Review for &SONS

EuropeanItalian
Address: #01-19, China Square Central, 20 Cross Street, 048422
22 Jul 2014
Overall

Great for drinks and hearty tapas

For more reviews, visit www.ms-skinnyfat.com

&SONS at China Square Central attempts to recreate the traditional bacaro vibe with their authentic Italian offerings. The decor is also similarly styled as the Venice bacaros though more spacious for sit down dining.   Prices are very reasonable here with food starting at $8 per plate, cocktails from $10 and wine from $8 per glass. The bar features an entirely Italian list of wines, craft beers, cocktails, grappa and the finest malt whiskies made available throughout the day. Apparently there's free flow of ciccheti with purchase of wines and cocktails. Certainly a great deal!    We started the meal with a Bellini with peach which was a mere $10. Decently spiked and delicious. S had the Whiskey Sour ($15) which was really strong IMO.   &SONS is the only place in Singapore to make its own specialty-cured meats and salami on premises in a custom-made curing room. These are great with the tipples I must say. Italian cheese are also available.    Pasta, the Italian staple, is a big feature at &Sons especially for lunch when they serve affordable big plates between $8-$10. The servings are huge. They also have a Sirloin Steak for only $12! We sampled the Homemade Tagliatelle Bolognese ($9). The pasta noodles are done perfectly and the meaty bits were plentiful but i thought it could do with a little more seasoning.   The pasta options at night at served in tapas portions. This encourages sharing of small plates like the typical bacaro. The portions are still very substantial and can feed 1 sufficiently. My favorite paste is still the Tagliolini, Crab & Nduja ($9) which was similar to what I had at Savour 2014. The Tagliolini is a thinner strand noodle with more pull and gave the impression that it were cheese.   If you're a cream and cheese fab, go for the Paccheri, Iberico Pork & Truffle. The paccheri (a large tube pasta) was stuffed with Iberico and cooked in tomato pesto served alongside a truffle besciamella. A little too heavy and bland for my liking.   Veal Ossobucco, Orzotto ($19) is a Milanese specialty of cross-cut veal shanks braised with vegetables, white wine and broth. There's also barley added to the mix. I didn't like this dish as it was too gamey.   My favorite meat dish of the night was the Baccala Cakes with Sea Urchin Sabayon ($13). The salted cod is mixed with béchamel sauce and potatoes and then coated with black squid ink crumbs and fried. The fish had a light texture that is kinda like fluff and it was all too easy to eat with the Uni cream.   Well the good thing about the smaller plates (they're by no means really small) is that I can have more variety! And then I'd have space for desserts! The Homemade Tiramisu and Pistachio Gelato ($5/scoop) were good. The tiramisu ice cream was essentially frozen tiramisu and chef is very generous with the alcohol. ;)
Crab Tangliolini, Bellini, Baccala Cakes

More reviews of &SONS

Good for lunch :)

Full review HERE

Good place for lunch - affordable and good food. We had pasta and salmon and both were enjoyable.
Will be back. Enterainer offers also available so we're looking forward to trying dinner too.

value for money lunch

&SONS Bacaro, located at China Square, offers hearty good value lunches.

At a recent visit, I had the Carbonara ($8) - done in a Singaporean way - lots of sauce and cream, which was fine except that it had a lavendar after taste to it that I did not quite like which could have been due to the use of some olive oil.

Also from the pasta menu was the Beef Cheek Ravioli ($10). This dish was wonderful and is a must try at the restaurant. The beef cheek melts in the mouth and pairs well with the rich cream sauce.

For my main course I had the Beef Sirloin ($12),a relatively large 250 g piece of beef done medium that retained its juices. Not the best quality of meat but at this price point one cannot complain.

I got upsold on a drink of Amalfi Lemon Lemonade ($6) which was just diluted lemon juice.  Beware of the drinks upsell.

Overall though, not the most fantastic of food, but at this price point it offers really good value, which is why it can be very popular at lunch.

still waiting...

Wife raves about it. Her food was fine but i sent mine back twice: once for cold potatoes and second as the chicken was burnt and tough as old boots. Yes they took it off the bill but im left holding my knife and fork and nothing else. Lunch time over....next time ask me if i want it replaced or if i want to order something else.

Perfect for small-eaters

For a full review, please visit: http://foodiepink.com/2014/11/13/sons-bacaro-china-square-central/. Enjoy :)

"During lunchtime, SONS Bacaro is crazily-crowded, thanks to their irresistible set lunch menus. While I never seem to have any luck in getting a table during lunch, I was here for dinner instead. I love the atmosphere of the restaurant in the evening – dim lightings and an air-well that lets the soft light reflect against the monochrome-checkered floor; the entire space looked like the interiors of a contemporary, upscale hotel. The concept of the restaurant is all about small plates. The menu is categorised into harvest, bread, pasta and so on. It’s like tapas, but in modern Italian style."
Overall

CHECK YOUR BILL CLOSELY!!!

Went there afterwork with a group of friends, had some drinks and food.
Had good moments until the bill came.
We noticed we were overcharged. Just two of us had some homemade coffee liquor shots: they charged 32 of them, but in a sneaky way, under some different names.
Even the manager seems to be part of the fraud:
- First words were ok we can cancel some drinks but not more than 7. As if we was used to those requests.
We went over the bill with the whole staff but even if they knew some of the drinks were not ours they just didn't care.
I've never been treated that way.

Place might be just fine for lunch but they really do not deserve any dollar.

Should have called the police to sort the all story out but who wants so waste it's Friday night?

DO NOT GO!