Ramen Santouka (Central, Eu Tong Sen) (火头山)

Summary

Tokusen Toroniku (pork cheek) ramen, Toroniku (pork cheeks), shio ramen, Ramen, Komi-Tamago (Soft Boiled Egg), Char siew, Spicy Miso Ramen, shoyu ramen, Miso Ramen, Awase-aji, Choice Pork, Choice Pork Ramen and Tamago, Combined Soup Ramen, Hiyashi Cold Ramen, Mix rice & noodle set, Tonkatsu, Tonkotsu Ramen, Toroniku Miso, char siew rice and ramen combo., gyoza, hiyashi tsukemen, spicy ramen, the pork cheeks ramen View all
Dinner, Lunch, After Work, Vibrant/Noisy, View/Scenery, Hidden Find, Children/Family, Waterfront, Quiet, Girls Night Out, Brunch, Supper, Boys Night Out, Chillout, People Watching, Romance/First Dates, Ala Carte, Business Dining, Large Groups/Gathering, Cheap Eat/Budget View all

still my favourite ramen place!

for full review with pictures, visit http://molly-mia.blogspot.sg/2014/03/mias-review-santouka-ramen.html

has tried numerous ramen places and santouka still tops it all. first time visiting their branch at The Central (is always going to the branch at cuppage) and was pretty frustrated over trying to find the place. I mean, i can see it so easily from outside the building but couldn't seem to find it when i'm inside! It's located at a far too secluded corner of the mall and the place is actually very small. food wise, it's good but somehow i feel cuppage terrace does it better? but it might just be me. was pretty disappointed over their menma and black pork gyoza. shall stick to their ramen, flavoured egg and chawanmushi in future.

Most helpful reviews for Ramen Santouka (Central, Eu Tong Sen)

A restaurant that does not honour its word

We all know that Singapore is full of good ramen restaurants. It's quite an achievement for one to stand out from the crowd. I first tried this place three months ago and fell in love with the food. The last time, I received a one-for-one voucher for next visit.

I recently visited it again on 23 Feb thinking I'll use the one-for-one since I miss a good bowl of ramen. I had to takeaway. I checked the voucher and it didnt specify dine-in only (which some restaurants do). I visited this outlet and when i presented the voucher for takeaway, they flatly refused to.

I spoke to the manager and asked why they were refusing to honour the voucher when their terms did not state dine-in only. She said it was the restaurant's internal policy. I politely explained that even if that were the case, a customer has no way to know their internal policy. The only way is for them to spell it out on the voucher. Further, the voucher did not say that the management could change the terms of it. It is trite that if you give customers your word (through your promotions), you abide by it.

Nevertheless, they refused to acknowledge that they are breaking their promise and flatly denied my takeaway request. I was disappointed but decided I would just buy one bowl for takeaway.

This is where the story gets worse. After I paid, I checked my receipt and realised that they were charging 10% service charge. This amounted to $1.35. I clarified why service charge was imposed for takeaway since there is no table service to speak of. The manager then said that it was surcharge for takeaway boxes. I was quite distrubed because most resturants wouldn't charge a takeaway charge if you bag your food. Nevertheless, I asked her whether it was in the menu. The manager herself admitted that it was not. I pointed out that you shouldnt charge for things you dont spell out to your customers. She didn't care. Leaving me with no recourse, I just accepted that I had been conned into paying $1.35 for two ordinary plastic boxes that hawker centres use.

Santouka ramen, you are one of the leading names around. It is disappointing that you resort to unfair consumer practices. Whether I return ever again depends on how you respond to this (if at all).

Good ramen and generous serving size

Apparently some haters are saying bad about santouka (those ppl with no profile pic and the one and only review post just to defame santouka. you readers must know who those ppl are)

We bought voucher from some group deal site and for 12SGD, the voucher offered their famous Tokusen Toroniku Ramen and 5-piece gyoza. I would like to say the portion they offered was really generous - more than often the food offered from vouchers are cheap in price but small in portion (smaller than usual serving, a.k.a. "tasting portion", i guess), but santouka really showed us good faith.  The quality of the toroniku was superb, tender and juicy, and 6 PIECES was so generous that we had to try our best to finish them!! The ramen was already more value than what we paid, and came together from the voucher was the 5-piece gyoza. The gyoza tasted nice, we liked the firm stuffing.

As a ramen fanatic, I dont think anywhere else in Singapore you can get such reasonably priced and qualtiy ramen. So TO HATERS: even if you choose to be a hater, try to be a reasonable one .

Besides the voucher, we also ordered Grilled Charshu and Awase-Aji mixed soup ramen. All that we ordered tasted good, and we are definitely coming back again.

We spent 43SGD for 2 pax (incl. 12SGD voucher).

Please follow the link for the full review and more pics.

Bad customer relationship experience

Service 1

Very disappointing customer relationship. I have bought a voucher in Aug. Forgot it expired Dec 18. When I call to see if it can be extended, I am given a unfriendly ... cannot be done ... I ask to speak to the manager, was told manager only speak Japanese. The dates are not that far off and the restaurant is totally unflexible. This is money down the drain for me and pure profit to the restaurant. Ridiculous

awesome ramen!

very good RAMEN! love the pork cheeks ramen it is super tasty, best ramen I have ever eaten(ps I'm a self proclaimed ramen connoisseur) Haha must try! just a pity that the restaurant itself is quite small.

Great food

I used a coupon from JPassport to get a great meal for cheap. The Iberico pork was delicious and the ramen noodles were springy and with perfect bite. The shio soup base was a bit too salty but had the richness and depth of flavor that we look for in ramen soups. Overall the experience was positive!