Summary

Ayam Buah Keluak, beef rendang, durian pengat, sambal kangkong, rendang, dessert, Apom Berkuah., Assam Fish, Babi Pongtay, Chap Chye, Cheh Hu, Lamb Rendang, bo bo cha cha, lime juice with aloe vera, sago pudding, seafood otah, terung View all
Dinner, Children/Family, Lunch, Large Groups/Gathering, Quiet, Business Dining, Hidden Find, Romance/First Dates, Vibrant/Noisy View all

Decent Peranakan Food

I have been here twice and both times have come out satisfied.

This time we ordered;

- AYAM BUAH KELUAK (Chicken braised with the Indonesian black nuts),
- IKAN GARAM ASSAM (Red snapper fillets are cooked in a spicy garam assam gravy with brinjals and ladyfingers),
- BEEF RENDANG,
- SAMBAL KANGKONG,
- NYONYA NGOH HIANG WITH LUAK CHYE

My favourite was the chicken - I love the black nut sauce. The beef rendang lacked flavour (the sauce was a bit too watery for my liking) however the beef was nice and tender.

The fish was nicely cooked and very tender. And the sambal kangkong packed a punch.

The NYONYA NGOH HIANG WITH LUAK CHYE was interesting. It was nothing to rave on about but it wasnt bad either.

For dessert we had the BUBOH CHA CHA (yams and sweet potatoes served in a light coconut sauce with sago pearls) and APOM BERKUAH (Rice flour pancakes served with warm banana sauce). The flavours were nice and my only complaint is that I would have liked more yams, sweet potato & sago pearls in my BUBOH CHA CHA.

Overall, the quality of food was good except they dont serve their food piping hot and that is what I prefer.

Most helpful reviews for Peramakan

Good food

We had the Ayam Buah Keluak, Assam Fish, Curry Egg Tofu, Brinjals, Chap Chye, Beef Rendang, Sago Pudding, Lemongrass Jelly and Durian Penget. I had never had Ayam Buah Keluak before and found it quite satisfying. The other dishes were all quite tasty as well, with exception of the Chap Chye which I thought wasn't the best. But I was quite impressed with the Assam Fish, Beef Rendang and Tofu. The dishes do come in small portions though. The desserts, on the other hand, came in generous portions and were very delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed the sago pudding with gula melaka and coconut milk. I am not a fan of durian, but everyone else at the table enjoyed the durian penget.

Best Nonya makan so far

I had wanted to take my parents for peranankan food for Mom's birthday dinner and was scouting the Internet for a good nonya restaurant. Of the Top 5 listed on one website, I had been to 2 and was not impressed. I decided to be brave to take my folks to Peramakan at Keppel Club, also on the Top 5 list, without first trying the food on my own -something I have never done before.

Thankfully, I was not disappointed. Mom likes Buah Keluak, and the resturant has this novel idea of serving Buah Keluak without the chicken! so Mom ordeed 6 pieces ($1.50 each). For meats, we had the Ayam Kleo($14) which is cooked just right with a flavourful coconut gravy that can match Mom's superb homecooked ayam; Nonya Pork Ribs($14) which is cooked till tender and served in a tasty brown sauce; Lamb Rendang($18) which Mom approved of(phew!); Ikan Garam Assam($16) served in a pleasant sweet sour assam sauce and the Nonya Ngoh Hiang($12) which is good but nonetheless second to Mom's. Not a heavy meat eater, my favourite dish was the Nonya chapchye($10).

My husband who is vegetarian was thrilled that there were 2 pages of Nonya Vegetarian food on the menu!. He ordered the Vegetarian Ayam Buah Keluak($16) and relished every bit of it as it is impossible to get this dish any where else. He also had the Nonya Tauhu($14) which is simply fried Taukwa served with sliced mushroom in a homemade nonya sauce and the Nonya Bendhi($10).
The 5 of us shared 2 desserts - the hot Bubur ChaCha(($5) - decent but not impressive and the Sago Gula Melaka($4) which had a generous dose of Gula Melaka that was too sweet for my liking but enjoyed by my folks.
I will certainly go back again to try the Otar(recommended for the restaurant manager) and more importantly, because Mom likes the food and there are good vegetarian options for my hubby.

We liked it...

Brought some friends to this restaurant yesterday for lunch and had a wonderful meal that averaged just under $30 per person. As there were 9 of us we ordered the set lunch for 8 people. We were there early, just when the doors opened, but the kitchen was ready to go. We did not have to wait for the food....it was on the table about 15 minutes after the orders were finalised. The service was excellent -- attentive waiters and waitresses who made useful suggestions regarding the options available. The quality of the food was good and none of the dishes disappointed. The portions were generous and there was even food left over to take away.

this is the worse restaurant I visit

Extremely rude waitress .. E place was quite empty so no excuse for such behavior . The Chinese restaurant at the second floor give a much better , pleasant dining experience

rudest restaurant in Singapore

Food/Drink 4 | Value 3 | Ambience 1 | Service N/A

We arrived at 9pm and were given a menu and asked for our drinks order. Only after the drinks arrived did a smarmy waiter arrive saying most items are not available. So hubby turns to me and says - this means the chef is too lazy to cook anything else. Smarmy waiter realised we are it his usual passive clientele and sharply changes his tune saying order what we like and he will ask the chef to cook. Order comes and food is good however at 9.30 they want to close the bill after trying to empty an entire bottle of wine as fast as they possibly can into our glasses. At 9.45 they tell us they are closing, turn off air con, pack their bags then at 9.50 and 9.55 keep comin up saying they are closed! Worst service and overall bad manners I have ever seen in Singapore and probably all of Asia!