Back to PlateLevel 3, Carlton City Hotel, 1 Gopeng Street

buffetgal
 • 03 Apr 2014 62 reviews 0 follower
Overall
For full review & photos, please visit: http://summerlovestoeat.blogspot.sg/2014/04/weekday-semi-buffet-lunch-at-plate.html

3 things i want to feedback:
1) They have very nice Crabmeat soup & Potato soup here but it was only lukewarm, it turned cold within a few minutes.. Make sure there's a warmer to keep the soup hot enough, otherwise it will affect the taste of the soup.

2) I think the restaurant should get ready by 12pm as they're still arranging the utensils and we need to ask the staff what is this food etc with no food tag until around 12.30pm. This gives guests quite a bad impression...

3) Ice water is chargeable at $2 per pax which everyone find it ridiculous

Semi buffet lunch is only available at Plate from 12.00pm to 2.30pm from Mondays to Fridays.

Semi-Buffet only (without main course): $25++ per person
Semi-Buffet + Chef's Signature Main Course: $30++ per person
For weekends, they only serve Ala-Carte Menu. (No Buffet)

Overall the service here was good as there wasn't much crowd on weekday lunch. Food & Dessert quality was acceptable for the price of $25++. Just top up additional of $5 and you can get a Main Course which was really worth it but we do not intend to have a very full lunch so we skip this. If you're on leave, why not come down to Plate to try the affordable weekday semi-lunch buffet with no lunch crowd and with cosy ambience!

ArcticStar
 • 01 Mar 2014 236 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Excited about the new stylish, timeless, contemporary and green Carlton City Hotel that opened rather recently near my workplace, we decided to have our 2014's Valentine's Dinner at Plate @ Carlton City Hotel located at 1 Gopeng Street, Level 3, Singapore 078862. The number to dial is 6632 8888.

Like the exterior of this grand, lavish hotel, the interior exudes elegance and a quiet serenity as well. Heightened by its Chinese New Year c** Valentine's Day decorations and soft romantic music, Plate @ Carlton City offered a soft, romantic and exquisite ambience for all the couples celebrating a special night together.

t was a four-course dinner named "Wine & Dine Me" planned out specially for this event. We were first served the starter platter of Crispy Scallop, Lobster Roll and Smoked Salmon with Spring Salad. I started with the Lobster Roll which was no doubt freshly-sweet and sumptuous - even the crispy biscuit "spoon" holding it was a delicacy in itself. The Smoked Salmon had a bouncy texture like sashimi, unlike the usual dry and salty type - so I enjoyed this chewy item very much as well. As for the Fried Scallop, it was absolutely crispy as well, but reminded me alot of Old Chang Kee-style fried seafood items.  Dipped in the chilli sauce it was served with, this fusion item was definitely scrumptious as well.

The mains were served after the soups were gaily consumed.

There was also the Herb-Crusted Garoupa Fish Fillet with Red Beet Risotto, Asparagus Spears and Mushroom Cream Foam. While the gently flavor of the fish was enhanced by the mild taste of the herb, the texture was a little too bouncy, like, undercooked.  I was all right with it and I did not detect blood or experience discomfort, but had wondered if the springy texture of the fish was due to it being somewhat raw / rare.  I loved the beet risotto though - subtly saltish, with wonderful sweetness of the beetroot and chewy texture of the rice.

For more detailed information and photos, do visit:

Dinner, Fine Dining, Lunch, Romance/First Dates

Hoongy !
 • 14 Jan 2014 1811 reviews 252 followers
Overall
As I was around the area, I decided to have lunch at Plate at Carlton City Hotel. At $25 a pop for a semi buffet lunch, it looked like a really good deal, but hang on , there are some hidden costs involved.

A setting with strong natural light, the vibe is an informal setting with a semi buffet of salmon, octopus, vinegrette mackerel, tuna, squid and clam sushi.

From the cold platter there was mussels, scallops and chilled octopus.

The meal also comes with one main course, but there is a hidden $5 charge to it. Nonetheless, still worth it and I went with the seafood pasta with scallops and prawns.

For desserts there was a large variety of bite size cakes for the taking.

Finally, the one bug bear I had was that they silently charged $2 for water per person. This has to be the most expensive water I have ever had, and if I had known, I might have ordered a drink instead.

Other than the hidden charges which unfortunately marred the otherwise pleasant dining experience,I do not have any other complaints. Service was really pleasant with staff ready to help.