Reviews for Absinthe

EuropeanFrenchWesternWine
Address: 72 Boat Quay, 049860

20 May 2015

Worth every penny

For more review, visit: http://www.huipingtay.blogspot.com

Nested at Boat Quay, Absinthe is a comfortable and unassuming French restaurant. They serves an extensive selection of reasonably priced wines covering most of France and other countries as well. During out visit, we opt for the Set lunch menu ($40) which comes with a starters, mains and dessert.

The meal begins with an Assortment of Homemade Charcuterie. This was slightly salty to me, but my friends enjoyed it. For starters, we had the Australian King Prawn served with angel hair and ikura. The prawn was fresh and juicy. For mains, the Braised Kurobuta Pork Belly is served with sauteed button mushroom, savoy cabbage and polenta. The pork belly's texture is smooth, fatty and melts in the mouth. For dessert, the Menage a Trois is served. The trilogy of Valrhona Chocolate is definitely a sinful pleasure.

The place is slightly pricey but definitely worth visiting during the restaurant week.

More reviews of Absinthe

Overall

They've changed chefs, don't bother going.

My hubby took me here last night for my birthday and it was such a disappointment. The risotto starter was drenched in cheese so greasy you can't taste anything else. The baked black cod was bland and served with soggy vegetables in a tasteless watery lobster bisque. Which was once again served with a risotto swimming in greasy cheese neither of us could stomach. We were so fed up we didn't even bother ordering dessert and just paid for our overpriced dinner (for what it was) and left vowing never to go back. The waiter told us they've changed chef since last year and we're kicking ourselves for not going earlier before the place went dramatically downhill...

Disappointed

I went in with high expectations as previous visits were very pleasant. Today the Chicken which is one of the 4 choices for set lunch was disappointing. The dish was overwhelmed with the sauce which is overly saltish and the chicken did not appear fresh? Also there was so much lint from napkins which stayed on my dark pants and the waiters could not offer any solution to remove them. The mushroom soup and the Risotto was cooked to perfection.

Alright, worth a visit

For pictures abd full review, pls visit:

After climbing a long flight of stairs, we were lead to our seats on the second level, which had dark walls and contrasting white paintings illustrating the romance on French streets, complete with white pressed table cloth and plush velvet chairs. The space isn’t huge and tables are rather cramped together-you can hear your neighbor’s conversation clearly. If you prefer dining with a view, alfresco dining is available too.

Instead of Amuse Bouche, we started lunch with an Assortment of Homemade Charcuterie, gherkin and bread slices.

Australian King Prawn starter, complemented with al dente angel hair pasta and pops of ikura. The entree could have been better if the prawns were fresh.

Nesting on a bed of polenta, savoy cabbage and sauteed mushrooms, the Braised Kurobuta Pork Belly had a crispy exterior. While it did not melt in the mouth, the sufficiently tender meat had just the right amount of fat and bite. However, this dish fell slightly short as it was not as juicy as we would’ve liked.

Due to its low fat content, Halibut can easily become too dry when cooking. Absinthe’s Grilled Fillet of Halibut was skillfully prepared, retaining its moisture and mild sweet flavor. The lean fish was harmoniously complemented with zucchini ribbon, crushed potatoes and chorizo foam.

A play on textures, the Trilogy of Valrhona Chocolate consists of velvety chocolate mousse on chocolate sponge, adorned with a dark chocolate strip and crunchy chocolate bits. It may take you a few mouthfuls to fully investigate the delights of this treat. We love the fact that the chocolate isn’t overly sweet and its richness isn’t cloying in the throat.

Absolute wonderful dinner

I spent my last evening there just before heading to the Airport and I still have the taste of the delicious food in my mouth. I had the Lobster Bisque which I adored and the Black Cod with Saffron Risotto which was a delight. There was no more room left for the dessert.
I am from Switzerland and French food is my favorite kind so I must say that I was extremely happy with my choice to come here. I sat right by the river and enjoyed my last hours with glass of wine and wonderful food before returning to Europe.
I highly recommend this Restaurant and hope you will enjoy it as much as I have. Cheers Zena