Reviews for Japanese Healthy Dining Shirokiya (Cuppage Terrace)

3.6

AsianJapanese
Address: Cuppage Terrace, 43/43A Cuppage Road, 229463

02 Jan 2016
Overall

great place for pork or chicken

we ordered large plate of pork and large plate of chicken. in addition, pork based collegen steam boat with extra set of udon and extra set of mushrooms. we went as a group of 4 people so we were quite hungry. as a small top up, we ordered ormelete with spicy roe. the steam boat is very delicous and they provide free top up of soup base. couple with a cup of hot tea, it was splendid. i love the chicken on hot plate plus the healthy steam boat. after a nice meal , if you are looking for a place to chill with friends, you can order the various types of mocktail , beer or cocktail. try to make a reservation before coming.

More reviews of Japanese Healthy Dining Shirokiya

Nice place to chill out

I was out with a few colleagues that night and was looking for a place to chill out, every place was kind of full and we had a hard time looking for a place for a drink and we chance upon this Jap restaurant and decided to check it out. The place ambience was fine, it wasn't that hot even though we were in the smoking area open concept base. Looking around us, no one ordered the beer tower so we thought we will give it a go, even though it cost 80 bucks for one tower but still at the ambience and coming with a group it was affordable. The place was a little squeeze I thought cause I was sitting at the side so if I were to go to the gent two of my colleagues have to stand up and give way. The food was alright as told by my colleagues, we order two finger food, one was the sweet fried chicken wing and the other was the fried chicken pieces that had a sour touch in it. Overall we spent 150 bucks there which was 30 bucks per person including the drinks, so overall it was worth while. To say if I were to recommend it, I will, but not an everyday basis, probably once a month.

good place to chill

nice beer nice food good place to chill friendly stuff you shall try the frozen beer nice chicken wing

Very Unique Dishes

The menu does feature lots of rare and unique Japanese dishes that cannot be found in other restaurants. And they sure look temptingly delicious. The only issue is that a fat wallet is needed to try out all of them.

The collagen hotpot seems like one of the main attractions, and frankly speaking, the seafood spread looks very attractive, where the fresh ingredients filled the pot almost to the brim. I'll say that the star of this dish is the clear, light, tasty broth. Even the tofu-like pieces of solidified collagen are clear in colour. As compared to the hearty, strong-tasting soup in Tsukada Nojo, I prefer Shirokiya's soup base since it is packed with subtle favours yet not overwhelming. However, unlike the unique and wholesome range of ingredients that Tsukada Nojo prepares for hotpot, the ones of Shirokiya are pretty generic: prawns (the best part), chicken pieces (kind of like randomly cut) and the usual suspects of vegetables used for most hotpot, cabbage, carrot, golden mushrooms and sh!take mushrooms.

Thus I find that the kurobuta pork hotpot set is a much better choice, where I can enjoy the soup and the generous helping of thinly sliced fresh kurobuta pork. A sprinkle of freshly grated black pepper onto the meat gives the extra kick and oomph.

As for the Fried Rice with Crab Meat, the rice portion seems to taste a bit bland on the first bite due to the lack of salt and oil. However, after a few more mouthful, the inherent aroma of the rice comes through. The use of less oil actually makes this dish more enjoyable to tuck into. When paired with the generous topping of real crab meat and shredded dried seaweed, the result is bursting with the goodness of the sea.

The tori karaage is not exactly what I call healthy food, but Shirokiya presents the healthier version by reducing the salt. Taste wise, it is plainer, still palatable though. Not exactly a noteworthy dish.

The second floor feels cosy due to the wooden furniture, sliding doors and panels. The pictures of sceneries in Japan decorate the walls, imparting a modern yet distinctively Japanese feel to the place. Though making one's way to the staircase to second floor is, well, not pleasant. The walkway is narrow, and there is a part where the dirty utensils are piled up at the side. After patronising this place many times, I find the overall service to be getting better. In fact, we feel very comfortable when dining there because of the helpful, genuinely friendly staff.

I do enjoy dining in Shirokiya, not including the journey to the staircase. So will visit again.

This review (with pictures) can be found on my blog: http://morsels-of-delice.blogspot.sg/2015/07/shirokiya-very-unique-dishes.html

Not so healthy dining

First and last time in this sushi place! Food wasn't really fresh and to be honest worst sushi I have ever eat in Singapore. We had to cancelled the last orders, it was that bad :( I hope that this was just an accident and thay can deliver some good and fresh food for other clients.