Review for Seletar Hill Restaurant

AsianChineseSichuan
Address: 16 Jalan Selaseh, 808440
22 Oct 2011
Overall

people found this review useful Was it useful to you?Yes

More reviews of Seletar Hill Restaurant

Excellent Restaurant In A Quiet Neighbourhood

Full Seletar Hill Restaurant review here

Tucked away in the quiet neighbourhood of Seletar Hills, the Seletar Hill Restaurant is an unassuming place that has been dishing out great tasting Chinese Szechuan and Hunan dishes for over 20 years.

Oddly, the Singaporean husband-and-wife owners / chefs of Seletar Hill Restaurant actually received their culinary training in Szechuan cuisine and Hunan cuisine from... America. As such, you'll be able to order American-Chinese dishes here, like General Tso's Chicken or Orange Crispy Beef, which are also among their signature dishes.

Ambience at Seletar Hill Restaurant is rather dated, with faded newspaper articles on the exterior and simple Chinese decor within. They also have a verenda for outdoor dining. The interior of Seletar Hill Restaurant is completely enclosed, without any windows, and seats about 30 people or so. Also, I noticed that some other people just came to order take-away.

Service is polite but rather unhurried, as Seletar Hill Restaurant mainly caters to the surrounding neighbourhood. Wait staff are mainly from China, and may not understand English. They are quite efficient though.

The menu at Seletar Hill Restaurant is extensive, with more than 20 signature dishes, and about 50 normal ala-carte dishes. Most of their specialties are Szechuan or Hunan dishes, but they also have house-made desserts and American-Chinese dishes. Attempting to try all their signature dishes alone would probably require 3 or more visits, without even ordering from the normal ala-carte menu.

Food is generally quite good quality and tasty, you'll be able to taste the wok skills of the chefs. The normal sized portions are enough for 4 people, and prices are quite reasonable, especially for the various set menus. If I had to pick the 3 most outstanding dishes, I would recommend:

1. Fish Maw With Shredded Chicken And Fresh Crab Meat Potage (Soup)

2. Camphor Tea Smoked Duck

3. Dong Po Stewed Pork Belly

It's best to reserve a table in advance if you plan to dine on the weekends. I'll definitely love to visit Seletar Hill Restaurant again!

Overall

Thumbs up to the smoked duck, delicious and unforgettable taste, lure us to make a come back for the food. :)

Absolute disaster~

This restaurant was so bad it prompted me to sign up for a hungrygowhere account to write about it.

Firstly, if you are looking for Sichuan food, go somewhere else - anywhere.

It is what I would imagine Chinese Cantonese settlers in San Francisco or London Chinatown trying to run a Sichuan restaurant. It is like Jackie Chan's Rush Hour - if you know what I mean. Only people who had never been to China can be hoodwinked.

The only saving grace is that they actually have Mainland Chinese staff that actually spoke Putonghua.

But what really tipped me off the scale was the tea..............

We were served a Rickshaw brand tea bag, and charged $1.50 per person - $6 for 4 pax. I know. Its not a lot of money. It's just enraging that the BOSS responded that "we have been doing this for the past 20 years. this is how we charge."

20cents tea bag charge $6 - and she feels this is perfectly justified.

This attitude is also reflected in their food.

If I could, I would rate the following way

Food/Beverage ................... -9 (MINUS 9)

Value................................... -9

Nice Camphor Duck! :-)

The place lies in a cosy corner but parking is difficult as there were a few eateries there. SHR wasn't packed when we went there.

We ordered the camphor tea-smoked duck, a few other dishes and the hot & sour soup. Service was pretty prompt and quick as it wasn't crowded at all.

The Camphor duck is really delicious although the half portion serving is really small (for almost $20)... We had a few other dishes and the Hot & Sour soup. Among all the dishes, we really liked the duck & soup only. We also had the durian pudding, it was so-so only. Will go back to eat the Camphor Tea-smoked Duck & Hot & Sour soup and to try their other dishes.