Reviews for Absinthe

EuropeanFrenchWesternWine
Address: 72 Boat Quay
yrh0413

Slight letdown after chef Francois left the restaurant

We had a great meal on Xmas eve 2013, and we decided to revisit Absinthe on New Year Eve 2014. Still the same cozy atmosphere, attentive and polite staff. The food taste good but the whole dinner experience just felt... Different. Dishes lacks finesse, presentation is less appealing compared to our previous trip. We had the cheese platter add-on and we were served with bread only (cheese serving is very small too), we have to ask for dry fruits. Back in 2013 we were served with generous portions, fresh grapes, crackers, cranberries etc. this time round it feels like someone took a plate to the buffet counter and gathered some cheese for us.

Not to mentioned the ala carte menu was not available on NY eve too. Price has increased a little but our dining experience went down. After we foot the bill only we got to know chef Francois has left and now replaced by chef Nicolas starting Dec 2014.

Overall the dinner was pleasant but we left with slight disappointment. Probably will try other places next year.
01 Jan 2015 • 1 review • 0 follower

Slight letdown after chef Francois left the restaurant

15 Aug 2014 • 15 reviews • 0 follower

Good but not great

I chose Absinthe for a business lunch yesterday, based on its score and reviews on HGW.  In summary it was good but not great.  The restaurant is located among the bars of boat quay, fronting the river (I preferred their old location).  It has a French bistro look and feel to it, more classic than modern.  I can't fault the interior.  The service was very good - friendly and accomodating.  We ordered the set lunch at $38++ for three courses.  One of us paid $10 extra for the foie gras appetizer and two of us paid $20 extra for the wagyu sirloin.  I had grilled king prawn on angel hair pasta (again, good but not great), the wagyu sirloin (i thought the beef had a strange smell and flavour and left half of it on my plate; the potato was very good though); and the bread & butter pudding (good but small).  We finished with coffees (notably at $8.50 each!)  The bill came to $70/head and I left thinking there are probably better options out there.
13 Jul 2014 • 11 reviews • 0 follower

Restaurant Week March 2014

To start off, we had a grilled prawn with eggplant cavier & coriander. The grilled prawn was nicely done, with a slight crunch to it. However, I'm not a fan of eggplant and thus I didn't quite enjoy the mashy texture of it. I also realized that there was a lack of flavor for this dish!

We were then served the onion soup with cavier cream and chorizo. Soup was tasty! Who wouldn't like onion soup? ;) The chorizo bits in the soup added a bite to the soup which made it more interesting!

For mains, we ordered both of the choices available. The French style fish and chips came a little underwhelming. Where is my fish??? Hahaha. Absinthe's rendition of fish and chip is slightly different from others, where they have their layer of batter wrapping up the fish like a wanton skin. It was extremely crispy as small pieces of skin were seen flying off the plate as I cut them apart. Fish was very fresh & tender, well accompanied by the French style mayonnaise egg sauce. It came along with some savory puffs, but it was nothing special. Would prefer my chips anyday!

The slow braised Wagyu beef shoulder with grilled polenta & cherry tomato was the other option for mains. The Wagyu beef was super super tender! It was easily torn apart and it kept me wondering if I was eating beef?? I believed that it was braised in a red wine sauce, giving it a flavorful touch to the dish!

Dessert was a white chocolate mousse in mango & passion fruit soup. The sweetness from the white chocolate was a great match for the sour-ish soup! There were also grapefruit & strawberry bits in it and that was a great end to our meal!

Full review at http://feleats.blogspot.sg/2014/03/absinthe-restaurant-week-march-2014.html