Review for Sinpopo BRAND

AsianChineseDessertsLocalSingaporeanSnacks
Address: 458 Joo Chiat Road, 427671
28 Apr 2014
Overall

a retro, nostalgic restaurant settled in the east

for full review, visit http://molly-mia.blogspot.sg/2014/04/mias-review-sinpopo-brand.html

the retro, old-school theme of the place really made it stand out from the entire stretch of cafes and eateries along joo chiat road.
Even though the food can be seen as 'overpriced', say $8.90 for an average serving of hainanese curry chicken with fried mantou, i feel that this place is still a hidden gem. a reminiscent of the old singapore in 1950s.
Shaved ice ball, sng muay pop

More reviews of Sinpopo BRAND

what a gem in Joo Chiat!

Caught by their nostalgic menu and 70s deco, what a gem! worth going or spend a lazy afternoon for reminiscence of those good old days. Still not done with their dessert, I will come back for more!

A disappointment

The menu sounds so good it's definitely overpriced and a major let down. Went there on a Saturday 2pm, wanted to order the beef shortrib hot fun... Sold out. So fine we change our order to the Bakwan... Also sold out. So I was forced to order the salmon which I least wanted since my bf was having the pork. Awhile later we saw the opposite table having the nasi lemak which looked good so we asked to change order but they said it's too late lol. Like come on, it's a weekend, shouldn't you prepare your kitchen sufficiently such that you don't run out of 2/5 of your main items?!

food was okay but I wouldn't pay the amount for it. I don't understand why hungrygowhere has it at '$' cos it's not the case at all. I hope they improve?

Don't go there hungry

We ordered the baked salmon ($16) for my 2.5 yr old (not chubby) son and he was still so hungry after finishing the entire plate. He was scavenging around our table for bits to eat and was really restless. My husband who had planned to share the dish with my son had nothing to eat. He didn't feel like ordering more as he was disappointed beyond words. C'mon sinpopo, you could have just added more glass noodles which would not taken much out from your margin. Other ways to milk the customers - be prepared to add $1 more for your coffee iced. The $6 roasted potatoes with curry was a measely medium size potato cut into 5 or 6 parts.

The sng buay pop is probably the only thing positive of this experience but sorry,not going back again.

A little overrated

See all photos here http://www.pepperminter.com/2015/02/cafe-sinpopo-brand-joo-chiat.html

Portions are terribly small and not all the dishes are good. Mostly were average only the Har Cheong Gai burger is worth. The rest... to which it's own. However, the ambiance is really decent. Side dishes are not too bad idea. Keep your expectations in check and you'd not be disappointed.

Sinpopo – 60s managed by the 90s

The shop is decorated with old posters featuring those 60s’ celebrities, vintage wooden furniture, the biscuit tins, black and white mosaic flooring to evoke a 1960s atmosphere. A good dose of nostalgia rarely found in modernized Singapore.   However, the food serves are just average, nothing really impressed us. Some of the desserts served were too sweet to our liking while some mains served were too salty for us. Maybe because it’s managed by youngsters, there wasn’t nostalgia in every mouthful as we had hoped.    Mains, desserts and drinks you might want to give a shot: Zi Pao Kai with Beehoon ($8.90) Sng Muay Pop ($3.90)  Fake bird’s nest ($2.90)   Please refer www.ieatandeat.com for details.