Reviews for SKIRT

AmericanSteak and GrillsWestern
22 Apr 2013

Right choice for a birthday celebration

I was so impressed with my overall experience at Skirt that I felt compelled to write a review - and I'm not one to write reviews!

Their service won me over before we even dined in the restaurant. When I called to make a reservation and informed them that it was my bf's birthday, they asked me for his name and told me they would give us a complimentary slice of cake!

And when we arrived at the restaurant, the service was impeccable. The waiters were always around with a smile and extremely attentive to our needs, perhaps even too much!

As for the food, it was sumptuous. We had complimentary bread with chorizo oil (served in a dropper bottle - how cute!) and seaweed sauce. The bread was fluffy and the blend of flavours was interesting. We ordered a Blackmore Australian full-blood Wagyu skirt steak at $48 for 250g (their signature steak) to share. They served an apple bourbon palate cleanser before the mains arrived and to me this was an indication of how attentive they are to the overall dining experience. I've never tried skirt steak before but it was definitely one of the best steaks I've ever had. Although the medium was slightly on the raw side, the beef was very tender, juicy and flavourful (but not gamy!). My bf commented that it was the best steak he's ever had :) We also ordered wild sauteed mushrooms ($12) and asparagus with quail eggs and burnt butter ($8). The sides were surprisingly inexpensive and offer good bang for the buck. The mushrooms were juicy and soft and again, my mushroom-loving boyfriend said it was the best he's ever had. The asparagus was good though not out of this world. The burnt butter had a crunchiness to it and had the taste of caramel, adding a new dimension to the dish.

For dessert, we had our complimentary cake. It was good though nothing to rave about (can't complain because it's free!) but I was very touched by the gesture. We also ordered the torched honey meringue with coconut and pineapple ice cream ($18). The meringue melts in your mouth and the coconut ice-cream is light. It had pineapple chunks and a cake base to give it an added dimension. Definitely a must try if you're visiting Skirt!

On the whole, I have no doubt that Skirt was the right choice for my bf's birthday celebration. You can also take a walk along the bay to admire the yachts after dinner ;)
Torched honey meringue
The management of SKIRT responded to this review:
20 May 2014
Hi Amanda He,
Thank you for taking your time to write to us. We are really delighted to learn that you have such a fantastic experience in SKIRT. Your lovely comments will definitely be share with our team and we are looking forward to welcome you in the near future.
Subaramaniam Kuppusamy

More reviews of SKIRT

Best steak I've ever had

I went to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday and it was one of most memorable dining experience I've ever had.

The food
We were served bread with some kind of red coloured oil (didn't catch the name) and artichoke dip while we wait for the dishes. And it was one of the freshest bread I've ever had. The inside were fluffy and the crisp on the skin is just prefect. I think it was right out of the oven as we ate another one after our meal ends (2 hours later), it was not as amazing anymore.
We ordered their King Prawns and Wagyu beef from Japan and it was AMAZING. It was certainly one of the best I've ever had. The prawns were big, juicy and flavourful and there are really no words to describe their beef. Tender and it melts in your mouth. The Apple Bourbon they served to heighten the taste sensory was amazingly good and effective.
We also ordered their Sautéed Portobello Mushroom, Garlic Fries Aioli and SKIRT Reinvented Caesar Salad. The Portobello Mushroom was sweet and nice but the garlic fries and ceasar salad was disappointing. Fries were an oily mush and ceasar salad were just normal with too much dressing. Nothing reinvented.
They also had quite a few selection of wines from all over the world and we opened a bottle of Shiraz to go with the beef but I'm not a wine person so no comment on that.

The ambience were definitely nice and the tables and seats were nicely arrannged with a lot of space to spare. I feel like I was dining in private due to the huge sofas but the decorations are a bit mismatched though. It's a steak house but the fish shaped decorations and the Middle Eastern looking lampshade makes me feel like they were going to serve Chinese stir-fry beef or steamed fish.

Their service was superb as well with the waiter coming over to explain the menu with smiles and we also had a complimentary cake due to my boyfriend's birthday. When I asked for their closing time, the staff asked me not to worry about it although it seems like they are closing very soon. I lost my camera at the taxi waiting area next door and the staff at SKIRT helped me to find my camera. (THANK YOU!)
Overall, I think the whole dining experience was a breathtaking one (boyfriend agreed). I will definitely return to try other dishes. Hope they will be just as great! Keep up the good job!

