Review for Rokeby

Australian
Address: 15-9 Jalan Riang, 358972

13 May 2014
Overall

good food, almost no service and hot environment

It's a public holiday today so i expected the place to be very crowded. Thank God for the reservation function from Hungrygowhere, we managed to get a table. We ordered Prawn rissoto, fish and chips and sausage waffle. We enjoyed the food really. I love my rissoto and the texture of the fluffy waffle. fish & chip is fresh and thick. Just that the place js really noisy and warm. Please if the management read this, I plead u to do something to the air con!! overall I was satisfied with the meal, i like the location and estate around the cafe.
Prawn Risotto, Waffles

More reviews of Rokeby

A great cafe place

A little quaint cafe place in the middle of the Wolskel rd estate, this cafe is perfect for a coffee with friends. We had coffee there and the price was reasonable. not too crowded too.
Overall

Good cafe with smelly toilets

Second visit here and all's good with the food, but once I hit the back area to wash my hands, I almost gagged at the stench... Please do something about it. It's a great pity that you guys try hard on offering good food but not good sanitary practice.
Management response from Rokeby, published 19 Oct 2015
Dear Customer, Thanks for your feedback on this matter. We will look into this matter immediately and rectify it. We apologise for your unpleasant experience. Hope to serve you soon again! Rokeby Management

TWO Thumbs DOWN!

Today was my second visit to Rokeby. I was quite impressed with the food during my first visit but was utterly disappointed today with EVERYTHING I ordered (which actually are their specialities). I ordered a Rib-Eye steak (medium) but literally spat out my first bite of it. The steak was tasteless, rubbery and so tough - just YUCKS! To describe it simply, it must have been a frozen piece of steak that was cooked UN-THAWED. Not forgetting that the steak here IS NOT CHEAP! I was then offered to swap my steak for something else on the menu and I chose the burger which is again a speciality of the restaurant. Needless to say, it was disappointing yet again. The ground beef that they used to make the patty was just salty and not pleasant smelling. I'm at a loss of words to describe the taste of it (because there is none in the first place) but just distasteful.

Interesting Waffles

For more reviews, visit www.ms-skinnyfat.com

The Serangoon folks are probably gonna kill me with this post on their not too hidden brunch spot but there was something that i tried which was too yums not to share. Here's Rokeby, just a couple shops down from 2 other popular spots Cajun Kings and Wimbly Lu. Sharing is caring you know?

I thought that it wasn't necessary to make a reservation on a Saturday afternoon (honestly what was i thinking) and it turned out to be really crowded! Thankfully we got a table (indoors no less) in a short bit. Thank you my lucky stars!

There aren't many options for brunch actually and they could be generally classified into 3 categories, Eggs Ben, Waffles and 'Everything Else' (eggs, sausages, toast etc.). An example that falls under the 'Everything Else' category would be the Full Monty Brekkie ($17.90) and it comes with 2 eggs served with 2 bratwurst sausages, bacon, hash brown, grilled tomato, baked beans, salad and toast. And then you have every permutation of those ingredients.

A must eat here is the Aussie 2-way Waffles. This is a savory and sweet waffle (actually more savory than sweet). I was under the impression that the ingredients listed were going to accompany the waffle. However, the cheese, caramelized onion and bacon are all mixed into the waffle batter and cooked together! On the side, there were the sauteed granny smith apples which was crunchy and tangy, and also a rather juicy herb sausage.

Now this is what i call a waffle stack. I was initially intimidated by the tower but it was delightfully light with crisp edges. The server suggested that i add an egg into the waffles a la plaster prata style, so some parts turned out more egg crisp than waffle. Think of it like a plaster prata. The batter is on the thin side though so the waffle purists may not take this too well (i thought the flavors were amazing though). Rokeby do serve the regular ones too but i'm not sure how thick they would be. The maple syrup could be thicker but i'll brush it off as the added apple puree made up for the lack in texture.

Nettie had the Eggs Blackstone, which is essentially an Egg Benedict with bacon in it. She wasn't too impressed with the dish. If it weren't for the extra bacon, she would certainly have given this dish a miss. The vinaigrette that dressed the salad took her attention from the hollandaise sauce, which lacked in flavor.

Rokeby's rocked my boat

It was time for lunch with *Sidney again, and we discovered this neat Australian bistro cafe named Rokeby by chance.  So we succumbed to the warm hospitality and serene ambience of this laid-back cafe set in an austerely pretty area near Serangoon. The dim and polished interior made it perfect as a cafe by daya and bar by night. Everything looked good on the menu so we didn't know what to order for a while.

I started with a Soy Mocha (SGD$6.70) - the coffee was nutty, with hints of creaminess. The soy milk in this case didn't rise above the flavor of the chocolately coffee to bring out a fragrance of its own, like the soy mocha I had at some other cafes. It tasted more like a good cup of strong-flavored Mocha with a slight dash of milk - the bear art on my beverage was very adorable though.

For mains, I ordered the Braised Ox Cheek Stew (SGD$20.90), being in the mood for beef cheeks, just nice. The beef cheek was stewed to a soft tenderness, retaining its bouncy texture against the rich juicy broth it was cast in. As it quivered in my mouth, I savoured the delicacy with satisfaction, and even pouring spoonfuls of the sauce over my otherwise-bland mashed potato.

*Sidney happened to choose another item that I was debating between - the Rokeby Chilli Mussels (SGD19.90) - it was awesome that they had different levels of spiciness for us to choose from, so we chose the mild (being a weekday and we had to continue working, so couldn't risk stomach upsets). The musels were pliable in its chewyness, the natural sweetness of mussels succint amongst the spicy coat of the broth. It was definitely a good choice - with or without the crispy toast slices it was served with.

For full review and more photographs, please feel free to visit: