Review for Ronin

Western
Address: 17 Hong Kong Street, 059660
22 Feb 2014
Overall

The cafe with no signboard and menu

For full review, please visit http://www.makeyourcaloriescount.com/2014/02/sg-ronin-cafe-with-no-signboard-and-menu.html

Ever since I moved to Singapore from Hong Kong early this year, I have been missing bits and pieces of Hong Kong. A friend who I've known for more than a decade visited me recently and since she had visited all the tourist-worthy places of Singapore, we decided to settle for a cafe that has no signboard, no food and drink menus, no website and no telephone number located along the Hongkong Street and started our never ending conversations.   The same folks behind The Plain and The Bravery, opened their third cafe "Ronin" in Singapore and the name actually refers to a samurai with no lord or master. When we walked in we were ushered by a friendly staff to our table. The rather dark and mysterious atmosphere led me to ask the staff, "What is the name of this place?", just to make sure that I am at the right place.

After we sat down, the same friendly staff came to take our orders. Our natural reaction was to request for the drinks menu but he replied that they don't have a drink menu and he started listing the various drinks they serve. Personally, I find that it is quite a tedious affair for customers to carefully listen and spot what we want through his long sentence. We ended up ordering a cup of flat white and green tea.

After taking our drink orders, I further asked for a food menu. Again, he claimed that they don't have a food menu and began mumbling his long list, this time it's a lot harder as the list contained a lot more ingredients and it's just like playing a memorising game. At last, my friend was quite impatient and decided on the first one he mentioned which was all-day-breakfast. Not criticising on his service nor not having a cafe menu, but rather it would be more appreciated if they can inform us beforehand that they don't have food and drink menus.

All-day breakfast - S$9/-
The moment when the dish was served, I was quite surprised with the variety of food that was on the plate. While I should be seeing some mushrooms, sausages, tomatoes, etc that an all-day breakfast should contain, I only saw scrambled eggs and three different slices of bread that were made with different ingredients. Surprisingly, the toasted bread went perfectly well with the half-cooked silky soft creamy scrambled eggs especially when you consume them together. I must say they looked very simple but everything was done correctly. However, does the price of $9 do justice on the quality and quantity of food?

Flat White - $4.20/-
I was amazed by the beautiful latte art that was served in front of me. Ronin brews the same Genovese coffee blend as the other two cafes and I particularly loved the full bodied brew with balanced acidity and bitterness in the coffee which were neutralised by the velvety milk.

Green Tea - $5/-
I didn't get to try the green tea, but my friend said it tasted like normal tea.

More reviews of Ronin

Overall

One of my favourite hang outs

For the full post and pictures visit toseetofeeltoeat

Matchatone. Steamed milk with thick matcha syrup. Not too fond of this as I was too lazy to scrap the sides of the cup for the matcha syrup. I kind of prefer the types of matcha drink where the matcha is already evenly blended or mixed into the steamed milk. Ok I sound incredibly lazy oops.

A cup of flat white with my friends from office! I love the coffee at Ronin, aromatic, fragrant and low in acidity. Coffee which is acidic is bad for my stomach (I get the runs) so I am always excited to find good coffee which is low in acidity. Ronin fits the bill!

The Dirty Ronin Sandwich was yummy with crispy bread, salty chorizo, runny eggs and cheese. Everything melted together super well and burst with flavours when you bit into it. Perfect sandwich for a light lunch.

Attitude

I go to this place 3x/week or so.  Today I had $4.15 in exact change for a $4.20 cup of coffee.  I asked the cashier if it was ok that I give her the $4.15 since I only had a $10/bill otherwise.  She asks the manager lady whose response is total shock and says "why would I do that"  to which I said "coz i'm here several times a week"  she says "why should the 5 cents come out of my wallet??"

So now I'll get my next 10 cups of coffee somewhere else. That's $42 in lost sales b/c of c*** customer service.  Did she have an obligation to comp me the 5 cents, no.   Was it the right business decision? Guess not.

Btw they have no problem putting out a tip jar to solicit tips from customers.  Who the f tips in SG anyway?
Overall

These guys make a tortoise look quick

The scrambled eggs are amazing. But unfortunately, it only goes down hill from there on...

The service is utterly shambolic; so much so, they don't know what you have ordered when you come to pay. You get a free coffee as a result of them not actually knowing. How this place makes money I do not know. 5 staff members to serve less than 30 customers.

Would you like to have your meal in 3 different stages? It takes 45mins to deliver 4 simple items (their menu is small).

Remember to bring your own condiments such as sauce as these are not provided.

The seating is uncomfortable but there is a nice ambiance. Avoid if you are in a rush or a group larger than 2 persons but if you like good scrambled eggs and can wait for 45mins, this is the place to go!
Overall

Ingenious little hangout and coffee is Super

The name of this place, isn't the only thing cool about this place.
Its a very clever little place for coffee, food and a good conversation.

Food/Drink: Coffee was excellent. The special that day was a mint mocha. We were only there for arvo coffee and brownie.
Value: Well priced
Ambience: dark industrial interiors, mysterious yet an absolute good hangout with friends for a good chatter.
Service: Staff were polite and on the ball

GREAT FOOD

our table got all of its speciality - dirty ronin, scrambled eggs, French toast, wicked, matcha toning. I personality had their matcha toning and French toast and boy oh boy was it amazing. I tried all and thought that the French toast was the best of all. Service was rather good too! We were served immediately and the staff took the initiative to approach us to take our orders :-) went there on Sunday at around 6 and there weren't too many people - many were just chilling out! Ambience was great and I would totally go back just to hang out! Only downside was that seats were generally in 2s or in large groups so privacy may be compromised!