**Will add photos once I get back my camera. ;)
Management response from SKIRT, published 13 Nov 2015
Hello isabellmiao, Thank you for your review. I am thrilled to read about your fabulous dining experience at SKIRT. I am also glad to know that you were well taken care of by my dedicated team while indulging in your dinner. I am pleased to share with you that it is the chorizo oil that was served with our homemade bread. The prawns are indeed succulent and we always have great comments about our steaks. Your feedback about our fries and salad is important to us and I have shared with my culinary team for improvement. In fact we might completely reinvent one of them very soon. All our décor tells the story of beef; the chandeliers are actually handmade from genuine leather, and the glass-blown horns, infuse an old world charm into the ‘Boldest Gill’. Thank you once again for your support and I am looking forward to have you back again to W Singapore – Sentosa Cove. Best Regards, Paolo Frau Venue Manager, SKIRT

Reputation ruined by tainted food

my wife and I were guests in a party of 6 Last Friday night.  We had 5 steaks which were good. We took the captain's recommendation of 6 king sized Tiger prawns as starters.  We then had dessert and coffee. I must say coffee was very substandard n very diluted.  Overall service was poor as provided by lack of staff and inattentive staff.  It took time for us to get the service staff' attention.  The worst thing was two of us in the party of 6 suffered extreme diarrhea over the following two weekend days.  We certainly did not expect to have such unpleasant experience after an expensive meal in a upmarket eatery.  I am thoroughly disappointed with this dining experience.  Cannot be compared to say Morton's the steakhouse.
Management response from SKIRT, published 28 Sep 2015
Dear Steaklover123, Thank you for your review and let me again express my sincerest apologies for your experience and your discomfort. As per our conversation we take the safety of our guests very seriously and the carried out investigation showed no negative findings. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to showcase our true service culture during a future visit. Best Regards, Paolo Frau Venue Manager, SKIRT

Inconsistent food - consistently superb service!

My wife bought a sip and indulge membership earlier this year and we had 500 dollars of dining vouchers that we had to use up, naturally we went down to skirt as it had been on our dining to-go list for quiet sometime.

We went a total of three times to use up all the dining vouchers, however, each subsequent time we got a little more dissappointed at the quality of the food and the drinks.

The first visit there was amazing, everything was great. the blackmore beef was just superb! and the fresh bread and the chorizo oil was very fragrant. We could not get enough of it. During our first visit we also had some great cocktails and a wine flight which really added to the overall experience.

On our second visit, we decided to keep our meal within $150 for 2 so we ordered modestly and also got the smaller cuts of meat. the steaks were tiny, I cannot stress how tiny they were compared to the first time we visited skirt. We buy steaks on a regular basis from the supermarket and we can roughly gauge the size of a 200 gram flank/skirt steak... and this was a little ridiclously small.

On our third and final visit, we were actually staying at the W hotel so we decided to use the remaining of our vouchers at skirt. our third visit let us down again.

The steaks were seemingly not well aged their signature skirt stead had too much of an irony flavour to it and the well aged, pungent aroma was missing.

Overall, the ambiance and service are both excellent, attentive service in a morden steakhouse setting is seemingly the perfect place for a good meal. however i cannot say that the food is very consistant dispite dining there 3 times.

If you have bought the W hotel membership card and can get a discount off cut and have dining vouchers. i would say give skirt a shot. you may just love the great wines and the wonderful breads.

however as a steakhouse, i'd say that it still needs work.... alot of work from my last experience.
Management response from SKIRT, published 22 Dec 2014
Dear Lion Chan, Thank you for sharing with us your feedback on your dining experience at SKIRT, I am sorry to hear that, we did not meet your expectation in term of consistency and quality of food at the restaurant. I have shared your comments with the culinary team to rectify and ensure such concern will not happen in the future. Mr. Chan, it would be great if you can share with me in further details on your food experience so that we can enhance further the guest dining experience. May you decide to visit SKIRT another chance, please do let me know. Our chef would be more than happy to make recommendations for your dinner, Best regards, Paolo Frau Manager, SKIRT

Poor food - great service

I would only recommend SKIRT to friends if the food improves drastically

Compared to similarly priced steak restaurants in Singapore (Cut / Mortons) Skirt dissapoints constantly.

The portions of meat are tiny comparatively and the complexity of flavours are just not there.

one thing i always enjoy is the amazing freshly baked breads
Management response from SKIRT, published 11 Sep 2014
Dear Alance Wong, Thank you for your review. We apologize for not meeting your expectation during your recent dining experience with us. Your concerned about our cuisine has been addressed to our culinary team. Your valuable comment is extremely important for our next menu review and we will definitely improve. Hope that you will take this as an isloted issue and looking forward to welcome you again. Regards Subaramaniam Kuppusamy

Decent food, so-so steaks, great drinks, great girls night out

Came with my girls on a friday night, the place was not very packed and we were all excited to dine at skirt.

We were seated in a cosy booth seat, loved the ambiance and we also love the view from the restaurant.

We ordered a few sides, some meats to share and 2 cocktails each.

The cocktails were potent! We loved it with the freshly baked bread. it was superb.

The service was swift and our food arrived promptly.

The steaks however were a let down, they were small, and rather over cooked, as we all ordered medium rare, it was actually more on the medium side. I still prefere cut for steaks, the steaks at skirt lacks flavour and dept.

Overall a great girls night out, wouldent come back for the food, but for a nice time in sentosa, this is a great choice.

Also good for endless summer after parties!
Management response from SKIRT, published 15 Jul 2014
Dear Natalie Kim, Thank you for sharing your review. We are delighted that you have much enjoyed the ambiance and the service from our team and especially our hand crafted cocktail that compliments your overall dining experience. Your concern about the food has been addressed to our chef and culinary team for improvement. We hope that you will take this as an isolated issue and ensure that such experience will not re occur. We apologize and looking forward to serve you in the near future. Regards Subaramaniam Kuppusamy