Back to Shin Yuu Japanese RestaurantHillcrest Park, 16 Greenwood...

Sashimi8 votes
Wine Lists4 votes

Calanthe
 • 29 Jul 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
The sashimi is unlike anything we've tried before. If you're lucky you get darker salmon varieties. If you're lucky you get better parts (tuna and sashimi). All in all the sashimi is the restaurant's strength.
Hotate Mentaiyaki (scallops) wasn't the best around. In fact I was surprised because it was waaaay below Sushi Express' Hotate Mentai. Way below. But nevertheless Shin Yuu's Hotate is good. Just not the best.
Wafu Beef is where the bad part about the restaurant starts. We ordered the Wafu Beef on the FIRST round of order-taking. It came only towards the end DESPITE several reminders to the waiters on their subsequent trips. We nicknamed this dish the Foxtrot Uniform (Wa-FU) Beef.
Service-wise, one of the head staff committed customer-service suicide. He came in and was very disappointed that only 3 people turned up, although a table for 6 was reserved. The remaining 3 friends could not make it that day. We were given one of the private rooms. And because the kitchen was close to our private room, we could still hear that head staff bitching about us to his colleagues. And if that guy wasn't enough, another staff did not let the matter rest and showed disappointment on her face. I immediately went outside of the private room and saw the restaurant wasn't full, so their rant was unjustified.
Dory and pork ribs were very well prepared. Soft Shelled crab wasn't nice to make us order it more (Suki Sushi's soft-shelled crab is leagues better). The seaweed rolls were pretty much empty, fileld with air. The rice was great, though. Shin Yuu can do Japanese rice. Their cooked food were generally good. Wafu Beef, despite coming only at the very end, was tender with great sauce that one could mistaken it for venison.
Last complaint: there will be a long refractory period where the food comes slowly, perhaps hoping orders will be forgotten (we didn't forget the Wafu Beef!) or perhaps hoping we'll be digested enough to not order more food. It's a buffet after all, but I frown upon their economical, stingy, penny-pinching behavior. Just not right, whichever way I see it.
All in all, I hope my review has been objective and to admit, I decided to be generous in the rating section. Else the service would get one star.

Must tries: Sashimi, Wafu Steak

Anniversary, Birthdays, Boys Night Out

poportion
 • 23 Jul 2014 31 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Great service, great food, great ambience! A little more pricey but justified by the food quality. The sashimi are fresh and sliced correctly, with different varieties. The chawanmushi served with japanese fishcakes and fish roes is just awesome. Try the chicken wings, wafu beef, scallops with mentaiko and soft shell crab served with mayonnaise!

Must tries: Sashimi, Chawanmushi, Wafu Steak

Evan T
 • 06 Dec 2013 1 review 0 follower
Overall
Best Japanese food ever. Great service great food great people! There is always something new and food is always fresh! A definite must try!