Review for Royal China at Raffles (皇朝莱佛士)

3.5

AsianCantoneseChineseDim SumSeafood
Address: Raffles Hotel Arcade, 1 Beach Road, 189673
25 Jun 2014

Worth a try

For pictures and full review (can't fit the whole review here), pls visit:

To bid my cousin farewell prior to his 2-year study stint in France and Italy, I took him to lunch at the high-raved Royal China located at the prestigious Raffles Hotel. This is a popular restaurant; advance reservations must be made to secure a table.

My first impression on the service was, well, not good. No greeting whatsoever upon entering, not even a nod of acknowledgement.

Surprisingly enough, Royal China originates from London, which may explain the exquisite modern décor. Tiffany blue hues, pristine white dining furniture, tablecloths and china set the tone of sophisticated refinement.

The aunty waitress who took our order was friendly, brownie point for that. However, it was difficult to catch anyone’s attention when we needed our teapot refilled and we wanted to order more items later on.

Bite-sized Baked Egg Tart ($4.80) was very ordinary. Ever since I tried Yan Ting’s egg tart, I have never came across any that can match up to theirs.

Steamed Prawn Dumpling ($5.60). Fresh, flavorsome and crunchy prawns encased in smooth skin.  Its simplicity at its finest. Mention-worthy were the size of the pawns, I had to take a few bites to finish a single dumpling.

I never pass the chance to order my favorite Liu Sa Bao/ Salted Egg Yolk Bun($4.80). Although Royal China’s rendition includes fresh mango juice (I dislike mango), it didn’t deter me from getting a basket. Molten, flowy golden liquid check! Pillowy buns check! However, this mixture of sweet and savory custard wasn’t my cup of tea.

Baked BBQ Pork Puff ($4.80) was another hit. Nibble the buttery, flaky pastry to reveal generous filling of lean pork meat. We like that the BBQ sauce was not overly sweet.

Other popular classics we had were Steamed Pork Dumpling with Wolfberry($5.60) and Pan-fried Bean curd roll stuffed with minced prawn ($5.60). Both were average.

I’d stop short of recommending the Wok-fried Cheung fun with homemade XO sauce ($8.80).  It didn’t look anything like the photo in the menu which enticed us to order it, and lacked the robust flavor one would expect from XO sauce. Taste Paradise’s rendition is wayyyy better.

Century egg and lean pork congee ($6.80). Don’t you just love congee with chuck of century egg in them?

I love taro and I love scallops, so ordering Deep-fried yam puff with Scallop in Portuguese Sauce ($5.60) was a no brainer. While the morsels were a tad oily, the smooth yam, crispy crust and unique Portuguese sauce made up for it. Wished the scallops were thicker though, but then again, for the price, I consider it a good deal.

dim sum, har gao, Barbeque pork puff

More reviews of Royal China at Raffles

Chee Cheong Fun!

Royal China is located at level 3, Raffles Hotel. Had went there for their dimsum on Sunday morning. Surprisingly, there were many people waiting in the queue as well. They have a lot of dishes for selection. It is worth the trip down as the dim sum is really good and not that expensive despite locating in a hotel. Must try their XO carrot cake, liu sha bao, chee Cheong fun! Suggest to make booking before going down else you might not get a table.

Horrendous service

I'm sitting here in this restaurant, the food is not here yet and I'm hopping mad and quite ready to walk out. The service is terrible. The staff has got no eye contact and ignores customers. When we requested for more chilli sauce, and other condiments, the staff staff walked away without a word halfway not any acknowledgement while my mother was speaking. He came back with the chilli. The mustard wasn't there. We asked the same waiter for the other condiments and he had the gall to say - 你可以一次过说完吗? couldn't you have told me altogether? THAT WAS UNACCEPTABLE. . I will never come back here again and now that the food has arrived, we are all too angry. The food is ok, but there are a lot more establishments with better service and food. No way Roya China is going ever going to earn a single cent from me. I've seen hawkers with better service. me
Overall

One of best Cantonese, too bad about the culture of contempt for customers

Unusual dishes (crispy sea perch, charcoal rice with Kurobota pork), some requiring advance orders (Buddha Jump Over Great Wall, seafood consommé served in pumpkin). But the receptionists are quite snooty, and many of the serving staff are rude and brusque. Unbecoming for a restaurant of this caliber. At the high-end Imperial Treasures, ALL of them are ALWAYS nice.
Overall

Good food but service can be improved

Food: dishes were nice with v fresh ingredients. However, fish and compoy congee was a tad salty with only a few slices of fish. The scallop with yam is yummy but quite oily. Waiting time was acceptable too prob cos its weekday lunch. Service: Staff displayed impatience when taking orders. When we tried to get the attention of the staff to refill water for the tea, they merely glanced at us without acknowledging us. There was no attempt to try to get their colleague to help with our request even if they were preoccupied. On the whole, may return for the food but with the service, not anytime soon.

Bad service

Went for lunch and received very bad service from the staff. It was very obvious that all the staff were trying to push the job to one another, we didn't get served promptly. We expected better service