Review for SKIRT

AmericanSteak and GrillsWestern
19 Apr 2014

Fire up the grill!

F
Ull review and photos at my blog!

I preferred the 500g bone-in striploin compared to the signature Wagyu SKirt steak, which seemed more flavorful rather than just having high marbling.

Good service and ambience, SKIRT is definitely a steakhouse I would recommend for special occasions and a magnificent steak. For steak connoisseurs who know specifically what type of beef they like, you’ll also be pleasantly surprised by the wide selection they have.
The management of SKIRT responded to this review:
21 Apr 2014
Dear Seth Lui,

Thank you for dining with us at SKIRT.

We appreciate the positive feedback and glad to know you enjoyed the bone-in striploin. We also take pride in our customer service and are happy to know that you had an enjoyable dining experience.

Do come back soon to try out the other dishes that we have on the menu.

Best Regards,
The Management
SKIRT

More reviews of SKIRT

Overall

Right choice for a birthday celebration

I was so impressed with my overall experience at Skirt that I felt compelled to write a review - and I'm not one to write reviews!

Their service won me over before we even dined in the restaurant. When I called to make a reservation and informed them that it was my bf's birthday, they asked me for his name and told me they would give us a complimentary slice of cake!

And when we arrived at the restaurant, the service was impeccable. The waiters were always around with a smile and extremely attentive to our needs, perhaps even too much!

As for the food, it was sumptuous. We had complimentary bread with chorizo oil (served in a dropper bottle - how cute!) and seaweed sauce. The bread was fluffy and the blend of flavours was interesting. We ordered a Blackmore Australian full-blood Wagyu skirt steak at $48 for 250g (their signature steak) to share. They served an apple bourbon palate cleanser before the mains arrived and to me this was an indication of how attentive they are to the overall dining experience. I've never tried skirt steak before but it was definitely one of the best steaks I've ever had. Although the medium was slightly on the raw side, the beef was very tender, juicy and flavourful (but not gamy!). My bf commented that it was the best steak he's ever had :) We also ordered wild sauteed mushrooms ($12) and asparagus with quail eggs and burnt butter ($8). The sides were surprisingly inexpensive and offer good bang for the buck. The mushrooms were juicy and soft and again, my mushroom-loving boyfriend said it was the best he's ever had. The asparagus was good though not out of this world. The burnt butter had a crunchiness to it and had the taste of caramel, adding a new dimension to the dish.

For dessert, we had our complimentary cake. It was good though nothing to rave about (can't complain because it's free!) but I was very touched by the gesture. We also ordered the torched honey meringue with coconut and pineapple ice cream ($18). The meringue melts in your mouth and the coconut ice-cream is light. It had pineapple chunks and a cake base to give it an added dimension. Definitely a must try if you're visiting Skirt!

On the whole, I have no doubt that Skirt was the right choice for my bf's birthday celebration. You can also take a walk along the bay to admire the yachts after dinner ;)
Management response from SKIRT, published 20 May 2014
Hi Amanda He,
Thank you for taking your time to write to us. We are really delighted to learn that you have such a fantastic experience in SKIRT. Your lovely comments will definitely be share with our team and we are looking forward to welcome you in the near future.
Regards
Subaramaniam Kuppusamy

SKIRT experience

I had never written any reviews of places that i went, till i landed up at SKIRT.
Reservation was a breeze.... and being the first timer, wasnt really sure what to expect.
Service was top notch! We were being constantly served /assured by 2 staff. Roxanne & August.
August was knowledgeable about the beef cuts, how it shud be prepared and even pairing of the wine based on individual preferneces.

Roxanne was accomodating since the time we stepped in till we left. Before leaving, i had to stop and asked for their names. She had a worried look and asked if i am going to make any complain to the management. If i was not satisifed, please let her know so she could resolve the matter.

I just smiled. I had every intention to let the management know that they have 2 top notch staff working for them and they should be rewarded by the management.

Food wise, being a meat lover, the choises there were unknow  to me. August was there to sort us out. We had the best steaks we had ever tasted. We dont even need to add any salt nor other condiments that were on offer.

Food serving portions can be deceptive. I should have listened to August when he said, you dont need the extra fries, just the asparagus will do. i ended up only eating 4-5 pieces of fires.
Would i return to SKIRT? on special occassions maybe due to prices.
A good dinw adn wine affair could cost you just over $200 for a fulfilling appetiser/main/shared side+some glasses of wine.

Food is never good on its own but with the company. And i am fortunate to have Roxanne and August as my company that night.

Management response from SKIRT, published 29 Jan 2016
Hi MANNY66, Thank you for your wonderful review! I am glad to read that were well taken care off throughout the night while you indulge in your dinner at SKIRT. Your compliments about our service are greatly appreciated; I am glad that Roxanne and August are at their best again! Thank you once again for your support and I am looking forward to welcome you back again to W Singapore – Sentosa Cove. Best Regards, Paolo Frau Venue Manager, SKIRT

Best steak I've ever had

I went to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday and it was one of most memorable dining experience I've ever had.

