Review for Sanji Kagoshima Ramen (面家三士)

3.2

AsianJapanese
Address: #01-14, Orchid Hotel, 1 Tras Link, 078867
11 Jul 2013
Overall

Good ramen, value for money, good service

Had a ladies ramen set, portions were just right such that i neither overate nor was hungry after that, and ramen was cooked nicely. Waters were really polite and efficient! And to end the meal off nicely, the price was very reasonable.

More reviews of Sanji Kagoshima Ramen

Dinner

Located at the ground level of the hotel, there was a number of causal Japanese restaurants. One of them was this ramen shop. It had dining in are for both indoor and outdoor. As this outlet had the least queue on a Friday, I decided to dine in here.

Although the outlet was known for its soup base ramen, it also sold cold ramen and dry ramen. The dry ramen caught my attention and I decide to order it to have a try.

DRY ramen TSUYOSHI ($14.90+)
It was served with 3 pieces of Gyoza and chicken soup.
Mix Sanji's chewy noodles with secret soy sauce, fried leek and burnt garlic oil.
Kind of remind one of the hawker centre fishball noodle stall's version of dry yellow noodle. Wish that there was more sauce. A bit too dry. The noodle looked and tasted like yellow noodle. Some may wish to add vinegar or chilli oil to the noodle for additional flavours. There was also spicy pickled vegetables and ground fish powder too. The soup was light and flavourful. As I had order gyoza, I requested for the gyoza to be changed to another side dish, which ended up to be 3 pieces of karrage, commonly known as Japanese style fried chicken. The fried chicken was boneless and quite juicy, although I prefer it to be served with mayonnaise.

Gyoza ($6++)
The five pieces of gyoza were served with soy sauce. There was white vinegar and chilli oil on the counter to help yourself to.

Overall food was not bad. Staffs were quite friendly too.
Overall

To die-for black sesame ramen

Can't get enough of this delectable bowl of goodness. It's extremely flavourful with the right balance of black sesame that's neither too heavy nor too underwhelming.

Overall verdict:
Price: Super value for money. Good portion size.
Broth: Flavourful without overwhelming
Noodles: Not overly starchy.
Bonus: The spicy preserved veg condiments on the side (add a few dollops for an extra punch)
Service: Prompt and polite. Attentive servers who are quick to seat and attend to you.

Must try: Their gyoza!

Perfectly Done Gyoza & Non-Oily Ramen

something worth trying for, be it ramen or gyoza...
 their gyoza truely impress me!! no other shops did gyoza like them, crispy on the side & non-stick together (absolutely perfect)
 the milky soup base definitely attracts me with no signs of oil present.

Good Ramen & Yummy Gyozas

We have been to Sanji about 4 times in 2 weeks. This is a very, very small ramen place that seats about 10 - 12 on the 2-table settings (very squeezy) and about 8 - 10 at the counter seats (again, very squeezy). The ventilation is also not very good so be prepared to come out fumed with ramen smell.

But we love the ramen. The black sesame version is very thick and savory, which husband prefers. I enjoy the lighter tonkatsu version which in the ladies set which I always order, is just the right amount and portion. The ladies set is really value for money as well - being less than $15 with a drink and a side dish. Their crispy gyozas are simply wonderful! It's large and crispy. Their fried chicken is also crispy an yummy. Only flaw to us is that the soup was luke-warm the first time we went. But this was easily rectified when I always inform the waitress to ensure that the kitchen prepares boiling hot bowls for us.

Service was always good and prompt when we were there.

better options around

Popular during lunch, I decided to join the queue for this little hole in the wall.

Unfortunately, the ramen failed to impress. I felt that the tonkotsu broth lacked the creamy after-taste and the char siu, which was fried first, was really tough.  I am not saying that this is a bad option, it is just that there are many good options around the area to pick from so it is a matter of having lots of choices.

It also did not help that the service was rather inefficient, as it took them a long while to take an order, a surprise given that the lunch crowd is probably their cash cow.