Review for Ramen Santouka (Cuppage Terrace)

3.8

AsianJapanese
Address: Cuppage Terrace, 21 Cuppage Road, 229452
03 Jun 2014
Overall

All time favorite ramen in Singapore!

For full review, please visit my blog The Engineer Chef:
  Ramen Santouka is originally from the city of Asahikawa in Hokkaido, but it serves not the Asahikawa nor Sapporo style ramen, but the Hakata style ramen. There are three main broth types served: Shio (salt), Shoyu (soy sauce), and Miso (soy bean paste). The Shio ramen would be the traditional Tonkotsu broth Hakata ramen.    In addition to the delicious soup broth and noodle consistency, Ramen Santouka is popular for its Tokusen Toroniku(pork cheek meat), that is deemed to be the most tender part of pork and is very soft and delicious. When you dine at Santouka, ordering ramen that comes with Tokusen Toroniku is a must. Otherwise, you may also order a bowl of regular ramen with charsu and order Tokusen Toroniku (normal or char-grilled) as a side.

My favorite Ramen broth at Santouka would be the Awase Aji, which is a combination of all three broth: shio, shoyu, and miso. If you order the Awase Aji ramen, it comes in a set that consists of a bowl of ramen with charsu, a bowl of rice, an ajitsuke tamago, and a cup of tea. I love the taste of the broth, and after you finish the noodle, you can eat the rice together with the remaining ramen broth. This would be the dish that I always order at Ramen Santouka.

My next favorite ramen broth would be the Shio. Usually I would order a small (S) size Tokusen Toroniku Shio Ramen, with an additional ajitsuke tamago.

If you are bored with the traditional and common ramen types, you might be interested to order the Hiyashi Chuka, which is the Japanese cold noodle that is typically served during the summer. The Hiyashi Chuka is served with a few slices of Tokusen Toroniku. I would say that the Hiyashi Chuka at Ramen Santouka is not the best. The soy dressing was too salty and too sour than my liking. The acid could have been reduced and the sweetness could have been increased. Other than that, the toppings and ramen noodle were good.

I love Ramen Santouka as the broth was perfect. It was perfectly seasoned - not too salty, and just the right amount of umami. What's more important? It's lighter than the typical tonkotsu broth (say at Ramen Keisuke Tonkotsu King), which I prefer. The consistency of the noodle was great too. The charsu? They are as good as the Tokusen Toroniku so you could actually choose which meat to eat according to your mood. Perhaps the only downside of Ramen Santouka is their ajitsuke tamago. I found the tamago slightly overcooked and too sour (I wonder where the acid kicked in) - and the taste is consistent in my many visits.    Overall, Ramen Santouka is my favorite Ramen bar and has always been my go to Ramen eating place.
pork cheeks (toruniku), Shio ramen

More reviews of Ramen Santouka

Santouka

I cannot deny the fact that this is by far still the best tonkotsu base broth in singapore. Would love to try something that can challenge this position. Noodle is very chewy and q. Best when a set is ordered and rice is poured into the soup after noodle is done. Pork cheeks win any other charsiew of its kind hands down. But gets abit sickening when ordered in extreme amount. Everyone should go and try it out, it really really nice and delicious

Roasted Pork Cheeks

Decidedly went for Santouka after they sent me an email for my birthday treat. Have patronised here several time. In terms of location, it wasn’t hard to find. The seats were somewhat cramped and the place was a bit warm. The waiters and waitresses were very friendly. Although the roasted pork cheeks have a lot of fatty parts, it was still maddeningly satisfying. Nevertheless it was overall a nice experience. Recommended: Roasted pork cheeks and shoyu ramen. Unless you would like a stronger flavour, go for miso based soup. Remember to sign up for J Passport for good deals.

Pork Cheek d*** good!

Santouka Ramen is my top favorite place for ramen! Not only they serve good ramen but also their service is good, especially one of the middle age lady working at Cuppage outlet. She is so friendly and reminds me to eat my ramen as soon as it is being served to avoid the noodles from soaking too long. My favorite order at this place is their Pork Cheek Ramen, and I high recommend everyone to try this! The pork cheek is heavenly good, they were soft that it melts in your mouth!

Service 2/10

Great food but pretty poor service. Pork cheeks was great but service staff really needs to brush up. forgetting you exist and forgetting your order. Advise: don't sit outside lest the servers forget you exist.

yummiest ramen

Absolutely my first visit after hearing so many good reviews about this place from friends and colleagues. Worth every single penny and definitely the best ramen I've ever had so far. I will return for more