The restaurant has a long history: In Tiong Bahru for over 18 years, Neil Rd (Chinatown) for 7 yrs, 3-yr retirement before opening the restaurant at Tanglin Halt for the past 2 years.Read MoreHide
You can sit inside/ alfresco. Alfresco offers a unique dining style, where you are ‘transported back’ to the 60’s, where you can sit back in your chair, enjoy the evening breeze and savour a meal under the stars.
Here are my meal highlights:
- - Braised Shark’s Fin Soup in Claypot, with Crabmeat: Comes with a side of stir-fried bean sprouts and parsley as add-ons. Black/ Red vinegar are available. Good!
- - Oyster Roll: Filled with dried oyster, salted egg yolks and big fresh prawns… A unique and decadent appetiser!
- - Seafood Spring Roll: Fresh prawns, chestmut, parsley, chilli and cuttlefish paste come together to make this one of my favourite dishes for the evening. Must-order!
- - Alaskan Crab: The crab leg shells were thoughtfully cut along the sides so we can get to the meat easily. We had it done two ways:
- Mushroom Sauce: Cream base with sliced mushrooms. Loved this. A unique creation and I don’t find this anywhere!
- Salted Egg Yolk (SEY): Open up the crab legs and put a piece in your mouth. when you slide the shell out, use upper teeth to slide meat out, and your tongue will have the SEY below, when the crab meat and SEY combine, you get a special taste and texture!
The crab was meaty, sweet and delicious. You can ask for half or even a quarter Alaskan crab if you have a smaller group. Must-try!
- - Kailan done two ways: Poached – Kailan was poached and laid on a plate, with sauce made from premium Japanese Soy Sauce. Topped with Deep Fried chopped-up kalian leaves, and garnished with a special mix of silver fish, shallots and shredded octopus. Unique & Highly recommended!
- - Black Pepper Lean Pork: Tender and delicious. Not peppery at all. Yummy!
- - Deep-fried ‘Live’ Soon Hock in Claypot: A special dish that I will order again. Good to pre-order. The ‘live’ fish was deep-fried and placed in a claypot, topped with a sauce made of minced pork, tofu and brinjal. The minced pork is prepared over a tedious process, where it is first stir-fried for 3 hours, left for an hour and then placed in a fridge overnight, allowing the fats to rise to the top and coagulate. The fats are removed the next day and only then its used in this dish. How’s that for preparation. Must-order!
- - Fried Rice in Superior Stock: The rice is first fried with eggs, and then its cooked together in superior stock, and sliced mushrooms, fish and prawns. Good!
I can tell that food quality is important to the restaurant, and it shows in the cooking and even the little things like soy sauce in the little saucer served to every guest.
I am very happy with this great new find. I can come over many visits and try the different items on their extensive menu.
Must tries: Deep-fried ‘Live’ Soon Hock in Claypot, Black Pepper Lean Pork, Kailan done two ways: Poached & Deep-fried, Alaskan Crab - Salted Egg Yolk, Alaskan Crab - Mushroom Sauce, Braised Shark’s Fin Soup in Claypot, with Crabmeat, Oyster Roll, Fried Rice in Superior Stock
- I also recommend this place for:
- Ala Carte, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Dinner, Hidden Find, Large Groups, Large Groups/Gathering
I added 8 photos
0 people found this review helpful
Was it helpful to you?