Review for Prego

Address: Level 1, Fairmont Singapore, 80 Bras Basah Road, 189560

+65 6884 6884
11 Mar 2014

My 10th and last visit unless they buck up

Decided to give Prego another chance after a less than desirable lunch a couple of months back. It also helped that there was a 50% reduction in the bill courtesy of the FAR card.     The interior hasn't changed much, with the decor revolving around the use of wood. Whilst I like the abundant sunlight peering in from the floor to ceiling windows and the space the place affords, I can't help but compare it to a buffet/mass market restaurant - hardly befitting an Italian outfit in my humble opinion. But I digress.   Complimentary Bread -This was probably one of the worst complimentary bread I've ever had in an Italian restaurant. 4 trips to Prego in 6 months and I'm still unable to consume more than a mouthful.    Capesante in Crosta - This sounded really good on paper - Scallops coated with cheese and baked till golden brown and served with a mildly sweet pumpkin puree. Unfortunately the combination didn't quite work out. The scallops were smallish and the fishiness didn't quite jell with the cheesiness of the Parmesan nor the sweetness from the pumpkin. Nauseating to say the least, especially if you consume more than 1 piece. Well, at least the earthy taste from the truffle oil was noticeable.   Strozzapreti - The Strozzapreti was akin to a rounder version of the Chinese board noodles (板面); all clumped together with a rather soft texture. Served in a very rich tomato sauce with mushrooms and minced Italian pork sausages. Palatable but probably not something I would order again.    Risotto Frutti Di Mare - The hands down, best dish of the afternoon - the seafood risotto. Al dente with a nice creamy consistency. Only issue I had was with the seafood, which was quite generous but lacked taste (probably frozen). Prawns were crunchy though.   After a 50% discount, lunch for the both of us came up to about $58, which isn't exactly value for money, considering how pedestrian the food was. Food quality seems to have dipped over the years and unless it picks up, this will be my 10th (though I only blogged about 5) and last visit.    See all my pictures here

More reviews of Prego

Memorable for the service

Had a really pleasant time there this evening celebrating the birthday of my boyfriend. Special thanks to Emma Xiang, who provided us with warm and excellent service, allowing us to dine in at the restaurant with this berry cheesecake (a huge generous amount of berries and a delightful chocolate base for the cheese), and personally wishing my boyfriend a happy birthday :) We had already had our dinner elsewhere and it was an exception for us to have this take-away cake there, so we really appreciate the flexibility provided and I would recommend this place for the great service and ambience!
Overall

poor italian in the city

I think swissotel should get rid of the prego brand, their food is horrible. with chefs who don't know the difference between seasalt and olive oil.

I asked for some extra virgin olive oil with my bread and I was served butter. yes, I cant belive it. a high end Italian restaurant without olive oil.

okay my aglio olio was alright. a tad on the blad side. (I thought the Europeans like things salty, and had hardly any flavour of garlic.

The pizzas here are okay at best. think about a floppy oily mess. very evident that they use inferior cheese which only oozes out oil instead of stretchy cheesy goodness..

Terrible dining experience. ambiance is alright. but the food sucks,
Management response from Prego, published 29 Jan 2016
Dear NICOLEONGEATS, Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we regret to learn about your disappointing experience. At Prego, we take pride in the food we serve and please be assured that we will continuously work with our F&B team to review your comment so as to further improve our standards. Have a great day and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Yours sincerely, The Management Prego
Overall

The Tiramisu made up for the oily spaghetti and the cramped space

Reserved for dinner there after catching a drink at Anti:Dote. The first thing I noticed, was how close the tables were. The place was cramped to say the least, and on a busy Friday evening this made it quite uncomfortable.
 Ordered the "Spaghetti Nduja tipo Calabra" and for pizza we ordered the "Rustica. The pizza was well loaded and tasty yet light. The spaghetti, though it did give me the flavor and spice I was looking for, was way too oily for my liking. There was literally a layer of oil left behind, once I finished the dish. Left me feeling bloated.
 The dessert however was nice, light and not terribly sweet. We ordered the Tiramisu to share, and it was a pleasant surprise after the spaghetti.
 The service staff was attentive without being overbearing.

Lack lustre institution for Italian in Singapore

If you are from around here you've probally eaten at Prego once or twice...

I cant say much for the foodm but it seems to ba a little localized yet trying to be autentically italian. I was confused by some of the menu items and the service staff were not able to help me.. maybe i was being demanding....

Overall

Inconsiderate service crew, bad house pour

Inconsiderate service crew

I visited Prego with a group of friends on a Tuesday night. There were 5 of us, and we placed separate bookings for 2 tables, side-by-side, so that we could enjoy the American Express FAR card promotion (which entitle us to a 1-for-1 discount, as well as the redemption of 1 bottle of House wine per table).

It was a bad, bad experience.

Firstly, the service crew do not allow us to sit in the same table & split the bill to enjoy the maximum discount. Since we wanted to enjoy the maximum discount, we asked to be seated side-by-side, and pay two bills separately.

The answer is no.

We were seated two tables away, diagonally, when the were many available tables in the restaurant. We thought this was unreasonable as it was NOT stated in the terms & conditions, at least not on the redemption voucher sent to us by American Express/FAR card. Upon enquiry, the service crew then spent 10 mins checking on the terms and conditions (not sure from where), before he could seat us side-by-side.

We were eventually seated side-by-side after he performed his "check". However, our mood were spoilt due to the unnecessary drama, which ended up in the same outcome.

Upsetting house pour
 Secondly, as we were entitled to two bottles of free house pour, we ordered one Red & one White. While the White was good, the Red tasted very bad until we have to give up half bottle of that. Two of us who had the Red actually vomited right after the dinner.

On a side note, the food was reasonably good. It wasn't fantastic but it's in line with our expectation of what a casual Italian restaurant should serve.

I would definitely NOT recommend anyone to visit Prego, at least not without the discounts.
Management response from Prego, published 20 Oct 2015
Dear Tan Ying Nee, Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we regret to learn about your disappointing experience. However, we would like to state that we were merely acting in accordance with the Terms & Conditions clearly stated for Far Card membership. Also, we appreciate your feedback with regards to the house pour and would review accordingly. Again, we appreciate your feedback in this matter as it would help to improve our service further. Have a great day and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.