Review for Ronin

Western
Address: 17 Hong Kong Street, 059660
13 Jan 2014

Best Scrambled Eggs in town

For full review and pics, do visit http://therantingpanda.com/2014/01/13/food-review-ronin/

The most hip factor of Ronin is that it has no menu! But fret not, that does not mean there is no food here but we have to ask the staff what is available on the day.

It was a no brainer for me to choose the Scrambled Eggs set with Portobello Mushrooms and bacon ($12) as I love eggs. And this must have been one of the most awesome scrambled eggs I have had in any café in Singapore. The runny eggs is a perfect spread on the toast, and the killer recipe is definitely the optimal tinge of buttery taste in the eggs which seals its verdict as the best in my opinion. This is easily one of the best brunch I tried the past one year.

More reviews of Ronin

Overall

One of my favourite hang outs

For the full post and pictures visit toseetofeeltoeat

Matchatone. Steamed milk with thick matcha syrup. Not too fond of this as I was too lazy to scrap the sides of the cup for the matcha syrup. I kind of prefer the types of matcha drink where the matcha is already evenly blended or mixed into the steamed milk. Ok I sound incredibly lazy oops.

A cup of flat white with my friends from office! I love the coffee at Ronin, aromatic, fragrant and low in acidity. Coffee which is acidic is bad for my stomach (I get the runs) so I am always excited to find good coffee which is low in acidity. Ronin fits the bill!

The Dirty Ronin Sandwich was yummy with crispy bread, salty chorizo, runny eggs and cheese. Everything melted together super well and burst with flavours when you bit into it. Perfect sandwich for a light lunch.

Attitude

I go to this place 3x/week or so.  Today I had $4.15 in exact change for a $4.20 cup of coffee.  I asked the cashier if it was ok that I give her the $4.15 since I only had a $10/bill otherwise.  She asks the manager lady whose response is total shock and says "why would I do that"  to which I said "coz i'm here several times a week"  she says "why should the 5 cents come out of my wallet??"

So now I'll get my next 10 cups of coffee somewhere else. That's $42 in lost sales b/c of c*** customer service.  Did she have an obligation to comp me the 5 cents, no.   Was it the right business decision? Guess not.

Btw they have no problem putting out a tip jar to solicit tips from customers.  Who the f tips in SG anyway?
Overall

These guys make a tortoise look quick

The scrambled eggs are amazing. But unfortunately, it only goes down hill from there on...

The service is utterly shambolic; so much so, they don't know what you have ordered when you come to pay. You get a free coffee as a result of them not actually knowing. How this place makes money I do not know. 5 staff members to serve less than 30 customers.

Would you like to have your meal in 3 different stages? It takes 45mins to deliver 4 simple items (their menu is small).

Remember to bring your own condiments such as sauce as these are not provided.

The seating is uncomfortable but there is a nice ambiance. Avoid if you are in a rush or a group larger than 2 persons but if you like good scrambled eggs and can wait for 45mins, this is the place to go!
Overall

Ingenious little hangout and coffee is Super

The name of this place, isn't the only thing cool about this place.
Its a very clever little place for coffee, food and a good conversation.

Food/Drink: Coffee was excellent. The special that day was a mint mocha. We were only there for arvo coffee and brownie.
Value: Well priced
Ambience: dark industrial interiors, mysterious yet an absolute good hangout with friends for a good chatter.
Service: Staff were polite and on the ball

GREAT FOOD

our table got all of its speciality - dirty ronin, scrambled eggs, French toast, wicked, matcha toning. I personality had their matcha toning and French toast and boy oh boy was it amazing. I tried all and thought that the French toast was the best of all. Service was rather good too! We were served immediately and the staff took the initiative to approach us to take our orders :-) went there on Sunday at around 6 and there weren't too many people - many were just chilling out! Ambience was great and I would totally go back just to hang out! Only downside was that seats were generally in 2s or in large groups so privacy may be compromised!