pickledpeas
 • 30 Jan 2014 126 reviews 5 followers
Overall
For the full review with pictures, see here.

We came here on Friday for dinner just for the heck of it, plus, the online menu looked pretty amazing, and it didn't fail to disappoint!

Bear in mind you have to cut through this evening throng at Chinatown just to get to the place.  It's a short walk from Chinatown MRT, but can become very, very long with all these people in your path.

We had three platters that night, all of them customized by us, apart from the dessert platter. The sets just didn't appeal, although they did feature some pretty interesting things like buah keluak butter. One thing to note about this place is that the menu changes every quarter because of the different guest chefs they bring in! So by the end of February you won't be able to try any of the following things we ate.

We started off with a "cold" platter ($25)-
duck rillettes, brie, and an asparagus, prosciutto, and gruyere crepe. This was amazing. The brie was not especially special, but L really liked the duck rillettes.

For mains we had a platter of caprese, hoisin glazed short ribs, and cod marinated in honey ($45). Everything just looks better on a platter! I need to get myself some of these wooden cheese boards.

The caprese was delicious, although we could get these caprese paninis at the Statler for about $7. The cod was beautifully done, with a mango and coriander salsa. I would have preferred the skin more charred. The meat flaked off beautifully, like the cod I grilled a week ago so this really isn't that difficult to make yourself at home.

The hoi sin glazed ribs were really nice! I've never thought of doing it that way myself but it is obviously a great idea for a bar bite.

They string light bulbs up through the restaurant and left a brick wall intact to give a pretty grungy feel.

For dessert, we had their "isapahan" platter ($16) - madeleines, raspberry sorbet on a bed of lychee jelly, rose espuma and rose meringues.

The sorbet and fresh raspberries were really sour - almost overpowered the delicateness of the rose flavoured everything else. But lychee and raspberry and tried and proven complements to rose. Too bad the ones we get here are so sour. The rose meringues were amazing.
Their madeleines were really light, moist, everything a madeleine should be, and they made it in-house! The dessert platter was like a deconstructed parfait and I loved every bit of it.

I would definitely come back - the ambience is delightful and the waitstaff are friendly and knowledgeable about the menu.