Reviews for Absinthe

EuropeanFrenchWesternWine
Address: 72 Boat Quay
Here Here

Good but not great

I chose Absinthe for a business lunch yesterday, based on its score and reviews on HGW.  In summary it was good but not great.  The restaurant is located among the bars of boat quay, fronting the river (I preferred their old location).  It has a French bistro look and feel to it, more classic than modern.  I can't fault the interior.  The service was very good - friendly and accomodating.  We ordered the set lunch at $38++ for three courses.  One of us paid $10 extra for the foie gras appetizer and two of us paid $20 extra for the wagyu sirloin.  I had grilled king prawn on angel hair pasta (again, good but not great), the wagyu sirloin (i thought the beef had a strange smell and flavour and left half of it on my plate; the potato was very good though); and the bread & butter pudding (good but small).  We finished with coffees (notably at $8.50 each!)  The bill came to $70/head and I left thinking there are probably better options out there.
15 Aug 2014 • 15 reviews • 0 follower

Good but not great

13 Jul 2014 • 11 reviews • 0 follower

Restaurant Week March 2014

To start off, we had a grilled prawn with eggplant cavier & coriander. The grilled prawn was nicely done, with a slight crunch to it. However, I'm not a fan of eggplant and thus I didn't quite enjoy the mashy texture of it. I also realized that there was a lack of flavor for this dish!

We were then served the onion soup with cavier cream and chorizo. Soup was tasty! Who wouldn't like onion soup? ;) The chorizo bits in the soup added a bite to the soup which made it more interesting!

For mains, we ordered both of the choices available. The French style fish and chips came a little underwhelming. Where is my fish??? Hahaha. Absinthe's rendition of fish and chip is slightly different from others, where they have their layer of batter wrapping up the fish like a wanton skin. It was extremely crispy as small pieces of skin were seen flying off the plate as I cut them apart. Fish was very fresh & tender, well accompanied by the French style mayonnaise egg sauce. It came along with some savory puffs, but it was nothing special. Would prefer my chips anyday!

The slow braised Wagyu beef shoulder with grilled polenta & cherry tomato was the other option for mains. The Wagyu beef was super super tender! It was easily torn apart and it kept me wondering if I was eating beef?? I believed that it was braised in a red wine sauce, giving it a flavorful touch to the dish!

Dessert was a white chocolate mousse in mango & passion fruit soup. The sweetness from the white chocolate was a great match for the sour-ish soup! There were also grapefruit & strawberry bits in it and that was a great end to our meal!

Full review at http://feleats.blogspot.sg/2014/03/absinthe-restaurant-week-march-2014.html
15 Mar 2014 • 136 reviews • 0 follower

A disappointing lunch during restaurant week

So, all in all, Absinthe I felt did not perform well at all for the restaurant week’s lunch menu. Maybe they do serve really delicious mains and desserts on the menu but really they did not perform up to mark for restaurant week. It may have been a $40 menu and of course its food has to be on a simpler side which I totally agree. But simpler food doesn’t equate to bland, diluted food which is what I have experienced over here. Simpler food can still be made really delicious and a good example would be Fleur de Sel which has its lunch menu starting from $38, cheaper than Absinthe’s. S agreed with me that today’s lunch menu is really mediocre and I was really puzzled at how the french waiter was showered with continuous praises from the family beside our table. It really isn’t that great. Then again, service was good and smiley and most of the waiters are French I think. I was asked how was the food and gave them my honest feedback and they said that they would feedback to the chef. Well, so this wouldn’t be a restaurant to go to if they continue the standard they showed today and nope, it wouldn’t be a restaurant that I will return to.

For more details, please visit: