Summary

Summertime Carrot Cake, Choc-a-lot Cake, Chocolate banana mascarpone cheesecake, carrot cake, Cheery Cupcakes, choc-a lot n red velvet cake, red velvet cake View all
Take Away, Hidden Find, High Tea, Romance/First Dates View all

Best carrot cake ever!

Over the past few months I tried all desserts from Room for dessert.

I love their carrot cake- so rich, full of raisins and nuts! My second best choice is Chocolate banana mascarpone cheesecake- I love the thick layer of chocolate ganache on top, when eaten cool chocolate is crunchy and then melts in my mouth, a true taste buds paradise!

At shop they also sell some cool postcards, toys and stuff. Service is so friendly and positive, creating a warm experience.

Will get myself a carrot cake for Easter, yummy yummy :*

Most helpful reviews for Room For Dessert

Excellent service, delightful Carrot Cake!

I've been wanting to try their Summertime Carrot Cake for quite some since it was constantly rated as one of the best Carrot Cakes in Singapore. When I first arrived at the shop, I was initially disappointed because I thought the Carrot Cake was sold out! The entire tray at the display counter was empty! Luckily the staff told me there was more in the kitchen. I guess they need to replenish their cakes faster.

For $3.90 a slice, I finally got to try it and I was impressed. The Summertime Carrot Cake was moist with added crunch from the walnuts and raisins inside. I also liked the sliced walnuts at the exterior. There was a slight cinnamon aftertaste after each bite, which was divine. I liked that it wasn't too strong. The cream cheese frosting was also good and smooth at room temperature.

To add on, I really like that the slice of cake wasn't too large (like those served in Coffee Bean or most other cake shops) so the serving size was just right for me and I didn't feel like I was forcing myself to eat. Every bite was pure enjoyment. Given the size per slice, I guess that also explains why the price for a slice of cake here is generally lower than elsewhere. Affordable and value-for-money! Overall, well done.

What left me the deepest impression though, was the personable and warm service by the lady at the counter. She had a very warm smile which made me feel extremely welcome. Kudos! 5 stars for the service!

As for ambience, it's actually a very small shop and there's only a mini sitting area near the entrance which can accomodate 3 people at most. For those purchasing just a few slices (or a slice) of cake, it's thus recommended that you takeaway. There's many cute, small little figurines at the counter which got my attention and kept me busy while waiting for my cakes to be packed for takeaway!

Will try the Red Velvet Cake the next time.

Cakes are worth the trek!

Even if you’re not a fan of cakes (which I wasn’t before), you should give the cakes at Room for Desserts a try! Their Summertime Carrot Cakes are addictive – always fresh, moist yet light with generous amounts of walnuts and raisins. I usually skip frosting on other cakes but I could easily just eat the cream cheese frosting on its own. By tubfuls. Many of their other cakes (e.g., Chocolate Banana Cheesecake, Green Tea Tiramisu) are equally delicious (the only one which I’m not too hot on is the Red Velvet cake - still don’t ‘get’ the Red Velvet craze)

My only grievance with RFD is the fact that the cakes are only available in the shop itself! I usually order the cakes (via email) to bring to gatherings and self collect them. They’ve recently moved from Waterloo to a location near City Square Mall (on Somme Road)… the new location took me a while to find but I eventually found it. Fortunately, my favorite mouth-watering cakes are still there and are as yummy as ever J

Cakes are worth the trek!

My only grievance with RFD is the fact that the cakes are only available in the shop itself! I usually order the cakes (via email) to bring to gatherings and collect them at the shop. They’ve recently moved from Waterloo to a location near City Square Mall (on Somme Road)… the new location took me a while to find but I eventually found it. Fortunately, my favorite mouth-watering cakes are still there and remain as delicious as ever J

Overrated, unlikely to go back

Food/Drink 2| Value 3| Service 4

For full review and pictures, do check out http://makeyourcaloriescount.blogspot.sg/2012/08/sg-room-for-dessert.html

Known for their red velvet cake as well as having one of the best carrot cakes in Singapore (acclaimed by some), it is no surprise that they run out of both rather quickly. After making the 4th trip down, I finally got my piece of red velvet cake, (it's either closed, or sold out every time I go) and of course, with high expectations tagged to it given that I've made so many trips down!

As usual, the carrot cake was sold out but I'm not a fan of carrot cakes either, so I ended up getting its red velvet and key lime pie.

Key Lime Pie

A refreshing twist to the usual sweet desserts, this is good for a little change to your taste buds. The lime was only moderately sour, so fear not if you'd usually cringe at sour plums or raw lime. It's more of the sweetened lime juice you get from most hawkers, made into the curd form. It was very soft and melted in our mouths almost immediately. Surprisingly good I would say. The tart, however, was a tad disappointing as it wasn't crispy enough to give that extra texture to the soft curd, and neither was it the buttery kind that melts in your mouth. It fell apart easily and didn't gel well with the lime curd. The meringue on top wasn't good either. It wasn't whisked till light and fluffy and ended up tasting like sweetened whipped cream.

Verdict: 6.5/10

Red Velvet Cake

According to the owner (or so I thought since she's the only one I see there all the time), this is meant to be served at room temperature. So if you're buying it for takeaway and refrigerate it for later consumption, do remember to leave it out at least 30minutes prior to serving.

For fans of red velvet cake, I would say, this was the most disappointing piece I've ever tried! I thought it was because I had high expectations but after tasting, we all agreed that it was bad, even without knowing how red velvet is supposed to be like. To put it simply, this tasted like a slice of cheapo birthday sponge cake that you buy off the shelves in neighbourhood bakery stores. I'm not trying to be overly critical, but this simply isn't a fair impression for first-timers of red velvet. Feeling indignant, this was simply doing injustice to the simple yet indulgent dessert.

It wasn't moist enough and didn't have enough cocoa taste to it. The only redeeming factor is perhaps the cream cheese frosting but this time round, it didn't exactly lift the taste of it as it was just a combination of very sweet cake and frosting.

Verdict: 3.0/10

Honestly, I wasn't impressed at all with the quality of desserts, nor the taste of it. Its affordable prices and location in a central yet neighbourhood precinct was attractive to me, giving it a cosy and family-styled feel, but I felt that it had missed out the most important element of any food establishments - its taste. To me, taste should never be compromised for prices. Despite all the rave and good reviews I've heard and read, it isn't a place that I would recommend if you're serious about desserts.

Too high expectations?

Food/Drink 3| Value 3| Service 4

I have heard about the carrot cake here being rated the best in Singapore by The Straits Times. Also, I have chanced upon many positive reviews about it. Perhaps, these have caused my expectations to be too high and I didnt think it was THAT good.

I find the cake a bit too soft for my liking. But I do like the coating and the almond flakes. At $3.70 per slice for that size, I thought it was reasonable.

Personally, I prefer Cedele's one.