Review for Red Star Restaurant (红星酒家)

3.2

AsianCantoneseChineseDim Sum
Address: #07-23, Chin Swee Area Office, 54 Chin Swee Road, 160054
17 Jan 2014

old time favorite

I always have a good experience when I eat here. The food is consistently good and service efficient. They also have a wider range of dim sim here than other places. I also really love the old time ambience. Be warned you have to queue and wait on the weekends.
Egg Tart, Siew Mai, Century Egg Porridge

More reviews of Red Star Restaurant

Overall

Food is okay, although service is not the best

Some where great for breakfast/brunch/lunch. However don't expect great service. Would say their service isn't up to mark for anywhere.

Egg tarts very disappointed

I see the reviews mention that the egg tarts is nice. But after I have tried it today, I am very disappointed. The custard is not crispy, I think is because less butter added to it and tasteless.
The suckling pig cost $18 exclude GST and service charge, very small portion. I am very disappointed too. It should b crispy, the meat tender and moist but is NOT!

Old feel HK style

Place u wanna have real traditional Hong Kong style at a old building near to Chinatown area! Many locals visit this is the place! Like their beef stomach soup and HK style porridge ~ also like their Siew mai :)
Food ok not super super good!
Overall

More for an authentic dimsum experience

And very frankly, I think Red Star needs no further introduction. When discussing where to head (off to) for dim sum, Red Star will always pop up.

Red Star does not accept reservation. So it will be good to come early cause some of their dishes run out by afternoon. Upon arrival, we immediately joined the queue which was on the immediate right after the entrance. Although the queue was long, it moved pretty fast and we were allocated a table within 20 minutes.

And because the restaurant was really busy on weekends, instead of waiting for the push carts to come to us, we were searching for the push carts that had the items we wanted. But a good thing about their order-card is that the dishes’ names were spelled out on it. So it allowed us to see the full range of dim sum offered, and one can always decide what new items to try too.

And from the push carts, we ordered:-

1) Ha-kau (虾饺), $4

2) Siew-mai (烧卖), $4

3) Fried prawn dumpling (明虾角), $4

4) Chicken feet (凤爪), $4

Due to the (silly) 3000 characters limit, continue to read my review on other dishes here:PART2

11) Durian roll (榴莲卷), $4.20 – Again, one of the staff recommended this when we mistook her push cart as one with the rice rolls (肠粉). And when we decided to try one portion, the friendly auntie said “These run out very fast. I will save one more portion for you cause you will definitely come back for more.” And she was right. These were so good that we had to go back for more cause no one in the group of 6 (of us) wanted to share our roll. Ha! They were very generous with the durian fillings too.

12) Honey dew with seigo (蜜瓜西米露), $4.20

13) Logan almond beancurd (龙眼豆腐), $4.20

I won’t say the food was fantastic. It was pretty average with a few dishes that shone. Like the egg tarts, jin long ji (金龙鸡) and durian roll. But, I would recommend Red Star for the ambience.

Red Star must be one of the few restaurants which provide a nostalgic experience by transporting us to older days with its decor. Think carpeted floor with red velvet chairs. And in a way, my friends and I better appreciated our dim sum with us having to hunt down our food by searching for the correct push carts. Ha.

And if one plans to drive, do try to park at the level nearer to the restaurant (level 7) so that one could just take the staircase. It was a pain for us (who took public transport) waiting at ground level as there was only 1 small lift which was always packed.

---------
PS : I am a blogger too! Lifestyle blogFood Blog

Slow and Bad Service ...

first time to Red Star was in 2011 in a group of 9paxand didn't get to try many food items by then ... so decided to visit last Sunday for lunch. Didn't take a long time to get a table for 4pax, waiting time about 15mins.
Horrible service (2 service staff started to fight while I was trying to order some food from her trolley, got a smack on my arm instead for self-service). Another service staff took our pot of tea for refill and never return. We had to ask for another pot after several requests and it happened 3-4times during our 1hour stay there. My idea of dim sum items should have more steam items but this time i see a lot of fried food items ... steam item trolley only have one and pathetic choices : xiao long bao, custard bun, chao siew bun, chicken feet, siew mai and har kow ... but sad to say ... barely much.

we didn't order a lot (10 items thereabout) but the bill comes up to $70 ...

in short: not going back anymore. Service sucks and food so-so.