claims that it take 20 to 30 minutes to prepare this order.
Lack of staff means it is also difficult to get staffs attention to place order or check order.
Overall don't bother giving this place a try. There are plenty of better options in that area.

Share table with strangers at an eatery with restaurant prices and service charges?

Which other eatery serves you mediocre food, poor ambience where table have very very close proximity, restaurant prices and the best thing is you need to share a table with strangers? (2pax + 2pax strangers on a 4 seater table) Maybe common practice in coffee shops when the crowd is packing, but coffee shops do not charge you exorbitant prices.

Enough said about the services, you can enjoy better food at coffee shop or food court. Food quality is no where near those you can find in Penang.

If you don't mind the mediocre food, noisy environment and having to share a table with complete strangers. (Hmmm .... friendly competition ..... who can speak louder, you and your partner or the 2 strangers next to you). If you don't mind all these, then you can go visit this place, other wise there are much much much more better options.