Back to Ronin17 Hong Kong Street

Scrambled eggs with toast3 votes

whaleliciousfay
 • 14 Aug 2014 110 reviews 5 followers
Overall
RONIN has been on my list of to-check-out cafes for a while now. But I kinda forgot about them until I recently pinned all the possible cafes that I know of onto my google map. And it’s with my newly created map that I realised RONIN is located just beside Clarke Quay MRT. A road away, to be exact. How convenient!

And it being just one MRT stop away from my yoga sanctuary, I decided to drop by just before my yoga class!

In fact, I have visited RONIN 3 times since my first visit. My returned trips were mainly to check out the other items from their menu.

“Are you here for coffee or for food as well?”

I realized they never fail to ask that opening question. Reply them with “food” and they will start to share what’s offered although they since have gotten themselves a physical menu in the form of a big board placed on top of a cupboard (Oh yes, older reviews by other food bloggers had it that RONIN do not have a menu previously).

And from the menu, we ordered:-

1) Scone, $4.50 – This was ordered because it was either sold out or not baked for the day during my earlier visits. And I must say I really like the scone with its little surprises (within) of fig pieces! So good.

2) Dirty RONIN, $13 – Chorizo, gruyere, soft egg, miso mayo, lettuce. There are 5 choices for their sandwiches. But I chose to go with this, upon the staff’s recommendation. Panini toasted to crispy perfection while maintaining its fluffiness within. I like how the eggs were done. Hard boiled with ramen-egg-like yolk. And the serving was huge! I ended up eating 2, and packing the other 2.

3) Scrambled eggs on toast, $9 (+ $3.50, bacon) – Other choices of add-on include sausage (pork or lamb) at $4.50, portobello mushroom at $3.50 and avocado at $3. And I must say, the scrambled eggs was the highlight! It’s creamy and silky. And its exterior texture is… Smooth? I am curious how they did it. Yes, amateur cook here! =p The egg went very well with the toasts which were served slathered with lots of butter.

Due to the (silly) 3000 characters limit, continue to read my review on other dishes here: PART2

So yes, although I have been to RONIN thrice now, I wouldn’t rule out ‘not returning’ since I like the vibe of the place. RONIN makes a nice place to chill a little, get a quick bite and a good cup of coffee! In fact, I’m impressed with their service too! During my 3 visits, we were always greeted by happy staff. It could have helped that I came on quieter afternoons where they were able to attend to me/us once I/we entered. And while they were attentive, they left enough room for us to enjoy our own time and space too.

----------

• Close up of scrambled eggs on toast, $9

SGRudeBoy
 • 13 Jul 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
I am inclined to begin this review with the proviso that I have become increasinglyoverpriced brunch joints in a flooded Singapore market.  Without trying to unfairly single out Ronin, as a loud group of 14 barged into the establishment at 1pm on a Sunday it became apparent that any hidden cool factor has long gone.  After an abrupt request from the waiter (followed by a later apology), we were swiftly reshuffled to a communal table with the consequent disruption to our experience.  It is not as if the food was terrible; it was actually ok but what is striking is the lack of any inspiration or differentiating factor in the menu. French toast, eggs and a small selection of sandwiches; surely whoever did the interior design has more imagination? The coffee, on the other hand, was luke warm and milky - and nowhere near hit the mark.  Will I be back?  I don't think so - Ronin fell short on all counts.

SCS C
 • 23 Jun 2014 236 reviews 1 follower
hotos and more: http://andmorefood.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/ronin-clarke-quay/

the cool, grown-up hipsteresque ronin is hidden away in a small street near clarke quay – it has the same architectural elements as symmetry, but take away the bright sunshine, take away the perky waitstaff; and add quite a bit of shadows and dark colours, plus older, intimidatingly-cool hipsters, and you have it.

it’s gorgeous, of course, but that’s requisite for cafes these days. more importantly, it’s not so noisy you can’t hear your friends across the table, the food is decent and complements its environs, and it helps you appreciate being adult enough to appreciate someplace quiet (but slightly buzzy) to sit down.

I just wish the place had better ventilation though – I’m also adult enough to mind terribly the smell of food lingering.

Must tries: Salted caramel brownie

Ala Carte, Brunch, Chillout, Hidden Find, People Watching, Relaxed, Take Away, Vibrant/Noisy
  • coffee and granola