Review for Shin Kushiya (Vivocity)

Address: #02-120, Vivocity, 1 Harbourfront Walk, 098585

Book a Table

Book NowFree, instantly confirmed.

03 Feb 2014

See the full post with pictures here.   We headed here for dinner one friday night before another Franc Franc shopping expedition especially since I’ve been into kushiyaki ever since we had it at Rakuichi and it was mindblowingly awesome. Sad to say Rakuichi’s kushiyaki is heads and shoulders over Shin Kushiya’s. Even Tori Q’s chicken balls are better than theirs, which is full of tendons and weird bits. Or perhaps they are meant to be like that, I’m no grilled chicken ball connoisseur.   They look nice and charred but are a little light on the sauce. We really liked the pork wrapped enoki – that was one of the best things to order here. I’d generally steer clear of anything with minced chicken meat in it, including the chicken stuffed shiitake. The grilled cod was alright, if not a little overdone.   The chawanmushi was average, nothing spectacular. We just order this everywhere because I really like chawanmushi. Haven’t found a place that does it better than sushi tei though.   For some reason I was craving qing1 dan4 things so we ordered some rice in dashi with salmon flakes. I liked it actually, but I don’t really recommend ordering it :P Their menu is extensive (does that mean they don’t really specialize in anything?) so you’ll have no problems finding things to order.   The best part of the meal was the dessert – we had their black sesame (goma) parfait, with home made black sesame cream (NOT zhi ma hu, just more of a sort of black sesame mousse that accompanies the ice cream), black sesame ice cream, a black sesame wafer dipped in white sesame seeds, and some strawberries. The black sesame ice cream was the best I’ve ever had! I highly recommend ordering dessert!   If you are looking for the Tori-Q style of grilling which is heavy on the marinade, you will be rather disappointed here – the kushiyaki are minimally glazed and seasoned so as to let the flavors of the ingredients shine, which is not a bad thing at all.   I would definitely come back to try some of the other dishes (we obviously didn’t manage to cover everything between the two of us) but I can’t say I like how there were nearly as many misses as hits.

More reviews of Shin Kushiya

Great Dining Place!

Went to Shin Kushiya for dinner with the usual bunch of colleagues few weeks ago on a Friday night.
 Oh boy, I must say that beside the great company, the food is so yummy too!
 Some of the dishes which i would recommend:
 - Skewers (we ordered a variety for the six of us, but my favourites are the homemade chicken meatballs, golden mushrooms wrapped with sliced pork, cherry tomatoes wrapped with sliced beef, rice with spicy codfish roe) - all the ingredients used were very fresh and they are all cooked to perfection!
 - Bluefin sea robbin in sashimi style (Seasonal item)
 - Flamed salmon sashimi maki
 - Lobster maki
 - Cold Somen
 - Deep fried thin udon with wasabi mayonnaise (which all of us couldn't stop munching!)
 I can see myself going back soon to try out the other food, and definitely a good place for gatherings too.
 Lastly, thumbs up to the service even though the restaurant was always flooded with customers at any point of the time.

New season menu!

I was told there is a new season menu for April. So here I am and all ready to try this Houbou fush aka bluefin sea robbin. and what is the best way to eat a fish in Japanese style? Sashimi and grilled!
 when the fish was served in sashimi style. It has a fresh and mild sweetness taste to it. But it is the grilled style which I like the most. Slightly grilled skin and all white flesh Give the heavenly texture and sweet taste in my mouth. Themail best part about having the fish here it is they all fresh frown from Japan.
 Since I am here, I will not missed the chance to oder some of the famous Yakitori. There so many variety of choices. When they serve those Yakitori in a long plat. It is not only visually appealing but also make me very happy.
 There are many different type of choice. the one that I like the most are pork belly, chicken, fish, bacon wrap and cherry tomat that pop in your mouth. What anice experience.
 Maki roll are another highlight on that day dinner. The black dragon roll was really good. served with unagi and prawn. You will never go wrong with these combo.
 Another thing that really cheer me up was the drinks. I had a drink that the pearls are not normal pearls. Those pearlo will pop in your mouth. those are yakut pearls. Now how did they do that?
 The overall experience were great. Especially dining with bunch of good friends. I am sure to be back with my family next time.

New Menu at Shin Kushiya

This is my second visit to this restaurant. I was previously surprised by the wide offering, so I came back again.

Since my last visit, the menu has been revamped. There are new additions to the menu and I ordered a few items from their new menu to try:

- Houbou Sashimi: $39.80. This was Bluefin Sea Robin Sashimi that’s been imported directly from Japan. After we had finished the sashimi, the staff made soup with the fish bones. The soup was clear soup and has a slightly sweet taste. Its nice.