The food
We were served bread with some kind of red coloured oil (didn't catch the name) and artichoke dip while we wait for the dishes. And it was one of the freshest bread I've ever had. The inside were fluffy and the crisp on the skin is just prefect. I think it was right out of the oven as we ate another one after our meal ends (2 hours later), it was not as amazing anymore.
We ordered their King Prawns and Wagyu beef from Japan and it was AMAZING. It was certainly one of the best I've ever had. The prawns were big, juicy and flavourful and there are really no words to describe their beef. Tender and it melts in your mouth. The Apple Bourbon they served to heighten the taste sensory was amazingly good and effective.
We also ordered their Sautéed Portobello Mushroom, Garlic Fries Aioli and SKIRT Reinvented Caesar Salad. The Portobello Mushroom was sweet and nice but the garlic fries and ceasar salad was disappointing. Fries were an oily mush and ceasar salad were just normal with too much dressing. Nothing reinvented.
They also had quite a few selection of wines from all over the world and we opened a bottle of Shiraz to go with the beef but I'm not a wine person so no comment on that.

The ambience were definitely nice and the tables and seats were nicely arrannged with a lot of space to spare. I feel like I was dining in private due to the huge sofas but the decorations are a bit mismatched though. It's a steak house but the fish shaped decorations and the Middle Eastern looking lampshade makes me feel like they were going to serve Chinese stir-fry beef or steamed fish.

Their service was superb as well with the waiter coming over to explain the menu with smiles and we also had a complimentary cake due to my boyfriend's birthday. When I asked for their closing time, the staff asked me not to worry about it although it seems like they are closing very soon. I lost my camera at the taxi waiting area next door and the staff at SKIRT helped me to find my camera. (THANK YOU!)

Overall, I think the whole dining experience was a breathtaking one (boyfriend agreed). I will definitely return to try other dishes. Hope they will be just as great! Keep up the good job!

**Will add photos once I get back my camera. ;)
Management response from SKIRT, published 13 Nov 2015
Hello isabellmiao, Thank you for your review. I am thrilled to read about your fabulous dining experience at SKIRT. I am also glad to know that you were well taken care of by my dedicated team while indulging in your dinner. I am pleased to share with you that it is the chorizo oil that was served with our homemade bread. The prawns are indeed succulent and we always have great comments about our steaks. Your feedback about our fries and salad is important to us and I have shared with my culinary team for improvement. In fact we might completely reinvent one of them very soon. All our décor tells the story of beef; the chandeliers are actually handmade from genuine leather, and the glass-blown horns, infuse an old world charm into the ‘Boldest Gill’. Thank you once again for your support and I am looking forward to have you back again to W Singapore – Sentosa Cove. Best Regards, Paolo Frau Venue Manager, SKIRT
Overall

Reputation ruined by tainted food

my wife and I were guests in a party of 6 Last Friday night.  We had 5 steaks which were good. We took the captain's recommendation of 6 king sized Tiger prawns as starters.  We then had dessert and coffee. I must say coffee was very substandard n very diluted.  Overall service was poor as provided by lack of staff and inattentive staff.  It took time for us to get the service staff' attention.  The worst thing was two of us in the party of 6 suffered extreme diarrhea over the following two weekend days.  We certainly did not expect to have such unpleasant experience after an expensive meal in a upmarket eatery.  I am thoroughly disappointed with this dining experience.  Cannot be compared to say Morton's the steakhouse.
Management response from SKIRT, published 28 Sep 2015
Dear Steaklover123, Thank you for your review and let me again express my sincerest apologies for your experience and your discomfort. As per our conversation we take the safety of our guests very seriously and the carried out investigation showed no negative findings. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to showcase our true service culture during a future visit. Best Regards, Paolo Frau Venue Manager, SKIRT
Overall

Inconsistent food - consistently superb service!

My wife bought a sip and indulge membership earlier this year and we had 500 dollars of dining vouchers that we had to use up, naturally we went down to skirt as it had been on our dining to-go list for quiet sometime.

We went a total of three times to use up all the dining vouchers, however, each subsequent time we got a little more dissappointed at the quality of the food and the drinks.

The first visit there was amazing, everything was great. the blackmore beef was just superb! and the fresh bread and the chorizo oil was very fragrant. We could not get enough of it. During our first visit we also had some great cocktails and a wine flight which really added to the overall experience.

On our second visit, we decided to keep our meal within $150 for 2 so we ordered modestly and also got the smaller cuts of meat. the steaks were tiny, I cannot stress how tiny they were compared to the first time we visited skirt. We buy steaks on a regular basis from the supermarket and we can roughly gauge the size of a 200 gram flank/skirt steak... and this was a little ridiclously small.

On our third and final visit, we were actually staying at the W hotel so we decided to use the remaining of our vouchers at skirt. our third visit let us down again.

The steaks were seemingly not well aged their signature skirt stead had too much of an irony flavour to it and the well aged, pungent aroma was missing.

Overall, the ambiance and service are both excellent, attentive service in a morden steakhouse setting is seemingly the perfect place for a good meal. however i cannot say that the food is very consistant dispite dining there 3 times.

If you have bought the W hotel membership card and can get a discount off cut and have dining vouchers. i would say give skirt a shot. you may just love the great wines and the wonderful breads.

however as a steakhouse, i'd say that it still needs work.... alot of work from my last experience.
Management response from SKIRT, published 22 Dec 2014
Dear Lion Chan, Thank you for sharing with us your feedback on your dining experience at SKIRT, I am sorry to hear that, we did not meet your expectation in term of consistency and quality of food at the restaurant. I have shared your comments with the culinary team to rectify and ensure such concern will not happen in the future. Mr. Chan, it would be great if you can share with me in further details on your food experience so that we can enhance further the guest dining experience. May you decide to visit SKIRT another chance, please do let me know. Our chef would be more than happy to make recommendations for your dinner, Best regards, Paolo Frau Manager, SKIRT