Review for Sin Huat Eating House (新发海鲜馆)

2.2

AsianChineseLocalSeafoodSingaporean
Address: 659/661 Geylang Road, 389589
17 Mar 2009

Humongous crab!

Have been to this place twice, and I must say that all the hassle of going to geylang and wating for almost an hour is worth it....once in a while at least :)

The undoubted star is the crab bee hoon with HUGE crabs. The crabs are monstrous and really fresh and delicious. The feeling when you crack the shell of the pincer and reveal the huge chuck of meat is simply indescribable. Its practically the size of a small chicken drumstick. The bee hoon totally soaks up all the delicious sweet crabby flavours and there is plenty plenty plenty of roe. Totally and decadently yummy.

Other stuff I've had there - black bean scallops, garlic prawns. Both pretty good dishes, the prawns are quite yummy, fresh with plenty of garlic.

Another thing I had, quite hilariously, was "yi ge cai" - literally, "one vegetable". In fact, we had wanted to get a stir fried vegetable dish when we were ordering. We had already ordered our crab bee hoon and scallops, and then I simply said "hai you yi ge cai" - "and one vegetable". So you know when u say that you would expect the person taking your order to describe to you, for example, that they have kangkong, kailan, caixim etc right? And ask you which one you want? But NO. The guy simply nodded curtly and walked off! HAhaha it was simply hilarious. So we had fun during our long wait speculating what "yi ge cai" would turn out to be.

Anyway, as it turned out, "yi ge cai" means kailan at sin huat. Pretty good, with plenty of garlic, fried onions and oyster sauce :D

A caveat though - if you're really hungry or in a rush, this is not the place for you. The food takes at least an hour to arrive and I'm pretty sure they don't take kindly to being rushed - I've never dared to try personally :P
crab bee hoon

More reviews of Sin Huat Eating House

As good as I remembered

I returned last night to see if my last been hoon was as good as I remembered. Yup, it was. It does not get much better than this. If you cannot afford greatness, do not go. If you need china and silverware, do not go. Otherwise, bring an appetite, buy a bottle of Tiger and eat a meal that will give you lots of food to take away.
Overall

Over priced and bullied by owner

We went to celebrate a friend's birthday who has been to Sin Huat before. She told the owner who took orders that there were 3 of us because from her previous experience he insisted that customers have to order X number of dishes. She requested for 1kg of gong gong as not everyone eats it (4 of us). When the bill came he billed us for 2kg and when we questioned him and told him that if he continues bullying customers into ordering and charging them more food than they ordered the crowd would dwindle. He actually told us it's none of our isomers.

Terrible experience

People please do not go there. Terrible services.. Only owner can take order and he is also the cook. Must wait till he is done with his cooking then come out take order. Ordered two crab one sotong two otars, one plate steamed prawn.. Owner say I thought u wan order a lot only order so little.. Insist us to order somemore..we decline and he is angry.Waited 1h 20 mins for the first otars to be served.. Each of us drink two cups drinks as waited too long and too stuffy.. Foods is really d*** salty as had been instructed by my Fren to warn him not to put so much salt.. In the end the pepper crab tasted like being forced feed with salt. Worst case, one sotong cost $65.. The prawn cost $88.And drinks $55. Two pieces otar cost $50!! There's only four of us, and the whole meal was $400 over dollars.The bloody crabs cost $200.. We go confront the owner he say if I anyhow charge nobody wan come here eat. We told him like this we rather go jumbo at least don't need to wait here with bad services, long waiting time, and overcharge of food. He reply then u go jumbo la don't need come here let me cook for u.. People go have a look at his going to collapse coffee shop, the whole place is so old and dirty..really bad experience. Really trust me please don't go.. U sure will regret..

Bad dining experience

Waited for 30minutes with no menu, no service, and left, had to pay $9 for drinks and peanuts. ridiculous service and waiting time.

do not reccomend to people on a budge or looking to eat food that gives value for money

never will I go again

Crazy price" silly place to go; still can't get over the my bad experience. Super super long waiting time despite there is no crowd! 1 dish average waiting time is 45 min. No can drinks; all dilute drinks only. Service fxxk up. Nothing for me to recommend...