Back to PregoLevel 1, Fairmont Singapore, 80 Bras Basah Road

Take Away3 votes

ArcticStar
 • Wednesday at 11:33pm 147 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Last night was my fifth visit, with yet another different group of girlfriends.. for a sumptuous dinner. Prego's Italian Restaurant is located at 2 Stamford Road, Level One Fairmont Singapore, Swissotel the Stamford, Singapore 189560 and the number for reservations is 6431 6156.

The service is still good and friendly, and the ambience is still laid-back and non-pretentious for a good-class Italian restaurant serving decent Italian fare. Hearty diners crowd the cosy, brightly-lit classic family-style trattoria.

The three of us shared three mains - the first being the Tagliolini Al Nero - squid ink tagliolini, roasted tiger prawns, garlic and chilli in tomato sauce. The tagliolini was very springy in texture, and the sapid flavor of sour-sweet tomato was prominent. There were at least five very succulent and fresh tiger prawns, shelled and sweet for us to savor. This was truly a keeper.

Next, we had the Penne Tartufate - wild mushrooms and truffle cream sauce. Do not be fooled by the seemingly plain-looking pasta dish - the cream sauce was very delicious and rich, and of course the salient flavor of mushrooms was duly noted. The penne was cooked to a perfect texture that was neither too hard nor soft, as well.

For more detailed information and photos, please feel free to visit:

Must tries: squid ink tagliolini, duck pizza, wild mushroom penne

Dinner, Large Groups/Gathering, Lunch

fatpig
 • 11 Mar 2014 456 reviews 68 followers
Overall
Decided to give Prego another chance after a less than desirable lunch a couple of months back. It also helped that there was a 50% reduction in the bill courtesy of the FAR card.

The interior hasn't changed much, with the decor revolving around the use of wood. Whilst I like the abundant sunlight peering in from the floor to ceiling windows and the space the place affords, I can't help but compare it to a buffet/mass market restaurant - hardly befitting an Italian outfit in my humble opinion. But I digress.

Complimentary Bread -This was probably one of the worst complimentary bread I've ever had in an Italian restaurant. 4 trips to Prego in 6 months and I'm still unable to consume more than a mouthful.

Capesante in Crosta - This sounded really good on paper - Scallops coated with cheese and baked till golden brown and served with a mildly sweet pumpkin puree. Unfortunately the combination didn't quite work out. The scallops were smallish and the fishiness didn't quite jell with the cheesiness of the Parmesan nor the sweetness from the pumpkin. Nauseating to say the least, especially if you consume more than 1 piece. Well, at least the earthy taste from the truffle oil was noticeable.

Strozzapreti - The Strozzapreti was akin to a rounder version of the Chinese board noodles (板面); all clumped together with a rather soft texture. Served in a very rich tomato sauce with mushrooms and minced Italian pork sausages. Palatable but probably not something I would order again.

Risotto Frutti Di Mare - The hands down, best dish of the afternoon - the seafood risotto. Al dente with a nice creamy consistency. Only issue I had was with the seafood, which was quite generous but lacked taste (probably frozen). Prawns were crunchy though.

After a 50% discount, lunch for the both of us came up to about $58, which isn't exactly value for money, considering how pedestrian the food was. Food quality seems to have dipped over the years and unless it picks up, this will be my 10th (though I only blogged about 5) and last visit.

pickledpeas
 • 03 Mar 2014 93 reviews 3 followers
Overall
See the full review with pictures here.

The only thing I’ve ordered from Prego in the past was their chicken pies, which are delicious. If I’m not wrong they used to be something like $4.50? Now they only sell massive pies at $8.

Each table is started off with a bread box containing grissini, focaccia, and carta di musica, all of which is very good. They serve the breads with a cheese/olive dip but no olive oil. The cheese dip is really tasty but I think when push comes to shove, my favourite condiment for italian bread starters is marinara sauce. Their focaccia is also really spongy and soft, perfect for sopping up olive oil. The waiters here are extremely genteel and will probably bring you whatever you want.
See the full review with pictures here.

Prego has an antipasti bar that you can order various bruschetta, grilled, or stewed vegetables for $5 a portion. It’s such a great idea. They also do meat/cheese platters where you get to select 4 different meats/cheeses for $16. We tried the mushroom bruschetta, which was grilled mushrooms on a slice of bread spread with some sort of artichoke dip, and then sprinkled with parmesan. This was lovely. The prosciutto bruschetta looked very good as well.

We also got the stracciatella [$26] to start – it was humongous. It came with beautiful cherry tomatoes dressed in some olive oil and succulent king prawns. The stracciatella cheese itself was nothing really amazing – I much prefer Da Laura‘s rendition, with extra creamy burrata. I would also probably have preferred some balsamic vinegar to accompany this. The king prawns were really nice though.

I ordered the risotto contadina [$34], since I liked the contadina pasta at Okay Italia in Budapest so much. This one was stewed with grilled artichoke, pecorino cheese, and pancetta lardons. Pretty delicious, but what a humongous portion! I got it with some grated cheese and black pepper on top. We had to take it away, especially after the already large stracciatella starter and bread box.

L got the lasagna [$34], which seems to have more bechamel sauce than cheese. Traditionally I believe the cheese on top should be parmesan, not whatever they used. It was nice, but a tad too saucy? Our lasagnas in Bologna were always rather dry and had a lot more oomph. Even though it was plated so nicely in a cast iron pan I think this isn’t one of the better renditions of lasagna in Singapore. So far I do think the best I’ve had was prepared by Fabio ;) or myself.

I didn’t think the food here was particularly mindblowing, given the price. Perhaps we didn’t order the right things? Or perhaps the portions were too big. The risotto definitely made us feel a bit gelat after awhile. I really wanted to try their desserts but we simply didn’t have space. Another time, perhaps.