Summary

Mee Goreng, Black Pepper Crab, chilli crab, sambal kangkong, Crispy baby squid, boiled prawns View all
Dinner, Children/Family, Large Groups/Gathering, Lunch, Quiet, View/Scenery, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Hidden Find, Take Away View all

people found this review useful

Most helpful reviews for Ponggol Seafood Holdings

Home Delivery Fails to Live Up to the mark

Food/Drink 2| Value 1| Service 4

We requested for home delivery of Punggol Seafood Delivery. Afterall, it's famous & we guessed it couldn't go much wrong.

Our take: The standards of the each dish was average.

Each of the main food portion was small in size. For e.g., we ordered a large black pepper dish. It cost us $24, but the portion was small/mediium, barely enough to feed 6 people. The container was given half-full, making the food presentation a sore one.

2 other disppointments in terms of food amounts were the kangkong and the sweet & sour pork. Once again, we ordered large, but its servings were at most medium. To put it bluntly, I paid $14 for large, so why shouldn't I get generous portions of cheap kangkong?

Thankfully, the food delivery came timely. That itself was a saving grace. Because we realised that the portions were never going to be enough, we called Canadian Pizza to our rescue.

Ponggol Famous Mee Goreng rules

I decided to bring my family for dinner at this place cos it’s quite near to where we stay. It’s not the first time we have been to Ponggol Marina but it’s been a while since we last visited and we were surprised at how lively the place is now compared to previously.

If I remember correctly, this is the 3rd incarnation of the seafood restaurant having once being run by Punggol Choon Seng and then Ubi Seafood. Now it’s been run by Hock Kee, the well-known old punggol end restaurant.

The place was about half-filled so getting a table was not a problem even though I have made a reservation earlier in the day.

We ordered Black Pepper Crab, Chilli Crab, Ponggol Mee Goreng, Crispy Deep Fried Beancurd, Balachan Kang Kong and Crispy and Crunchy Baby Squid.

The star dish for the night is definitely the Mee Goreng. Many seafood restaurants served Chinese style mee goreng, hoping to cash in on the fame of this legendary dish and inevitably most failed miserably. The Mee Goreng served by Hock Kee is probably the closest to the nostalgic flavour and texture I used to enjoy as a kid at the end of old Ponggol road. The balance between the sweetness of the tomato sauce and a hint of spiciness from the chilli is perfect. The noodles does not end up starchy or soggy and still retain the spongy texture of the noodles. A must try.

The Chilli Crab is probably one of the better one I tasted for a long time. The sauce is thick and full of flavour and importantly is not overly powered by the tomato sauce. I wish it would be a little spicier but the kick from the chilli is certainly much stronger than a lot of the other places. It’s by no means the best chilli crab in Singapore but its tasty and competently prepared. Above average.

The Black Pepper Crab is probably what I remember best about Hock Kee and it remains a favourite of mine. The black pepper sauce does not have as much kick as other places but what it lacks in kick, it makes up for in taste and texture. The sauce is slightly sweeter but again the balance is just right so that one taste does not overpower the other. The sauce goes well with the fried man tou. Very Good.

The balachan Kang Kong is a stable dish for many restaurants but few served the dish well. A good Kang Kong dish must be fried to retain and not destroyed the natural crunchiness of the vegetable; and yet must have enough balachan to give the dish the kick it is known for. I wish the balachan gives a bigger kick but the Kang Kong was not over-fried or soggy and more importantly the crunchiness of the kang kong was retained. Very Good.

The Crispy and Crunchy Baby Squid was the worst dish of the night. And I have come to the sad conclusion that no restaurant can duplicate the famous dish from a bygone era. Perhaps it’s ingredient but the squid was neither crispy not crunchy. A better description would be soft and chewy. Avoid.

The Crispy Deep Fried Beancurd was ordered on a whim and it was surprisingly good. It is best eaten when served hot so that you can enjoy the tasty fillings. It is served with a sweet sauce but I preferred to eat the beancurd on its own without the dip. Above average.

Overall, this is a fantastic place for a family gathering. And because it’s so isolated, there is an added novelty of dining by the marina, which served as an excellent place for an after-dinner stroll. The food served is by no means the best but the price charged is reasonably compared to other seafood restaurants.

2015 NOV 2015 , Never again, Last time eat , regret.

1st time also my last time. It cannot compared to the last time Ponggol SeaFood .
6 Paxs
Bill : $300+
Dislike:
1. No choiceof pot of chinese tea serve, not even plain water must pay.
must order soft drinks or tea- > CUP by CUP.
2. Slow servings ... but the time last dish served already no mood eat.
3. Poor Chilli Crab meat , felt soft and spoogy. Seems the crab is not fresh or dead long before cooked.
Non of the dishes is nice. Just so so only.
4. Even billing must wait so long, felt like not paying and walk off , seriously.

1.3kg chilli crab $75.40
1.3kg butter crab $75.40
Promotion prawn $6 ( no taste ) seems like dead prawn, nothing to complain since it is dead
Roasted chicken $28
Prawn pancake $22
Vegatable $18
Table Crackers $4 ( unneccessary hidden cost )
soft drinks x6 $15
Fried Mantou $6.40 ( took ages to come)
Rice 7 bowl $7
Total plus gst and service charge ( no service) 7% and 10%
BILL$300+ ( never feel good ) expensive and horrible crab meat, suspect it is dead long ago.
Not fresh...

Just regret eating at this sea food, could have gone to next door anytime .
My last time eating here, sorry .
And i realised many fake report here too.
cannot live up to that standard.

Never Again

Food/Drink 1| Value 1| Service 1

We've ordered delivery many times in the past from Punggol Seafood and usually found them to be quite good and prompt both in terms food quality and service. This time was the worst yet.

We had asked for delivery between 6 to 630 for a family gathering of 20 people with kids.  At 650 we called the restaurant when there was no sign of the food. The lady said delivery was on the way and someone would call back to confirm. At 710 with still no sign of the food we called again. The same lady replied that she had asked her delivery guy to call us but would chase him again. At 720 delivery guy finally calls and says he's 10 minutes away. At 745 with no sign of the food and despite calling the restaurant and the delivery guy several times with no response, we went out to buy our own food.

Delivery turns up at 755, nearly two hours late. We rejected it, and we will likewise reject ordering from Punggol Seafood again henceforth. Ridiculous way to do business, and if you want to stay in the business you better get your act together. If I could give negative stars I would.

POOR! BOTH FOOD AND SERVICE!

Had dinner there with family and one of the dishes ordered was the chilli crab with the roasted buns. Our crab was supposed to be a mid sized 1.6kg crab. But when we removed the shell from the 2 large pincers, we were totally shocked by the puny size of the flesh! It occupied less than 50% the size of the shell. The same goes for the rest of the crab. Meat was soft and soggy, and it became apparent the crab was probably dead for a while before entering the frying pan. The rest of the dishes came without much fanfare and even after the meal was finished, the buns was not served despite multiple reminders. Billing was slow and 'extra' items were billed. (so please check ur bill carefully). The crab itself came up to S$90 and it felt like I am paying for the shell.
 Avoid at all cost.