Review for Pho Hoa Noodle Soup (Lorong Mambong)

2.8

AsianIndochineseVietnamese
Address: Holland Village, 18 Lorong Mambong, 277678
19 May 2008

Lunch at Pho Hoa

I have been seeing Pho Hoa branches popping up not only around Singapore but also around South-East Asia, so I decided to give it a try. I mean, a franchise with so many branches can't be bad right?

Well, I tried the one at Holland V and I must say it is quite disappointing. I tried the Beef ball noodle and it's actually quite salty, saltier than the real deal in Vietnam. However, the lemon grass chicken was not bad and so was the sour plum soda.

Overall, it's not bad for lunch if you're in the area. But I'm quite sure there are other better options.

More reviews of Pho Hoa Noodle Soup

-Okay- pho

See the complete review with pictures here.   We started with the netted scallop rolls [$4.50] – pale yellow, deep fried pastries filled with scallop meat with their signature dipping sauce. We felt like we were on the streets of Vietnam just by dint of the freshly fried, piping hot morsels served in small portions.   The second appetizer we tried was the house made squid pancakes [$5.95]. These were good too, but not as good as the scallop rolls. I think the deep fried spring rolls are also worth a try, don’t really like the rice roll with raw vegetables and steamed shrimp.   The pho comes with a huge plate of basil, coriander, chilli paste, cut chillis, and lime wedges for you to garnish the broth. The actual soup itself is alright, not herbal enough, nor is the beef taste particularly strong. You can opt for your pho with flank, steak, beef balls, tripe, brisket, etc. Beef steak yields the leanest meat, and flank steak will have strips of fat running down the sides. We had pho with steak, flank, and beefballs [$13.95]. It’s hearty for a cold day, but I don’t think this place does very representative pho.   We also ordered the grilled chilcken with rice [$11.95], which is done in roughly the same style with Thai grilled chicken, which is to say I can’t put my finger what they use to marinate it :P It’s really nice, tender, and moist, served with some sort of weird vegetarian keropok, a big saucer of dipping sauce, and steamed white rice.    It wasn’t that cheap, $42.75 for the both of us, but we each had appetizers and stuff, guess I can’t complain. Still, it’s a little weird that you can get better lunch for cheaper at Barossa or La Nonna.

As a Vietnamese, I'm disappointed

Pho - the main dish tasted like instant pho noodle. Photos are misleading. Spring rolls were not even fresh. You can even saw the black spots clearly. Worst of all, it's 30% more expensive than other places like Nam Nam or Mrs Pho. There are many good eateries around Holland V which made me regret stepping into Pho Hoa.

Dont seve water anymore

food was ok i had the beef soup, not sure if msg free? biggest shock and the sigle reason i wont go back is they refused to provide water now we went there when it was quiet and only 2 oyher customers
Overall

It does the trick, wish there were better places.

I live next to HV, and I love pho, so I go here regularly, but it's really out of necessity than anything else. Where to begin..

Service - Yes, service in Singapore is generally bad, but this place really takes the cake... everyone seems extremely unhappy to work here... bad service all around, your food is just tossed to you and I've never seen staff seem so angry all the time... I go here almost weekly, and I just have to tollerate it..

Food - of all the pho I've had in SG, this is probably I'm most familiar with, it could be better, but it does the job when I have a terrible hang over..

Value - wow... so expensive... at least $17 for just a bowl of pho... insane.. especially considering the service and ambience..

Ambience - Sit outside if you can.. inside smells terrible and dirty... your clothes and hair will suffer everytime you go inside... they barely turn on the aircon, which I think contributes to the smell...

Once they brought me a condiment tray with used lime pieces on it.. they took it back with barely an apology (thanks for serving me used food).. also, I noticed recently that they just mix the chili and sambal sauce.. so if you want to spice up your soup, it just tastes like sambal, which isn't very Vietnamese..

Seriously wish something better would open up soon! If another pho shop opened up right next door, and they made half an effort, Pho Hoa would go out of business....

Epic Failure

Epic Failure

I went for a weekday lunch at 12.30pm and here's my experience:

Wait
- waited for about 10min which is OK, but there doesn't seem to be any recognition of who came first in the queue
- the food took 25min to arrive which is really long given that it is lunch + it is only noodle soup
- I saw a table of 3 guests who left after a frustrating 30min wait + several reminders to the staff of their long wait

- the grilled chicken is tough and only slightly warm
- the pho tasted a bit undercooked and seemed to miss a rinse as it has a flourly taste)
- bean sprout has brown patches and looks sad, there were only 6 Thai basil leaves for 2 bowls of pho
- the beef is quite tender, the soup is so so, I heard they put MSG so I didn't take much.

Service & Ambience
- poor ventilation, I have stale smell on my shirt after the visit.
- I am one of the many groupon customers, the bill comes up to $47 for 2 pho and 1 grilled chicken rice, after $30 groupon redemption, I have to pay $17 (yes they total up all the 17% charges before deducting the groupon value).
- I felt terribly short changes as I could have gotten better food for $17 at a hawker center
- Really epic failure and I am so sorry I subjected my family to such lousy food, service at an exorbitant price.