Back to Ronin17 Hong Kong Street

French Toast3 votes

SGRudeBoy
 • 13 Jul 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
I am inclined to begin this review with the proviso that I have become increasinglyoverpriced brunch joints in a flooded Singapore market.  Without trying to unfairly single out Ronin, as a loud group of 14 barged into the establishment at 1pm on a Sunday it became apparent that any hidden cool factor has long gone.  After an abrupt request from the waiter (followed by a later apology), we were swiftly reshuffled to a communal table with the consequent disruption to our experience.  It is not as if the food was terrible; it was actually ok but what is striking is the lack of any inspiration or differentiating factor in the menu. French toast, eggs and a small selection of sandwiches; surely whoever did the interior design has more imagination? The coffee, on the other hand, was luke warm and milky - and nowhere near hit the mark.  Will I be back?  I don't think so - Ronin fell short on all counts.

SCS C
 • 23 Jun 2014 229 reviews 1 follower
hotos and more: http://andmorefood.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/ronin-clarke-quay/

the cool, grown-up hipsteresque ronin is hidden away in a small street near clarke quay – it has the same architectural elements as symmetry, but take away the bright sunshine, take away the perky waitstaff; and add quite a bit of shadows and dark colours, plus older, intimidatingly-cool hipsters, and you have it.

it’s gorgeous, of course, but that’s requisite for cafes these days. more importantly, it’s not so noisy you can’t hear your friends across the table, the food is decent and complements its environs, and it helps you appreciate being adult enough to appreciate someplace quiet (but slightly buzzy) to sit down.

I just wish the place had better ventilation though – I’m also adult enough to mind terribly the smell of food lingering.

Must tries: Salted caramel brownie

Ala Carte, Brunch, Chillout, Hidden Find, People Watching, Relaxed, Take Away, Vibrant/Noisy
  • coffee and granola
  • coffee and granola

ArcticStar
 • 18 Jun 2014 214 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Ronin Cafe comes from the same people who gave us The Bravery and The Plain - all of them having the same "hidden doors" concept and "dare-to-unwind" ambience.

My Iced Wicked - aka mint mocha (SGD$7.50) was served first - a delicious concoction of my favorites - coffee, chocolate and mint.  It was a refreshing drink - chilled and the hint of cool mint was a welcome anytime.

The highlight was  my food - the Brioche French Toast with braised apple, bacon, hazelnut butter and syrup (SGD$14.50). The thick slices of French toast were respledent of the buttery flavor, and I loved the soft-sweetness, having been draped in mouth-watering syrup.  The bacon slices were dry and crispy - exactly the way I loved them. The braised apple was soft and sweet, and the hazelnut butter added a touch of delight to my bread. It was yummy.

Now, *Katherine's Scrambled Eggs on Toast add Pork Sausage (SGD$13.50) may look deceptively simple, but the toast slices were crispy. The scrambled eggs were scattered with a coat of black pepper, adding a touch of spiciness to its smooth wholesomeness. The pork sausage was a surprise - it was chewy in a fresh way, and it was delicious without the "fake meat" flavor most sausages sport.

For more detailed information and photos, please feel free to visit:

Must tries: French Toast, Scrambled eggs with toast, Ice Wicked