Mon: 18:00 - 01:00
Wed - Sun: 18:00 - 01:00
(Closed on alt Fri)
Sek Tong Gai is hearty authentic Cantonese food at its best. Made by veteran Cantonese cooks, this family owned business has been around for more than 20 years. Specialties include Crab Bee Hoon, seafood roll, minced meat and eggplant claypot, and a large variety of dishes.
Very good food in a quaint neighborhood, the pork and shark's fin was great.
just wanted to move our table back by a few inches to allow my friends more space but got into an argument with her
Based on this, I will not be returning no matter how good the food was.
After dinner at home one weekday evening, I was still feeling hungry and I had a craving for some zi char. I popped over to Commonwealth where I knew a Zi Char that closes late, which is Sek Tong Gai. At close to 10pm, there were 3 tables, ranging from 4 to 10 pax having their dinner.
As I waited for my order, I saw their order of crab bee hoon being served, and it whet my appetite more. Must come back another day for that.
I ordered the following to go:
- Har Cheong Kai (Prawn paste chicken): What I like about their chicken is the prawn paste is mild in taste and not strong flavour like most stalls. There’s hardly any batter coating the chicken. They also use the whole chicken for this, so you get breast meat, chicken wings, drum sticks unlike other places who only use chicken wings. The breast meat were nice and tender and not dry at all. Chilli sauce has a unique ginger flavour and mildly spicy, which I finished by the end of my meal. Recommended!
- Bee Hoon with sliced bittergourd and ‘Sang Yu’ (snakehead) fish: My first choice of hor fun is sold out, so I went for Bee Hoon instead. Wanting to eat healthy, I went for sliced bittergourd and ‘Sang Yu’ (snakehead) fish in a black bean sauce. Fish is fresh and firm. The bittergourd complemented the black bean sauce well. Good ‘wok hei’ for the bee hoon. Try it!
A good and satisfying meal for me.
A great restaurant for easy takeaways or dining in, and I have not been disappointed.
I have been recommending this hidden-find restaurant to my friends when they ask me for a new place to dine. They come back to tell me that they love the food here.
I heard from the lady boss that she has some shioment of oysters and I asked her to reserve some for me, and I came by for a meal.
The highlights of my dinner were:
- Steamed Bamboo clams with Fried Garlic and Premium Soy sauce: The bamboo clam is fresh and if you love your shell fish, you wil like this.
- Kai Lan done two ways: I always recommend this dish to my friends, and I always order this when I dine here. Try it.
- Stewed Ee Mian with Fish Slices: The usual Ee Mian is plain. I requested for some fish slices to be added. the fish slices gave the dish a new flavour. But the fresh fish slices addition do not come cheap.
- Baked Cheese Fresh Oyster: Fresh Oysters, topped with cheese and baked. I wished I had the oysters done in different preparation, so that I can have a different taste. But there's always a next time.
- Salted Fish Seafood Bee Hoon: This was the first time I had seafood bee hoon with salted fish and the salted fish sliced gave a nice flavour to the dish and I loved it. Recommended!
I will come to try out their different prepartions for oyster when they have the next shipment, which I hope is soon.