Summary

Coffee, Waffles, Carbonara, Prawn Risotto, Rokeby chilli mussles, Truffle Shoestring Fries, Beef Cheek Stew, Mango Smoothie View all
Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Relaxed, After Work, Children/Family, Chillout, High Tea, Breakfast View all

A great cafe place

A little quaint cafe place in the middle of the Wolskel rd estate, this cafe is perfect for a coffee with friends. We had coffee there and the price was reasonable. not too crowded too.

Most helpful reviews for Rokeby

Go for the food. Skip coffee and desserts.

Came by this newly opened cafe last evening with my girlfriend. As coffee lovers, we were excited to check the place out as it is near where she lives and they boasted good artisanal coffee. Business was brisk when we arrived and the shop was packed. Still, we managed to get seated promptly within a few minutes without reservations, which i am grateful for.

We started off the meal with a cup of latte and a flat white. On first glance, the latte art looked impressive. However, they were really, really disappointing.

Here are some distinct signs of why we think the coffee was badly made:

1. They were served boiling hot, which indicated over steaming of the milk
2. An equal amount of top micro-foam present on both the latte and flat white.
3. A lot more crema present on the latte than the flat white, which may represent uneven tamping (assuming they were pulled together)
4. The shots were over extracted and our coffee tasted explicitly bitter.
5. We all know that good coffee beans should be consumed 1-2 weeks (2 weeks is already a stretch) after roasting. I checked the shelves and they were stocking beans that were roasted way before that range.

For mains, we ordered Carbonara and Vongole which were surprisingly well done, thankfully. My vongole came with a well balanced white wine gravy which was neither too light or heavy. The texture of the linguine was slightly springy, which was good. The portions of both the pasta and clams were relatively generous too. My girlfriend also enjoyed her Carbonara very much.

To end it off, we had a chocolate lava cake and a sticky date pudding for dessert. Unfortunately, the molten chocolate in the lava cake had a powdery texture which i did not enjoy, and the cake surrounding the liquid chocolate was at best mediocre. Both desserts were a little too sweet for our taste preferences, but admittedly we have less of a sweet tooth than most people we know.

All in all, we did not feel the whole package was worth the money spent. If i ever do come back, I'll stick to Vongole and iced water.

Good cafe with smelly toilets

Second visit here and all's good with the food, but once I hit the back area to wash my hands, I almost gagged at the stench... Please do something about it. It's a great pity that you guys try hard on offering good food but not good sanitary practice.

The management of Rokeby responded to this review:
19 Oct 2015
Dear Customer, Thanks for your feedback on this matter. We will look into this matter immediately and rectify it. We apologise for your unpleasant experience. Hope to serve you soon again! Rokeby Management

TWO Thumbs DOWN!

Today was my second visit to Rokeby. I was quite impressed with the food during my first visit but was utterly disappointed today with EVERYTHING I ordered (which actually are their specialities). I ordered a Rib-Eye steak (medium) but literally spat out my first bite of it. The steak was tasteless, rubbery and so tough - just YUCKS! To describe it simply, it must have been a frozen piece of steak that was cooked UN-THAWED. Not forgetting that the steak here IS NOT CHEAP! I was then offered to swap my steak for something else on the menu and I chose the burger which is again a speciality of the restaurant. Needless to say, it was disappointing yet again. The ground beef that they used to make the patty was just salty and not pleasant smelling. I'm at a loss of words to describe the taste of it (because there is none in the first place) but just distasteful.

Interesting Waffles

For more reviews, visit www.ms-skinnyfat.com

The Serangoon folks are probably gonna kill me with this post on their not too hidden brunch spot but there was something that i tried which was too yums not to share. Here's Rokeby, just a couple shops down from 2 other popular spots Cajun Kings and Wimbly Lu. Sharing is caring you know?

I thought that it wasn't necessary to make a reservation on a Saturday afternoon (honestly what was i thinking) and it turned out to be really crowded! Thankfully we got a table (indoors no less) in a short bit. Thank you my lucky stars!

There aren't many options for brunch actually and they could be generally classified into 3 categories, Eggs Ben, Waffles and 'Everything Else' (eggs, sausages, toast etc.). An example that falls under the 'Everything Else' category would be the Full Monty Brekkie ($17.90) and it comes with 2 eggs served with 2 bratwurst sausages, bacon, hash brown, grilled tomato, baked beans, salad and toast. And then you have every permutation of those ingredients.

A must eat here is the Aussie 2-way Waffles. This is a savory and sweet waffle (actually more savory than sweet). I was under the impression that the ingredients listed were going to accompany the waffle. However, the cheese, caramelized onion and bacon are all mixed into the waffle batter and cooked together! On the side, there were the sauteed granny smith apples which was crunchy and tangy, and also a rather juicy herb sausage.

Now this is what i call a waffle stack. I was initially intimidated by the tower but it was delightfully light with crisp edges. The server suggested that i add an egg into the waffles a la plaster prata style, so some parts turned out more egg crisp than waffle. Think of it like a plaster prata. The batter is on the thin side though so the waffle purists may not take this too well (i thought the flavors were amazing though). Rokeby do serve the regular ones too but i'm not sure how thick they would be. The maple syrup could be thicker but i'll brush it off as the added apple puree made up for the lack in texture.

Nettie had the Eggs Blackstone, which is essentially an Egg Benedict with bacon in it. She wasn't too impressed with the dish. If it weren't for the extra bacon, she would certainly have given this dish a miss. The vinaigrette that dressed the salad took her attention from the hollandaise sauce, which lacked in flavor.