- Houbou Shioyaki: $48.80. Char-grilled sea robin with sea salt. The same fish as mentioned earlier but its now grilled with salt. The fish is nice and tender. I like the crispy parts of the fish skin/ fins. Those parts were a tad salty due to the salt.

- Black Dragon Maki: $17.80. Deep fried prawn sushi roll topped with sliced unagi, a dollop of mayonnaise and ebi roe. I love the unagi and the mayonnaise. Its nice, and I will order it again.

- Volcano Maki: $15.80. Deep fried maki with crab meat, salmon and unagi. This was interesting. A rolled maki that’s been cut to pieces and then coated with batter and deep fried. The batter is light, similar to tempura batter and it gave a nice unique texture to the maki. Its drizzled with sweet black sauce and mayonnaise and topped with ebi roe.

- Subuta: $11.80. Japanese style Sweet & Sour Pork. This is is very similar to the Chinese ‘Ko Lo Yoke’. The pork pieces are coated with flour and deep fried before it’s stir-fried with mixed vegetables – egg plane, capsicum, carrots and mushrooms. It’s nice. Portion is good for sharing.

- Buta Shioyaki: Char-grilled pork belly in sweet sauce and topped with fried minced garlic. Sliced pork belly nicely laid out on a serving plate. Its good. Personally, I would have preferred the pork belly to be more thinly sliced, which will make each bite perfect!

- Saba Misoni: $8.80. Braised Japanese mackerel in miso sauce. I am not usually a fan of saba fish, as most of the time its grilled and too dry for my liking. However, I loved this very much, as its steamed and then served atop Chinese spinach vegetables with a nice miso dressing. Its good. Must-order!

The new menu items are good and I like the food in the new menu.

Overall, a good meal and I will be back again with my family.

Try it!

Enjoy Japanese Yakitori, Sashimi and More at Vivo City!

Last week, my colleagues and I were looking for a place to dine, and we decided on this restaurant at Vivo City.

I had all along thought it’s a solely Kushiyaki restaurant that serves grilled items.

I was surprised at their menu, which was extensive and includes food such as sushi and sashimi.  Just for the Yakitori section, the menu had close to 50 items, divided into Pork, beef, chickens and vegetable sections.

We ordered from across the menu and the standouts were:
 - Cold Somen: $14.20. Chilled thin noodles with dipping sauce. There are different toppings such as seaweed, sesame, shiso leaf that you can put into the dipping sauce to enjoy different taste for your somen. Came with prawns, shitake mushroom and a soft boiled egg. Nice!
 - Tori Karrage: $8.60. Deep fried chicken. Chicken pieces are big and generous.
 - Pumpkin Croquette:$8.60. Crispy pumpkin croquettes. Loved this. It was unique and taste good. A goma (sesame sauce) was served with it. Complemented the croquette.
 - Lobster Maki: $16.20. Rock lobster topped sushi roll. This is also good. The lobster is chopped up with mayonnaise and topped on the maki. Order it.
 - Aburi Salmon Maki: $15. Salmon was wrapped around the maki and flame broiled. Try it!

Yakitori -
 - Tsukune: $2.40. Grilled chicken meatballs. The balls were about ping pong sized with a good soy dressing.
 - Negima: $2.40 Chicken and leek with soy sauce. This was not bad.
 - Nikuzume Shitake: $2.80. Mushroom stuffed with minced chicken. I like mushrooms, so I enjoyed this.
 - Tori Sasami Mentai: $2.80.  Grilled pieces of chicken breast with spicy codfish roe over it. I like this.
 - Gyu Enoki Maki: $4. Golden mushrooms wrapped with sliced beef. Beef is good.
 - Miso Yaki Onigiri: Grilled Japanese rice ball with miso. I like this, as the rice ball has some burnt parts that give it a nice flavour.
 - Mentai Yaki Onigiri: Grilled rice ball with spicy codfish roe. A different flavour from the earlier riceball. Also good.

- Tea Jelly with milk: The tea jelly has a mild tea flavour. Would have preferred the jelly to have a stronger flavour. It came with a side of milk that you can pour over the jelly.
 - Sesame dessert cake with sesame ice cream: This was good. We finished this in a blink of an eye. The dessert cake is like deconstructed pudding and taste good.
 They have interesting drinks menu that include mocktails made with Calpis (a refreshing drink) and Yakult.

They have a good variety of food here that will cater to different taste buds.

Go try it!

Extremely lousy service attitude!

Overall, staff have lousy service attitude. you can sense it right at the entrance. Thanks to their forever acting busy staffs, who didnt even bother to serve their customers despite several eye contact, it turns us away, immediately.