Review for Royal China at Raffles (皇朝莱佛士)

3.5

AsianCantoneseChineseDim SumSeafood
Address: Raffles Hotel Arcade, 1 Beach Road, 189673
17 Nov 2013

Really Good Dim Sum!

the quality of the dim sum, the freshness of ingredients and the ambience really impressed me. service crew also very friendly, efficient and will take the initiative to check with the kitchen when they notice that something is taking longer than usual to serve. really top notch restaurant that's still relatively friendly to the wallet (compared to Imperial /Mouth/Tim)
Barbeque pork puff, Crispy Taro Roll with Scallo, XO fried carrot cake, Steamed Bun with Fresh Mango and Salted Egg Yolk

More reviews of Royal China at Raffles

Chee Cheong Fun!

Royal China is located at level 3, Raffles Hotel. Had went there for their dimsum on Sunday morning. Surprisingly, there were many people waiting in the queue as well. They have a lot of dishes for selection. It is worth the trip down as the dim sum is really good and not that expensive despite locating in a hotel. Must try their XO carrot cake, liu sha bao, chee Cheong fun! Suggest to make booking before going down else you might not get a table.

Horrendous service

I'm sitting here in this restaurant, the food is not here yet and I'm hopping mad and quite ready to walk out. The service is terrible. The staff has got no eye contact and ignores customers. When we requested for more chilli sauce, and other condiments, the staff staff walked away without a word halfway not any acknowledgement while my mother was speaking. He came back with the chilli. The mustard wasn't there. We asked the same waiter for the other condiments and he had the gall to say - 你可以一次过说完吗? couldn't you have told me altogether? THAT WAS UNACCEPTABLE. . I will never come back here again and now that the food has arrived, we are all too angry. The food is ok, but there are a lot more establishments with better service and food. No way Roya China is going ever going to earn a single cent from me. I've seen hawkers with better service. me
Overall

One of best Cantonese, too bad about the culture of contempt for customers

Unusual dishes (crispy sea perch, charcoal rice with Kurobota pork), some requiring advance orders (Buddha Jump Over Great Wall, seafood consommé served in pumpkin). But the receptionists are quite snooty, and many of the serving staff are rude and brusque. Unbecoming for a restaurant of this caliber. At the high-end Imperial Treasures, ALL of them are ALWAYS nice.
Overall

Good food but service can be improved

Food: dishes were nice with v fresh ingredients. However, fish and compoy congee was a tad salty with only a few slices of fish. The scallop with yam is yummy but quite oily. Waiting time was acceptable too prob cos its weekday lunch. Service: Staff displayed impatience when taking orders. When we tried to get the attention of the staff to refill water for the tea, they merely glanced at us without acknowledging us. There was no attempt to try to get their colleague to help with our request even if they were preoccupied. On the whole, may return for the food but with the service, not anytime soon.

Bad service

Went for lunch and received very bad service from the staff. It was very obvious that all the staff were trying to push the job to one another, we didn't get served promptly. We expected better service