Reviews for Absinthe

EuropeanFrenchWesternWine
Address: 72 Boat Quay
Here Here

Good but not great

I chose Absinthe for a business lunch yesterday, based on its score and reviews on HGW.  In summary it was good but not great.  The restaurant is located among the bars of boat quay, fronting the river (I preferred their old location).  It has a French bistro look and feel to it, more classic than modern.  I can't fault the interior.  The service was very good - friendly and accomodating.  We ordered the set lunch at $38++ for three courses.  One of us paid $10 extra for the foie gras appetizer and two of us paid $20 extra for the wagyu sirloin.  I had grilled king prawn on angel hair pasta (again, good but not great), the wagyu sirloin (i thought the beef had a strange smell and flavour and left half of it on my plate; the potato was very good though); and the bread & butter pudding (good but small).  We finished with coffees (notably at $8.50 each!)  The bill came to $70/head and I left thinking there are probably better options out there.
15 Aug 2014 • 15 reviews • 0 follower

Good but not great

13 Jul 2014 • 11 reviews • 0 follower

Restaurant Week March 2014

To start off, we had a grilled prawn with eggplant cavier & coriander. The grilled prawn was nicely done, with a slight crunch to it. However, I'm not a fan of eggplant and thus I didn't quite enjoy the mashy texture of it. I also realized that there was a lack of flavor for this dish!

We were then served the onion soup with cavier cream and chorizo. Soup was tasty! Who wouldn't like onion soup? ;) The chorizo bits in the soup added a bite to the soup which made it more interesting!

For mains, we ordered both of the choices available. The French style fish and chips came a little
15 Mar 2014 • 136 reviews • 0 follower

A disappointing lunch during restaurant week

So, all in all, Absinthe I felt did not perform well at all for the restaurant week’s lunch menu. Maybe they do serve really delicious mains and desserts on the menu but really they did not perform up to mark for restaurant week. It may have been a $40 menu and of course its food has to be on a simpler side which I totally agree. But simpler food doesn’t equate to bland, diluted food which is what I have experienced over here. Simpler food can still be made really delicious and a good example would be Fleur de Sel which has its lunch menu starting from $38, cheaper than Absinthe’s. S