Back to Spice Brasserie2F, Parkroyal Hotel, 181 Kitchener Road

Buffet14 votes

Priyankac
 • 01 Nov 2013 186 reviews 2 followers
Overall
Gather your loved ones at Spice Brasserie, and tuck into their splendid crazy crab night on Saturday, 2 November. For just $58 per person, savour ten different crab dishes – from the pungent masala crab to the local-flavoured salted egg yolk crab. This buffet is usually held on Fridays, but its popularity has now made it a welcome extension for crab lovers on Saturdays – falling nicely on Deepavali as well. For sweet-toothed guests, the DIY ice kachang station would be a refreshing dessert to end the meal with. For more Indian restaurant reviews, read here http://www.hungrygowhere.com/dining-guide/what-to-eat/10-indian-restaurants-to-book-*aid-be2f3101/

Must tries: masala crab, salted egg yolk crab

Buffet, Children/Family, Dinner, Lunch

Hazelleo
 • 21 Oct 2013 69 reviews 1 follower
Overall
August month was my birthday month so my colleague decided to give me a treat. We decided to have a buffet dinner after work. Thus, we made a reservation on that day before headed over. Luckily we did as the place was crowded with customers.
 Penang Hawker foods with the compulsory signature dishes Penang Char Kway Teow and Penang Assam Laksa. The char kway teow version taste similar with the ones I had in Penang. But it is considered quite good in Singapore for me as the wide kway teow is soft and nicely fried with lap cheongs and chives. Penang Assam Laksa tasted delicious too.

There are other local varieties to choose from the buffet. There is Indian food sections such as their rojaks, chinese cooked dishes and also Teow Chew porridges with varieties of dishes to choose from. We are spoilt with the choices and there are sashimi too. The sashimi are displayed at the sashimi counter and the chef will only prepare to cut to slices upon request.

Seafood sections are available next to sashimi counter. Fresh prawns and mussels are displayed. Cold salads are ready to consume as well.

As for desserts section, there are sweet cakes and puddings available.Nyonya kueh are available too. I also get to DIY ice kacang with my own choices of ingredients. Coffee and Tea sections are available as well. These are practically standard sections that not to be miss out from buffet list.

For more food reviews: http://www.hazeldiary.com

Must tries: Sashimi, Penang fried kway teow (Mon to Thurs), Japanese Counter

After Work, Buffet

Management

Dear Hazelleo

Thank you for dining with us at Spice Brasserie. We appreciate you taking time out to review on your dining experience.

We are delighted to know you enjoyed the Penang Char Kway Teow and Penang Assam Laksa. Be sure to try out the other buffets that we are offering as well.

We hope to have you and your colleague dining with us again soon.

Warmest Regards
The Management
Spice Brasserie

22 October 2013

lily w 93
 • 06 Oct 2013 5 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Went for the Crab Buffet on 4 Oct.

Quite a few Crab dishes including Chilli Crab, Salted egg Crab, herbal Crab , etc.
It was Pretty good the 1st round but on my 2nd helping, realised that the standard was not consistent.
Besides the Crabs, there were also live cooking stations offering Char Kuey Teow and Fried Carrot Cake, both not of high standard, and bland.
The Carrot Cake could be passed off as a young chef doing his maiden dish.
You can get better ones outside this Hotel.

Live cooking also included freshly stir fry Veg upon your order but this station was mostly empty with the chef having  free time on his hands.
There were also curry dishes to go with Naan and two or three malay dishes, of reasonable standard, definitely not out of this world.
Coffee and Tea were good , so was Ice Cream that came with 4 flavours.
Desserts such as Cakes were pretty bad and an extreme disappointment;  Lapis cake seemed store bought, the swiss rolls seemed to be those factory-made in Malaysia. And no, unlike what bloggers say, there were no pastries, no pies, etc.
Overall a major disappointment. This hotel is at least 30 years old, back when I was a kid, I was here before, then I was here in the 90s for their Teochew Porridge, the last time I was here was about 3 years ago when the desser station has opera cake, good quality nonya kueh, etc.
They then should know, based on their experience that impressions count. One cannot put in effort on the Crab dishes and leave other sections of the buffet to chance.