Summary

crab bee hoon, Frog legs with Chicken Essence, gong-gong, Crab View all
Dinner, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Large Groups/Gathering, Children/Family, Chillout, Hidden Find, People Watching, Supper View all

Humongous crab!

Have been to this place twice, and I must say that all the hassle of going to geylang and wating for almost an hour is worth it....once in a while at least :)

The undoubted star is the crab bee hoon with HUGE crabs. The crabs are monstrous and really fresh and delicious. The feeling when you crack the shell of the pincer and reveal the huge chuck of meat is simply indescribable. Its practically the size of a small chicken drumstick. The bee hoon totally soaks up all the delicious sweet crabby flavours and there is plenty plenty plenty of roe. Totally and decadently yummy.

Other stuff I've had there - black bean scallops, garlic prawns. Both pretty good dishes, the prawns are quite yummy, fresh with plenty of garlic.

Another thing I had, quite hilariously, was "yi ge cai" - literally, "one vegetable". In fact, we had wanted to get a stir fried vegetable dish when we were ordering. We had already ordered our crab bee hoon and scallops, and then I simply said "hai you yi ge cai" - "and one vegetable". So you know when u say that you would expect the person taking your order to describe to you, for example, that they have kangkong, kailan, caixim etc right? And ask you which one you want? But NO. The guy simply nodded curtly and walked off! HAhaha it was simply hilarious. So we had fun during our long wait speculating what "yi ge cai" would turn out to be.

Anyway, as it turned out, "yi ge cai" means kailan at sin huat. Pretty good, with plenty of garlic, fried onions and oyster sauce :D

A caveat though - if you're really hungry or in a rush, this is not the place for you. The food takes at least an hour to arrive and I'm pretty sure they don't take kindly to being rushed - I've never dared to try personally :P

Most helpful reviews for Sin Huat Eating House

never will I go again

Crazy price" silly place to go; still can't get over the my bad experience. Super super long waiting time despite there is no crowd! 1 dish average waiting time is 45 min. No can drinks; all dilute drinks only. Service fxxk up. Nothing for me to recommend...

Worst than previous experience! PLEASE PLEASE DON'T GO!!!

Been there years ago with a group of colleagues. still remembered the wait wasn't that long and the food quality was still ok ...at least the seafood were fresh despite the exorbitant pricing.

Returned tonight with 2 girlfriends and the experience was so unbelievably disappointing!!! We were out rightly being fleeced!  And I wonder if I can report to CASE on this, have this place closed forever so that other innocent people will not be fleeced!!

Firstly, the service was S***ty! That obnoxious, thinks he is dmn great owner/chef gave us a super black face for just ordering a kailan and crab bee hoon. Secondly, we have to wait nearly 2 hours for our food! And the dishes tasted HORRIBLE!! The kailan was super salty, the bee hoon tasted like rubber and the crabs were not fresh! I have reasons to believe this lousy fare was cooked up on purpose because we ordered so little!!

To make it worst, this lousy, S***ty dinner costs us $200+! Totally not worth every cent!! This is daylight robbery! So why are the supporters still blindly supporting and patronizing this place?!?! It's time to WAKE UP!

regret coming here because the price cut my throat !!

Food/Drink 4 | Value 2 | Ambience N/A | Service 2

the food are doubtless good but the price are very unreasonable. the seafood are expensive . they have no menu . believe it or not tissue + 4 plates of groundnuts cost 48 $$ . we were shock when the bill showed 485$$   . I can take that money and have dinner in the Singapore eye . so I don't recommend this place .

Great Food, Obnoxious Owner

The owner chef is obnoxious, the service strange and the place is filthy, but the food is great.

The main item here is their crab beehoon. The kailan in crab stock, the gong gong with great hoisin/chili dip and the black bean scallop are great too.

The owner will push you into ordering more than you can eat if you let your guards down; and then you get stunned by the hefty bill! I've witnessed a large family meal of 2 tables end with the stunned host paying over $1.5K!!!

The trick is to order the beehoon, and less dishes you want, then let him push you into ordering another one or two more dishes; otherwise he give you a black face.

You can't escape ordering from him! He's the only one allowed to take order and cooks too, so avoid busy weekend if you don't want to wait.

Bad service attitude

If you are planning to show foreign friends around or simply introduce someone to crab bee hoon, don't bring them here.  The service attitude is horrible and getting worst over time!  On my last visit, we arrived early for dinner and the stall wasn't ready. We decided to order something for the children to begin their dinner, from another stall in the same coffeeshop first. Later, the boss said we already started eating from another stall and he don't want our business!!!  I've never seen anyone with such arrogance and bad attitude. We walked off and patronised another seafood joint with much better service attitude.