Review for PepeNero

3.9

BeerEuropeanItalianWesternWine

18 Mar 2014

Great Italian food

See the full review with pictures here.   So we were here to celebrate G’s birthday and I picked this place because of all the people in the family, I’m the one with the most similar taste buds to G. You could say we’re tongue sisters. We’re both pretty picky about food, from sashimi to brown rice, and you can usually rely on us to be picky about the same thing, except for cheese cake.   I really liked the food here, despite the slightly small portions. This place does the best prosciutto fried scamorza I have ever had. They put little pieces of porcini between the cheese and the prosciutto, and then pan fry it all together and it is spectacular.    L’s folks had the oysters and arancini special. For people who don’t know, arancini are basically rice balls that are breaded and fried. Something I think most singaporeans are not that into. They did it quite well, but you have been forewarned. It’s carbs coated with carbs and then fried in fat.   I ordered the veal raivoli with brown butter, and the sauce was really velvety and rich. L got the lobster linguine, which had half a lobster and an extremely lobstery, tomato sauce made with san marzano tomatoes. We couldn’t be happier with our choices.   We didn’t manage to fit in dessert because of the birthday cake, but the guys did get two glasses of wine and some coffees afterward. The bill was about $400 for 8 people.   L’s parents were really impressed with their service – their bringing out the cake, writing “Happy Birthday” on the plate with chocolate sauce, and singing a birthday song. I think therein lies a generation gap. I sort of think that kind of service is pretty much expected, but they thought it was exceptional. One way or another I think at least the norms of our service industry are looking up!   I would like to come back to try the squid ink risotto and their desserts. They are kind of a small establishment (seating space wise) so if you are coming on a weekend you would do well to book. They are listed in Chope so it’s really not difficult.

More reviews of PepeNero

Chic Retro Ambience with Great Dishes

Read my full review with more pictures

We have tried the following:
- Polpette - Baked Pork Meat Ball
- Granchio - Crab Meat Cake
- Spaghetti - Black Squid Ink Spaghetti Pasta Served with Crab Meat
- Ossobuco - Braised Veal Shank "Ossobuco"
- Semifreddo - Frozen Zabaglione Souffle served with Amaretto sauce

Pepenero is a elegantly chic and fun restaurant which is a great place for meeting up with friends and an casual dining date with hints of nostalgic in the air. Love the modern retro ambience!~ The dishes are great especially for the appetizers. I am totally in love with the Polpette - Baked Pork Meat Ball and Granchio - Crab Meat Cake. I will definitely be back again!~

Fantastic food,affordable prices

Ordered the cappelini with clams in white wine sauce. The pasta sauce was impressive with the right amount of wine and parsley added to it.

Will also like to commend on the affable service staff-Yusof and his
 team! Definitely a place to return to.

Good Italian food, decent service

good Italian food & decent service. Egg plant with parmasan as started which was nice. Main dish was papardelle with deer, bit sourish as it suppose to be. The only thing is that the restaurant is not that cozy a bit "cold" and it was surprisingly quite for a Saturday.

5 Star Experience and Food

I have tried a few Italian restaurant in Singapore. This is the one that I would have the thinking of coming back. Best italian food ever I had, cosy and romantic atmosphere.
I went here 5 times. Their chief changed, but never disappointed me, still an Italian chef. He is shy but very keen to greet and talk to the customer when he is free.
I LOVE their Lobster pasta and tiramisu the most. I know pasta is fat, but just can't help but love it. You may refer to the pictures that I took, it really YUMMY! Their pasta taste different from other restaurant, and the lobster so fresh and tasty. For the tiramisu, very soft and want to eat more!
Their dinner and lunch have different atmosphere. Everything just fabulous here. But do not expect a cheap price for an Italian food, however great thing is this restaurant has no GST. Save a 7%, phew.
Everything add a 10% only, a lobster pasta cost you 35, Tiramisu 12, Lava Cake 16, you may go to their website to see the menu.
Wine, I have tried some. I would prefer not by glass, but bottle. I started drink Italian Wine after dine here.
Overall

good food, not so good ambience

Excellent Angus steak (finger licking good), good sea bass but the vegetarian basil pasta was not so good (but too soggy and not so fresh tasting). Good eggplant starter dish but not great. Great service esp when they ran out of a few of the dishes and gave us free gelato and limencello. Main problem is the boring ambience. Tables laid out like a classroom, lighting and decor also needs work. Not the most intimate italian place given the expensive price tag