Foie gras17 votes
View/Scenery3 votes

foodolicious
 • 15 Mar 2014 112 reviews 0 follower
Overall
So, all in all, Absinthe I felt did not perform well at all for the restaurant week’s lunch menu. Maybe they do serve really delicious mains and desserts on the menu but really they did not perform up to mark for restaurant week. It may have been a $40 menu and of course its food has to be on a simpler side which I totally agree. But simpler food doesn’t equate to bland, diluted food which is what I have experienced over here. Simpler food can still be made really delicious and a good example would be Fleur de Sel which has its lunch menu starting from $38, cheaper than Absinthe’s. S agreed with me that today’s lunch menu is really mediocre and I was really puzzled at how the french waiter was showered with continuous praises from the family beside our table. It really isn’t that great. Then again, service was good and smiley and most of the waiters are French I think. I was asked how was the food and gave them my honest feedback and they said that they would feedback to the chef. Well, so this wouldn’t be a restaurant to go to if they continue the standard they showed today and nope, it wouldn’t be a restaurant that I will return to.

For more details, please visit:

karenewtan
 • 09 Mar 2014 7 reviews 0 follower
Overall
This is the 2nd time I visited and there were 5 of us. Liked the cosy ambience, good fresh oysters and tasty lobster bisque however am writing this review to warn of the mineral water (I had the still). I was charged $9 per bottle. When we were seated, we were asked if we wanted still or sparkling, the waiter kept refilling our glasses with the water (each time with a higher level of water) without ever mentioning it was charged or even asking if we wanted him to open another bottle. and when I saw the bill in my car, I was shocked to see $27 charged for 3 bottles of still water ! Beware of this !

ms-skinnyfat
 • 12 Dec 2013 210 reviews 41 followers
Overall
For more reviews, visit www.ms-skinnyfat.com

F&B restaurants are a dime a dozen in Singapore these days and most don't even survive past a year. Which is why Absinthe is great, because despite its lack of publicity and even a change of location, it has been doing good since i last wrote about it 2 years ago (read about it here).

We sampled a couple of dishes from the ala carte menu. Pictures show tasting portions.

Hamachi ($26), carpaccio of marinated yellow tail kingfish with Aquitaine caviar, cucumber and baby cress. A simple refreshing start to the night.

Saint Jacques ($26), seared Hokkaido scallops, braised daikon, wakame and lemon thyme emulsion. Lemon line. This dish really whets the appetite with the tangy citrus. The braised daikon, while being thoroughly flavored, still maintained some bite to it. The scallop was perfectly executed with a light pinkish center and lovely browned crust.

Next, the Foie Gras Poêlé ($29), Chef Francois’ rendition of pan-fried foie gras served with warm blinis and Morello cherries. I found it little on the oily side and the blinis soaked up all the excess oil. Needless to say, I left it after a bite. If foie gras is your thing, opt for the Foie Gras Terrine ($29), layered with smoked duck breast and served with warm brioche (read it here). It's certainly a hot favorite.

The Bisque ($15), lobster (of course) was a little on the bland side. A hint of cognac was detected but did not lend any flavors to the soup.

From the mains, the Canard (lunch $40, dinner $42) is a French duck leg confit should not be missed. Nice crispy skin with a well flavored and moist duck meat. Comes served with Sarladaise potatoes, mushrooms and Madiran wine sauce.

We ended dinner on a sweet note with the Vanilla Madeleines ($15), freshly baked-to-order and accompanied with Valrhona chocolate mousse. Freshly baked goods are always good but this changed my mind about the boring madeleines.

Must tries: foie gras terrine