Review for Sin Huat Eating House (新发海鲜馆)

2.3

AsianChineseLocalSeafoodSingaporean
Address: 659/661 Geylang Road, 389589
17 Mar 2009 • 12 Reviews • 1 Follower

Humongous crab!

Overall
Have been to this place twice, and I must say that all the hassle of going to geylang and wating for almost an hour is worth it....once in a while at least :)

The undoubted star is the crab bee hoon with HUGE crabs. The crabs are monstrous and really fresh and delicious. The feeling when you crack the shell of the pincer and reveal the huge chuck of meat is simply indescribable. Its practically the size of a small chicken drumstick. The bee hoon totally soaks up all the delicious sweet crabby flavours and there is plenty plenty plenty of roe. Totally and decadently yummy.

Other stuff I've had there - black bean scallops, garlic prawns. Both pretty good dishes, the prawns are quite yummy, fresh with plenty of garlic.

Another thing I had, quite hilariously, was "yi ge cai" - literally, "one vegetable". In fact, we had wanted to get a stir fried vegetable dish when we were ordering. We had already ordered our crab bee hoon and scallops, and then I simply said "hai you yi ge cai" - "and one vegetable". So you know when u say that you would expect the person taking your order to describe to you, for example, that they have kangkong, kailan, caixim etc right? And ask you which one you want? But NO. The guy simply nodded curtly and walked off! HAhaha it was simply hilarious. So we had fun during our long wait speculating what "yi ge cai" would turn out to be.

Anyway, as it turned out, "yi ge cai" means kailan at sin huat. Pretty good, with plenty of garlic, fried onions and oyster sauce :D

A caveat though - if you're really hungry or in a rush, this is not the place for you. The food takes at least an hour to arrive and I'm pretty sure they don't take kindly to being rushed - I've never dared to try personally :P
crab bee hoon