Summary

Service3
pork cheeks (toruniku), Japanese egg, Shio ramen, ramen with miso base, Beer Cocktail, Char Siew, Mixed base soup ramen, Ramen, Shoyu Ramen Miso Ramen Dry Ramen, salt or soy based noodles View all
Lunch, Dinner, After Work, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Children/Family, Chillout, Girls Night Out, Quiet, Relaxed View all

All time favorite ramen in Singapore!

For full review, please visit my blog The Engineer Chef:
  Ramen Santouka is originally from the city of Asahikawa in Hokkaido, but it serves not the Asahikawa nor Sapporo style ramen, but the Hakata style ramen. There are three main broth types served: Shio (salt), Shoyu (soy sauce), and Miso (soy bean paste). The Shio ramen would be the traditional Tonkotsu broth Hakata ramen.    In addition to the delicious soup broth and noodle consistency, Ramen Santouka is popular for its Tokusen Toroniku(pork cheek meat), that is deemed to be the most tender part of pork and is very soft and delicious. When you dine at Santouka, ordering ramen that comes with Tokusen Toroniku is a must. Otherwise, you may also order a bowl of regular ramen with charsu and order Tokusen Toroniku (normal or char-grilled) as a side.

My favorite Ramen broth at Santouka would be the Awase Aji, which is a combination of all three broth: shio, shoyu, and miso. If you order the Awase Aji ramen, it comes in a set that consists of a bowl of ramen with charsu, a bowl of rice, an ajitsuke tamago, and a cup of tea. I love the taste of the broth, and after you finish the noodle, you can eat the rice together with the remaining ramen broth. This would be the dish that I always order at Ramen Santouka.

My next favorite ramen broth would be the Shio. Usually I would order a small (S) size Tokusen Toroniku Shio Ramen, with an additional ajitsuke tamago.

If you are bored with the traditional and common ramen types, you might be interested to order the Hiyashi Chuka, which is the Japanese cold noodle that is typically served during the summer. The Hiyashi Chuka is served with a few slices of Tokusen Toroniku. I would say that the Hiyashi Chuka at Ramen Santouka is not the best. The soy dressing was too salty and too sour than my liking. The acid could have been reduced and the sweetness could have been increased. Other than that, the toppings and ramen noodle were good.

I love Ramen Santouka as the broth was perfect. It was perfectly seasoned - not too salty, and just the right amount of umami. What's more important? It's lighter than the typical tonkotsu broth (say at Ramen Keisuke Tonkotsu King), which I prefer. The consistency of the noodle was great too. The charsu? They are as good as the Tokusen Toroniku so you could actually choose which meat to eat according to your mood. Perhaps the only downside of Ramen Santouka is their ajitsuke tamago. I found the tamago slightly overcooked and too sour (I wonder where the acid kicked in) - and the taste is consistent in my many visits.    Overall, Ramen Santouka is my favorite Ramen bar and has always been my go to Ramen eating place.

Most helpful reviews for Ramen Santouka (Cuppage Terrace)

yummiest ramen

Absolutely my first visit after hearing so many good reviews about this place from friends and colleagues. Worth every single penny and definitely the best ramen I've ever had so far. I will return for more

One of the best ramen and tamago (Japanese egg)

Full review and photos: http://foodiefc.blogspot.sg/2013/01/hokkaido-ramen-santouka-orchard-cuppage.html

Hokkaido Ramen Santouka
 is a Japanese ramen chain, started by Hitoshi Hatanaka in 1988, in Asahikawa, Hokkaido. It all began because Hitoshi Hatanaka was not satisfied with the taste of a ramen he had at a ramen shop. Hence, he used his own recipe and started off small with only 9 seats and one item on the menu. Today, almost 25 years later, Hokkaido Ramen Santouka operates 54 ramen restaurants worldwide in Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Canada as well as United States of America.

So what made them so successful? Read on to find out.

Visited the outlet at Orchard Cuppage Terrace, next to OG Orchard Point and Centrepoint. Although it was a weekend afternoon, the restaurant was only half full, with plenty of seats available. There were more seats available outdoors compared to indoors (where it is air-conditioned).

The Chawanmushi; steamed egg pudding with salmon roe was impressive. It was very smooth and wobbly. In terms of taste, it was amazingly aromatic and tasty! One of the better Chawanmushi I have had. Reminds me of the one from Shin Yuu Japanese Restaurant.

I ordered the Shin-Aji Shoyu Ramen. The ramen (noodle) was quite good. Thin, curly and chewy with a smooth texture. More the ramen was springy (QQ) springy and not soggy. The broth was clear, rich and robust. Light brown in colour because soy sauce was used (hence the word 'Shoyu'). It was so aromatic with sweetness and saltiness well-balanced.

Food is good as always, but service standard fell

Visited one of my favourite ramen restaurant in Singapore last Saturday.

We ordered 2 ramens which is good as usual, but was unfortunately marred by the drop in customer service, in particular to the chinese staff whom spoke in strong northern chinese accent.

We sat next to this young english speaking couple, and they were also forced to order in chinese as this young waiter just simply refused to speak in English to them.

It was my turn at the cashier, when he was the one mending it.

He just said "char sao bao, mei lai ma".....(we cancelled the char siew bun because it did not arrive when both of us had finished our ramen)

I replied "sorry, what?"

He repeated again "char sao bao, mei lai ma"

I am sure it is only right for all your staffs to be trained in basic english in order to be a server/cashier, or otherwise should remain in the kitchen.

Dinner

I was surprised to received an email from Ramen Santouka. It seem that being a follower of Ramen Santouka, I will receive a free bowl of ramen on the week after my birthday, which was quite a great deal considering that a bowl of ramen costs about $13.50++ at the ramen outlet.

There was 2 ramen outlets in Singapore, Clark Quay and Orchard. I decide to visit the Orchard outlet as I had not eaten there before. The outlet was lcoated next to Harry's in a row of shophouse, behind Centrepoint Shopping Centre. There was both indoor and outdoor dine in area, but most prefer indoor as it was air-con. I was showed to a table indoor. While it was cooling, I could not feel the air-con. Could be due to the place was packed.

There was 4 choices for the free ramen : shio, shoyu, miso, and kara miso (spicy). I decided on the miso version.

Food was served swiftly together. Water was served free of charge.

Miso Ramen ($13.50++)
The ramen was served topped with fish cake, sesame seeds, shredded black fungus, bamboo shoots, and shredded spring onions. The soup base smelt quite porky. It tasted quite rich and flavoured, but porky too. Although the serving looked small, I was quite full after having it.

Sake Ikura Gohan ($5++)
Grilled Salmon & Salmon Roe Rice Bowl
The salmon flakes was just a thin spread of layer on top of the rice. Felt disappointed in the serving. The salmon flakes was a bit too salty.

Overall the food was not bad. The place was a bit too warm with barely any air-con. I was seated by the wall, which seat was rather worn out and sunk in. Think its time for the place to get a makeover.