Reviews for Serenity Spanish Bar & Restaurant (VivoCity)

3.6

BeerEuropeanMediterraneanSpanishWesternWine
Address: #01-98/99, VivoCity, 1 HarbourFront Walk, 098585

27 Dec 2015

A great gathering place

If you are looking for a nice place with good view with good live band with delicious food and drinks, this is the place to be. Its located in vivo city just beside the pathway by the sea view. They have live band and twice that I was there, I enjoyed their food and environment. Price is on the slightly pricy range. However, this is a good place to have gathering with friends. Any of the dishes are nice. After dinner, you and your friends can seat back and relax, have drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) and chat. The live band can be a little loud and hence, if you want to chat, you will need to request to seat further away.

More reviews of Serenity Spanish Bar & Restaurant

I've had much better....

As a food lover, I'm into recommending, experimenting and being recommended of restaurants and cuisines.
 Here's one of my disappointing recommendations for you guys in Singapore-
 Do not eat at Serenity restaurant at Vivocity. Not only has their quality gone down, but the exorbitant prices are no match to the taste.
 To top it off, as a Spanish tapas joint, their Valencia paella is horrible- laden with turmeric, undercooked with stale seafood and chicken and grossly overpriced ($70 for a small plate for two). Not to mention, when we complained, they insisted that's what a paella tastes like and were extremely rude for pointing out a disappointing meal.
 So please save yourself your hard earned dollars and try out other places; Catalunya at Collyer Quay for instance is awesome (they serve traditional Spanish dishes with a twist and decently priced).

Spanish Style Roasted Suckling Pig

For the complete review, click here:

Cochinillo Asado ($338) Spanish style roasted suckling pig - whole. Good for 5 to 8 pax. Served with the au jus from the pig, brown sauce, tomato jam and potatoes. The suckling pig are roasted as whole and served as a whole. Like other traditional Spanish restaurant ritual, the suckling pig will be cut using saucer to show the crispiness of the skin and the tenderness of the meat. Normally, the saucer dispose by breaking it on the floor. In Serenity, the guest will be invited to break the plate in the bin with a stone in the middle. A nice ritual.

The skin is the paper thin crispy skin and flavourful. The meat are juicy and succulent. The best way to eat the meat dipped in au jus (broth from roasting) and brown sauce. As Serenity uses European Suckling Pig, there was a hint of boar taint in the pig.

While we waited for Cochinillo Asado to be ready, we started with some tapas. Pulpo a la Gallega ($19.80). Grilled Spanish Octopus (directly imported) garnished with paprika, flake salt and extra virgin olive oil on a bed of potato.

Salteado De Coles De Bruselas Con Jamon Serrano ($18.80). Sautéed Brussels Sprout With Serrano Ham. One of the vegetable that I missed from my time in Australia. Looks like a miniature cabbage, it has a strong bitter taste. By the cooking with Serrano Ham, the bitterness was reduce substantially. A good dish indeed.

After we finished with the suckling pig, we had Paella Valenciana (Valencian Paella - $53). The flavour of the Paella rice is very robust, derived from the stock used. The Spanish Chorizo intensified the flavour in the dish compare to the mild flavour of the seafood. I find the rice is a bit overcooked, as Paella rice was supposed to be al-dente texture instead of soft.

Since we all have stuffed ourself silly with the main and tapas, we decided to order the Churros ($10.80) to try. It is part crispy, chewy or doughy and the chocolate sauce was thin but without a solid chocolate flavour in it. Lucky we only order one, and the dessert is definitely not worth the price. Give this dish a miss.

The décor of Serenity is similar to the traditional houses in Spain, as been shown in the food and travel channel (I have not been to Spain yet). Service is very lacklustre. While we received a cheerful welcome by the receptionist, it was followed with grumpy, uptight and uninterested service style by the manager inside. However it turned for the better, when the suckling pig came out. He mellowed down and very informative about the suckling pig and its ritual. Well, I just chalked it down to him having a bad day.

Overall, it was definitely an experience to remember. It was a great fun with great company. For a pig lover, a Spanish Style Sucking Pig is a must try as it has a different texture compare to the Cantonese Suckling Pig. Cheers!! Aclamaciones!!

Very Bad and Very expensive

Just don't go or you will regret for the rest of your life.

cost me 162.15 after 20% credit card discount... for 5 dishes(including a squid ink pael 4pax 106 sgd and tasty like s*** looks like a coal the prawn even have s*** in it i have to pull it out by myself. I don't know how this bar survive in singapore I am shocked)

and the tuna stuff (tuna in a red pepper) tuna is from a can food. I am pretty sure.

Utterly disappointing.

The good news is that the tapas and the side dishes were quite tasty. However, the price is not justifiable.

The reviews previously mentioned that the suckling pig was really good. At first, I balked at the enormous price tag. $338++. I decided to try once. The suckling pig was disappointing to say the least. At that kind of reviews, I expected something extraordinary. It was disappointing as it seems no better than some of the zichar or posh chinese restaurants that I went to. At this price tag, it added to my disappointments.

The service was terrible. I asked for water and was given $12 per bottle of fiji water. Did I ask for Fiji water??? I later asked for tap water and was charged another $2 per person. Is it your job to rip off customers? At the minimum, the staff must have pointed to the menu to confirm what is the difference if your order are ambigious.

It was frustrating enough that I decided to stop arguing with the staff and write a review....