Royal China at Raffles (皇朝莱佛士)

Summary

dim sum, har gao, custard bun, Barbeque pork puff, lobster noodle, Char Siew Bao, cheong fun, crispy aromatic duck, egg tarts, Peking Duck, Steamed Bun with Fresh Mango and Salted Egg Yolk, Steamed Scallop Dumpling, Crispy Taro Roll with Scallo, Deep Fried Beancurd Roll, Set Lunch, Steamed Chicken Claws in Spicy Sauce, XO fried carrot cake, bamboo clams, chilled pureed pumpkin with coconut ice cream, siew mai, Char Siew Shu, Crispy duck roll, Double-boiled Quail Soup, Long Har Mee, Mango Pudding, Prawn with scallop and egg white, Scallops cheong fun, String Bean Crystal Dumpling in Chilli Oil, char siew, cheung fun with prawns and chives, chrysanthemum jelly, crabmeat ee-fu noodles, crispy seafood noodles, deep-fried Soon Hock, orh nee, peking duck with caviar, prawn vermicelli, red bean pancake, scallop dumplings, soft shell crab, soups, steamed pork rib, yang zhi gan lu View all
Lunch, Children/Family, Quiet, Dinner, Large Groups/Gathering, Brunch, Business Dining, Fine Dining, Private Dining, High Tea, After Work, Ala Carte, Breakfast, Corporate Events, Vibrant/Noisy, Chillout, People Watching, Business Breakfast, Girls Night Out, Hidden Find, Romance/First Dates View all

Worth a try

For pictures and full review (can't fit the whole review here), pls visit:

To bid my cousin farewell prior to his 2-year study stint in France and Italy, I took him to lunch at the high-raved Royal China located at the prestigious Raffles Hotel. This is a popular restaurant; advance reservations must be made to secure a table.

My first impression on the service was, well, not good. No greeting whatsoever upon entering, not even a nod of acknowledgement.

Surprisingly enough, Royal China originates from London, which may explain the exquisite modern décor. Tiffany blue hues, pristine white dining furniture, tablecloths and china set the tone of sophisticated refinement.

The aunty waitress who took our order was friendly, brownie point for that. However, it was difficult to catch anyone’s attention when we needed our teapot refilled and we wanted to order more items later on.

Bite-sized Baked Egg Tart ($4.80) was very ordinary. Ever since I tried Yan Ting’s egg tart, I have never came across any that can match up to theirs.

Steamed Prawn Dumpling ($5.60). Fresh, flavorsome and crunchy prawns encased in smooth skin.  Its simplicity at its finest. Mention-worthy were the size of the pawns, I had to take a few bites to finish a single dumpling.

I never pass the chance to order my favorite Liu Sa Bao/ Salted Egg Yolk Bun($4.80). Although Royal China’s rendition includes fresh mango juice (I dislike mango), it didn’t deter me from getting a basket. Molten, flowy golden liquid check! Pillowy buns check! However, this mixture of sweet and savory custard wasn’t my cup of tea.

Baked BBQ Pork Puff ($4.80) was another hit. Nibble the buttery, flaky pastry to reveal generous filling of lean pork meat. We like that the BBQ sauce was not overly sweet.

Other popular classics we had were Steamed Pork Dumpling with Wolfberry($5.60) and Pan-fried Bean curd roll stuffed with minced prawn ($5.60). Both were average.

I’d stop short of recommending the Wok-fried Cheung fun with homemade XO sauce ($8.80).  It didn’t look anything like the photo in the menu which enticed us to order it, and lacked the robust flavor one would expect from XO sauce. Taste Paradise’s rendition is wayyyy better.

Century egg and lean pork congee ($6.80). Don’t you just love congee with chuck of century egg in them?

I love taro and I love scallops, so ordering Deep-fried yam puff with Scallop in Portuguese Sauce ($5.60) was a no brainer. While the morsels were a tad oily, the smooth yam, crispy crust and unique Portuguese sauce made up for it. Wished the scallops were thicker though, but then again, for the price, I consider it a good deal.

Most helpful reviews for Royal China at Raffles

Horrendous service

I'm sitting here in this restaurant, the food is not here yet and I'm hopping mad and quite ready to walk out. The service is terrible. The staff has got no eye contact and ignores customers. When we requested for more chilli sauce, and other condiments, the staff staff walked away without a word halfway not any acknowledgement while my mother was speaking. He came back with the chilli. The mustard wasn't there. We asked the same waiter for the other condiments and he had the gall to say - 你可以一次过说完吗? couldn't you have told me altogether? THAT WAS UNACCEPTABLE. . I will never come back here again and now that the food has arrived, we are all too angry. The food is ok, but there are a lot more establishments with better service and food. No way Roya China is going ever going to earn a single cent from me. I've seen hawkers with better service. me

One of best Cantonese, too bad about the culture of contempt for customers

Unusual dishes (crispy sea perch, charcoal rice with Kurobota pork), some requiring advance orders (Buddha Jump Over Great Wall, seafood consommé served in pumpkin). But the receptionists are quite snooty, and many of the serving staff are rude and brusque. Unbecoming for a restaurant of this caliber. At the high-end Imperial Treasures, ALL of them are ALWAYS nice.

Good food but service can be improved

Food: dishes were nice with v fresh ingredients. However, fish and compoy congee was a tad salty with only a few slices of fish. The scallop with yam is yummy but quite oily. Waiting time was acceptable too prob cos its weekday lunch. Service: Staff displayed impatience when taking orders. When we tried to get the attention of the staff to refill water for the tea, they merely glanced at us without acknowledging us. There was no attempt to try to get their colleague to help with our request even if they were preoccupied. On the whole, may return for the food but with the service, not anytime soon.

Bad service from GM of restaurant

I went to Royal China last Saturday for a dim sum lunch bringing two overseas guests. I have never had such a rude experience especially coming from a General Manager of a reputable restaurant like Royal China.

Upon entering the restaurant we were greeted without a smile and upon payment, he made very rude remarks to me and my husband in front of our overseas guests in a loud tone. It is so rude that it is not worth mentioning publicly.

Having held our wedding dinner at this restaurant, we always enjoyed coming back to this place. But the recent experience with the GM has disappointed us tremendously. It is time to find a new place for dim sum lunch. Nothing spoils your day more than rude service staff.

Bad service

Went for lunch and received very bad service from the staff. It was very obvious that all the staff were trying to push the job to one another, we didn't get served promptly. We expected better service