Back to PregoLevel 1, Fairmont Singapore, 80 Bras Basah Road

Take Away3 votes

Hoongy !
 • 21 hours ago 1734 reviews 244 followers
Overall

Focusing on Italian cuisine, I recommend starting with the Insalata Mista, mixed green salad for something light.

For something heavier, there is the Stracciatella di Bufala , buffalo cheese with a marinated king prawn in the mix or the Cotechino – Italian cooked pork sausage with roasted organic sweet pepper sauce.

For the main courses I liked the Paccheri – Maine lobster which is rich in flavour as well as the mushroom risotto. Those needing their meats need to look no further than the Stinco D’Angnello, braised lamb shank with meat that falls right off the bone.

Finally for dessert, there is the traditional tiramisu and for those looking at something fruity, go for the Zabaglione.
Children/Family, Dinner, Lunch

ArcticStar
 • 16 Apr 2014 151 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Last night was my fifth visit, with yet another different group of girlfriends.. for a sumptuous dinner. Prego's Italian Restaurant is located at 2 Stamford Road, Level One Fairmont Singapore, Swissotel the Stamford, Singapore 189560 and the number for reservations is 6431 6156.

The service is still good and friendly, and the ambience is still laid-back and non-pretentious for a good-class Italian restaurant serving decent Italian fare. Hearty diners crowd the cosy, brightly-lit classic family-style trattoria.

The three of us shared three mains - the first being the Tagliolini Al Nero - squid ink tagliolini, roasted tiger prawns, garlic and chilli in tomato sauce. The tagliolini was very springy in texture, and the sapid flavor of sour-sweet tomato was prominent. There were at least five very succulent and fresh tiger prawns, shelled and sweet for us to savor. This was truly a keeper.

Next, we had the Penne Tartufate - wild mushrooms and truffle cream sauce. Do not be fooled by the seemingly plain-looking pasta dish - the cream sauce was very delicious and rich, and of course the salient flavor of mushrooms was duly noted. The penne was cooked to a perfect texture that was neither too hard nor soft, as well.

For more detailed information and photos, please feel free to visit:

Must tries: squid ink tagliolini, duck pizza, wild mushroom penne

Dinner, Large Groups/Gathering, Lunch

fatpig
 • 11 Mar 2014 457 reviews 68 followers
Overall
Decided to give Prego another chance after a less than desirable lunch a couple of months back. It also helped that there was a 50% reduction in the bill courtesy of the FAR card.

The interior hasn't changed much, with the decor revolving around the use of wood. Whilst I like the abundant sunlight peering in from the floor to ceiling windows and the space the place affords, I can't help but compare it to a buffet/mass market restaurant - hardly befitting an Italian outfit in my humble opinion. But I digress.

Complimentary Bread -This was probably one of the worst complimentary bread I've ever had in an Italian restaurant. 4 trips to Prego in 6 months and I'm still unable to consume more than a mouthful.

Capesante in Crosta - This sounded really good on paper - Scallops coated with cheese and baked till golden brown and served with a mildly sweet pumpkin puree. Unfortunately the combination didn't quite work out. The scallops were smallish and the fishiness didn't quite jell with the cheesiness of the Parmesan nor the sweetness from the pumpkin. Nauseating to say the least, especially if you consume more than 1 piece. Well, at least the earthy taste from the truffle oil was noticeable.

Strozzapreti - The Strozzapreti was akin to a rounder version of the Chinese board noodles (板面); all clumped together with a rather soft texture. Served in a very rich tomato sauce with mushrooms and minced Italian pork sausages. Palatable but probably not something I would order again.

Risotto Frutti Di Mare - The hands down, best dish of the afternoon - the seafood risotto. Al dente with a nice creamy consistency. Only issue I had was with the seafood, which was quite generous but lacked taste (probably frozen). Prawns were crunchy though.

After a 50% discount, lunch for the both of us came up to about $58, which isn't exactly value for money, considering how pedestrian the food was. Food quality seems to have dipped over the years and unless it picks up, this will be my 10th (though I only blogged about 5) and last visit.