Summary

Authentic Spaghetti Carbonara, Eggplant Parmigiana (Eggplant cake), Angus beef tiagliata, Edizione Red wine, Squid ink risotto, Turbo fish, aparagus soup, Astice alla Sarda, Astice alla Sarda ($45), Cappelini with clams, Crab Meat Cake, Ginger creme brulee, Lobster Pasta, Meat Balls, Tiramisu, Wagyu beef carpaccio with rockets leaves and porcini mushrooms, fritto misto, sauvignon blanc La Tunella View all
Dinner, Quiet, Lunch, Business Dining, Romance/First Dates, Wine Lists, After Work, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Fine Dining, Girls Night Out, Hidden Find, Anniversary, Chillout, Birthdays, Children/Family, Large Groups/Gathering, Private Dining, Ala Carte, Relaxed, Supper View all

Great Italian food

See the full review with pictures here.   So we were here to celebrate G’s birthday and I picked this place because of all the people in the family, I’m the one with the most similar taste buds to G. You could say we’re tongue sisters. We’re both pretty picky about food, from sashimi to brown rice, and you can usually rely on us to be picky about the same thing, except for cheese cake.   I really liked the food here, despite the slightly small portions. This place does the best prosciutto fried scamorza I have ever had. They put little pieces of porcini between the cheese and the prosciutto, and then pan fry it all together and it is spectacular.    L’s folks had the oysters and arancini special. For people who don’t know, arancini are basically rice balls that are breaded and fried. Something I think most singaporeans are not that into. They did it quite well, but you have been forewarned. It’s carbs coated with carbs and then fried in fat.   I ordered the veal raivoli with brown butter, and the sauce was really velvety and rich. L got the lobster linguine, which had half a lobster and an extremely lobstery, tomato sauce made with san marzano tomatoes. We couldn’t be happier with our choices.   We didn’t manage to fit in dessert because of the birthday cake, but the guys did get two glasses of wine and some coffees afterward. The bill was about $400 for 8 people.   L’s parents were really impressed with their service – their bringing out the cake, writing “Happy Birthday” on the plate with chocolate sauce, and singing a birthday song. I think therein lies a generation gap. I sort of think that kind of service is pretty much expected, but they thought it was exceptional. One way or another I think at least the norms of our service industry are looking up!   I would like to come back to try the squid ink risotto and their desserts. They are kind of a small establishment (seating space wise) so if you are coming on a weekend you would do well to book. They are listed in Chope so it’s really not difficult.

Most helpful reviews for PepeNero

Great Food

Delicious buratta to start followed really wonderful squid ink risotto and great panacotta.  Very nice red wine by the glass.

nice relaxed place for dinner...

The lobster, short ribs, lamb ravioli... All were good. In this day & age, it is getting increasingly more difficult to find an authentic establishment which serves good whole hearted cooking. I am pleased to find this little place tucked away in Stanley Road. They have a great promotion currently as well with ANZ, whereby if you pay be the ANZ credit card you'll get to order certain selected dishes at the grand price of $1... What more can you ask for? :)

Great Dinner

I went to this restaurant with some friends, the chef is very friendly and charming so we  decided to let the chef do all the work.  We started with a light ricotta cheese salad with truffle honey to open the palette. This was then followed by salmon confit topped with a crunchy piece of calamari.   The next item  a thick and filling chickpea soup with mussels and scallops - a treat from his hometown, it was fantastic!!!   The primi piatti was a tomato based al dente pasta topped with cheese. This was then followed by the main course of beef tenderloin.   Dessert was an interesting choice - a black pepper tiramisu with a tart bottom. Rest assured that the black pepper only provides a slightly spicy finish and hence does not overpower the tiramisu top. This is one of those desserts that you will either like or dislike from the onset.   We all agree that the chef  exceeded our expectations, we definally come back  The best way to enjoy the dinner is doubtless  let the chef prepare the menu for you based on yours liking

standard has gone down

I used to rave much about this restaurant and chef Marco Violano when this gem opened a year ago and I was a very regular patron.Lately, I've come to realise the food standard is no longer as it was whe they first opened its doors. The food lack imagination and somehow something is missing, possibly a touch of passion. One thing for sure is there is a lack of consistency - some days the food is well-cooked, some days it is just plain bland and boring. Portions are also small. The ginger pannacotte at that restaurant price and my dessert spoon barely digs in to less than 1/3 deep. As for the tirimisu, sometimes the cocoa is too much that it chokes you when you take a big mouthful.We saw their advertisment for the white truffles so we decided to give it a try but when we enquire about their special menu, we were told that chef was off for the few days? I dont understand why is it they advertised for this seasonal ingredient and then the chef isnt there to cook it. I am definitely not going to pay so much for white truffles in this instance. sigh... something is definitely wrong with their management

Dining out often, I have often seen new restaurants start  with a bang but whether it can sustain or not, is totally another question.
 Chef can cook well for the first few months but can he lure the diners back again and again, is also a big question mark.When i was last there, the restaurant was nearly empty with only 2 tables even it was end of the work week, giving it a sad neglected feel to it. I feel sorry for this place because it had so much potential but now I hesitate to recommend it to friends.Service staff are still attentive and efficient. Hope they turn things around soon, if not, give it a miss for the time being.

The management of PepeNero responded to this review:
17 Nov 2012
Dear Value customer, Thanks for your helpful feedback, but im sure if Chef Violano Marco was not around should be a valid reason, and we do apologize if our asisstants chef could not meet your expectations. Please contact us for any further reservations.

Disappointed

I attended PepeNero for dinner during Restaurant Week.  I was disappointed with the poor service and miserly serving sizes.Like some other restaurants that participate in Restaurant Week, it seems PepeNero thinks lower-than-normal prices justifies providing poor service and smaller serving sizes.  This is of course completely at odds with the spirit of Restaurant Week, which is to allow people who perhaps can not ordinarily afford it an opportunity to dine at good restaurants.  (On this note, I think opening Restaurant Week reservations one week in Advance to American Express platinum card holders is also at odds with the spirit of Restaurant Week).In fact, the serving sizes were so small and miserly that we had to order additional items off the ala carte menu because we were still so hungry.  The fish was about one third the size of an iPhone (4S, not 5!).  And the panna cotta was not much larger than a Nespresso capsule.What PepeNero doesn't realize is if they just provided great food, honest serving sizes and good service (as opposed to the almost condescending service we received) during Restaurant Week, they would probably recruit many loyal customers.As it is, I for one will never return to this restaurant. And neither will the 6 other people I dined with.