Back to Sek Tong Gai#01-317, 47 Tanglin Halt

howinston
 • 12 Sep 2014 113 reviews 1 follower
Overall
I have been recommending this hidden-find restaurant to my friends when they ask me for a new place to dine. They come back to tell me that they love the food here.

I heard from the lady boss that she has some shioment of oysters and I asked her to reserve some for me, and I came by for a meal.

The highlights of my dinner were:
- Steamed Bamboo clams with Fried Garlic and Premium Soy sauce: The bamboo clam is fresh and if you love your shell fish, you wil like this.
- Kai Lan done two ways: I always recommend this dish to my friends, and I always order this when I dine here. Try it.
- Stewed Ee Mian with Fish Slices: The usual Ee Mian is plain. I requested for some fish slices to be added. the fish slices gave the dish a new flavour. But the fresh fish slices addition do not come cheap.
- Baked Cheese Fresh Oyster: Fresh Oysters, topped with cheese and baked. I wished I had the oysters done in different preparation, so that I can have a different taste. But there's always a next time.
- Salted Fish Seafood Bee Hoon: This was the first time I had seafood bee hoon with salted fish and the salted fish sliced gave a nice flavour to the dish and I loved it. Recommended!

I will come to try out  their different prepartions for oyster when they have the next shipment, which I hope is soon.

Must tries: Stewed Ee Mian with Fish Slices, Steamed Bamboo clams with Fried Garlic and Premium Soy sauce, Baked Cheese Fresh Oyster, Salted Fish Seafood Bee Hoon

Ala Carte, Dinner, Hidden Find, Large Groups/Gathering, Take Away

ArcticStar
 • 24 Jun 2014 272 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Providing a casual, relaxed ambience for families and friends alike to enjoy a good meal in a non-fussy environment, this clean-cut Chinese restaurant serves everything from soup to seafood, basically a wide range of zichar dishes, and the "menu" comes in the form of an electronic tablet.
The first dish that was served was the Chinese Spinach with mini dried scallops and cellophane noodles (more commonly known as "tang hoon"), at SGD$21.00. This seemingly simple dish was immersed in the most tasty broth, the fresh spinach was finely soft, and the cellophane noodles were silky smooth, so this dish passed on all counts - taste, texture and outlook.
Next, we had the Claypot chicken with salted fish (SGD$18.00) - the chicken was not ultra-tender, but the taste was superb in savoury's element. Imagine tiny bits of salted fish and the overture of spring onion orchestrating flavors on top of the saltish gravy the chicken was infused with.
Following this, we had the Soon Hock Fish (SGD$97.00) - cooked in traditional Cantonese style alongside cubes of beancurd, white mushrooms and brinjal. The fish was fresh and saccharine in its sea-worthy manner, and the brinjal was meltingly soft. This was a dish with everything - meat and vegetables tossed into one.
For more detailed information and photos, please feel free to visit :

Must tries: Soon Hock fish, Chinese spinach with cellophane noodles, Steamed pork ribs, Claypot chicken with salted fish, Herbal tea

Children/Family, Dinner, Lunch

howinston
 • 24 Mar 2014 113 reviews 1 follower
Overall
The restaurant has a long history: In Tiong Bahru for over 18 years, Neil Rd (Chinatown) for 7 yrs, 3-yr retirement before opening the restaurant at Tanglin Halt for the past 2 years.

You can sit inside/ alfresco. Alfresco offers a unique dining style, where you are ‘transported back’ to the 60’s, where you can sit back in your chair, enjoy the evening breeze and savour a meal under the stars.

Here are my meal highlights:

-       - Braised Shark’s Fin Soup in Claypot, with Crabmeat: Comes with a side of stir-fried bean sprouts and parsley as add-ons. Black/ Red vinegar are available. Good!
-       - Oyster Roll: Filled with dried oyster, salted egg yolks and big fresh prawns… A unique and decadent appetiser!
-       - Seafood Spring Roll: Fresh prawns, chestmut, parsley, chilli and cuttlefish paste come together to make this one of my favourite dishes for the evening. Must-order!
-      - Alaskan Crab: The crab leg shells were thoughtfully cut along the sides so we can get to the meat easily. We had it done two ways:
- Mushroom Sauce: Cream base with sliced mushrooms. Loved this. A unique creation and I don’t find this anywhere!
- Salted Egg Yolk (SEY): Open up the crab legs and put a piece in your mouth. when you slide the shell out, use upper teeth to slide meat out, and your tongue will have the SEY below, when the crab meat and SEY combine, you get a special taste and texture!
The crab was meaty, sweet and delicious. You can ask for half or even a quarter Alaskan crab if you have a smaller group. Must-try!

-      - Kailan done two ways: Poached – Kailan was poached and laid on a plate, with sauce made from premium Japanese Soy Sauce. Topped with Deep Fried chopped-up kalian leaves, and garnished with a special mix of silver fish, shallots and shredded octopus. Unique & Highly recommended!
-      - Black Pepper Lean Pork: Tender and delicious. Not peppery at all. Yummy!
-    - Deep-fried ‘Live’ Soon Hock in Claypot: A special dish that I will order again. Good to pre-order. The ‘live’ fish was deep-fried and placed in a claypot, topped with a sauce made of minced pork, tofu and brinjal. The minced pork is prepared over a tedious process, where it is first stir-fried for 3 hours, left for an hour and then placed in a fridge overnight, allowing the fats to rise to the top and coagulate. The fats are removed the next day and only then its used in this dish. How’s that for preparation. Must-order!
-      - Fried Rice in Superior Stock: The rice is first fried with eggs, and then its cooked together in superior stock, and sliced mushrooms, fish and prawns. Good!
I can tell that food quality is important to the restaurant, and it shows in the cooking and even the little things like soy sauce in the little saucer served to every guest.

I am very happy with this great new find. I can come over many visits and try the different items on their extensive menu.

Highly recommended!

Must tries: Deep-fried ‘Live’ Soon Hock in Claypot, Black Pepper Lean Pork, Kailan done two ways: Poached & Deep-fried, Alaskan Crab - Salted Egg Yolk, Alaskan Crab - Mushroom Sauce, Braised Shark’s Fin Soup in Claypot, with Crabmeat, Oyster Roll, Fried Rice in Superior Stock

Ala Carte, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Dinner, Hidden Find, Large Groups, Large Groups/Gathering